C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C4 speakers

OK guys and gals...93 with non Bose speakers... they're shot...any good aftermarket bolt in speakers? Car is a rag top if it matters. Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have a '95 non-Bose and am looking for new speakers also. I sent a PM to Dennis at Double D Mods for his recommendations. I was looking for something like the $79.95 Kicker set they have for the C5's that have good reviews. Dennis answered my PM that he will look into what might be good, and get back to me with a recommendation.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

There are two major problems w/the C4 speakers; Bose OR Base;
1. The front speakers are way too small, and that is forced by the location/packaging -especially in the later C4's.
2. The full-on CARPET, used as speaker covers. Totally kills the mids and highs. Heck, the carpet kills the...sound! It's ridiculous.

For these reasons, I don't feel that I can honestly recommend "any good aftermarket bolt in speakers". IMO, the only real solution is to create your own enclosure to fit a larger speaker in the front, then get rid of that carpet and cover with proper speaker covering that actually passes sound through. It will totally wake up the system.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "carpet" over the speakers is so thin you can practically read a newspaper through it. I just replaced all 4 speakers. 5 1/4 in the front and 6x9s in the rear. It sounds awesome and I used the factory carpet covers.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
There are two major problems w/the C4 speakers; Bose OR Base;
1. The front speakers are way too small, and that is forced by the location/packaging -especially in the later C4's.
2. The full-on CARPET, used as speaker covers. Totally kills the mids and highs. Heck, the carpet kills the...sound! It's ridiculous.

For these reasons, I don't feel that I can honestly recommend "any good aftermarket bolt in speakers". IMO, the only real solution is to create your own enclosure to fit a larger speaker in the front, then get rid of that carpet and cover with proper speaker covering that actually passes sound through. It will totally wake up the system.
I did a later C4 corvette a few weeks ago and you are right, the carpet does kill the system even on better aftermarket speakers.

What i did what i recovered the speakers with a thinner material like on the earlier C4's in an exact match color.

I wish i had pictures of it. When you are close-up you can tell it is different but just sitting in the seat looking down at it you barely notice it.

It greatly improves the sound to where you can hear the mids and highs unlike with the full carpet covering on top of it.

It allows the full listening experience. Other than if you use an amp to make it even better
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

^This guy^ "Get's it".
Originally Posted by Guapo's 94
The "carpet" over the speakers is so thin you can practically read a newspaper through it.
^This guy^, doesn't. Negative. That is a GROSS exaggeration...and borderline, misinformation.

Have you peeled the carpet off and looked at it? I have.
Have you swapped the carpet for real speaker cover material? I have.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by Guapo's 94
The "carpet" over the speakers is so thin you can practically read a newspaper through it. I just replaced all 4 speakers. 5 1/4 in the front and 6x9s in the rear. It sounds awesome and I used the factory carpet covers.
If you are talking about an 84'-89' corvette then yes you could probably read a newspaper through it. But, anything later than that if you can read a newspaper through it then you must be superman or something haha

Not trying to be mean or anything just pointing that out.

I have installed sound systems in multiple later style C4's and my own earlier style C4. So, that is where my experience comes from.

Last edited by Red89'-L98; 05-05-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

On my 1992 I put in an entirely new system I bought from Double D Mods. I got right down next to a front speaker with the system playing and listened to the speaker. I then took off the speaker cover, which I just had sitting in place, and noticed no difference in the quality of the sound. The factory cloth over the speakers on MY car looks like regular carpet when you look at it while it is installed but it is definitely not when you look at it from behind, with light shining through it..
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

I can't speak for your cars. MY car has very thin carpet over the front speaker enclosures. The gentleman I purchased the car from did a lot of small upgrades(and 1 big 1vroom vroom!). Please do not insinuate that I am lying or am misinformed. I know exactly what I am talking about as it refers to MY car. I have not examined any other c4 corvette but mine. Jackasses
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
On my 1992 I put in an entirely new system I bought from Double D Mods. I got right down next to a front speaker with the system playing and listened to the speaker. I then took off the speaker cover, which I just had sitting in place, and noticed no difference in the quality of the sound. The factory cloth over the speakers on MY car looks like regular carpet when you look at it while it is installed but it is definitely not when you look at it from behind, with light shining through it..
Oh look, Tom and Red, another forum member that can't hear a difference between the enclosures on and off. You must be GROSSLY exaggerating...and borderline, deaf...
Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Maybe...or the person who can't hear a difference is the one who is deaf. That seams far more likely to me.

On a less dick-headed note, maybe there is a difference in the carpet covers of our late cars. There are certainly some polarized opinions here. My car, just removing the carpet was literally like installing a new system. The difference wasn't slight...it was profound. And, there was absolutely no "reading news papers" through my carpet. You couldn't even see light through it. Mine is a '92, BTW.

Maybe others' carpets have rotted, started falling apart? Maybe they sourced carpet from different vendors? IDK...but I know that on MY '92, there was no "reading" though that thick, dense, carpet speaker cover. There was also very little sound going through it.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-05-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

Clearly there is a difference. My 94 has paper thin carpet. Maybe the guys in Kentucky realized the sound quality was poor with the full carpet and decided to go with the much thinner style. I apologize for being pissy.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought my 1992 with 49000 miles on it and the entire interior was stock. The cover over the speakers is definitely NOT regular carpet.

I have done upholstery on collector cars for 25 years and recognize the difference. Also, when I installed the new stereo system I removed all the carpet and installed sound deadener, so I got a good look at what the carpet is like. It is not the same as what is over the speakers. I checked it out as I was thinking about replacing the speaker covers as I had read they killed the sound. When I found out it made no difference with the speaker cover on or off I just left it original.
The above pertains to my experience with my car, only.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I bought my 1992 with 49000 miles on it and the entire interior was stock. The cover over the speakers is definitely NOT regular carpet.

I have done upholstery on collector cars for 25 years and recognize the difference. Also, when I installed the new stereo system I removed all the carpet and installed sound deadener, so I got a good look at what the carpet is like. It is not the same as what is over the speakers. I checked it out as I was thinking about replacing the speaker covers as I had read they killed the sound. When I found out it made no difference with the speaker cover on or off I just left it original.
The above pertains to my experience with my car, only.
This is weird b/c my car is also a '92....and it was also bone stock when I got it. Carpet over the speakers looked and felt exactly like all the rest of the carpet -especially the carpet covering the door sill cover.

I remember thinking that although it LOOKED like carpet, I thought, "I'm sure GM would be smart enough to use some material that looks like thick carpet, but passes sound." I figured that when I pulled the speaker cover and it was back lit, you'd be able to see right through the stuff. But that wasn't the cast at all, w/my car.

I pulled my speaker cover carpet off the plastic moulded cover, and it was thick (>1/4", it had a base and a plasitcy backing holding the base together(?). I wish I had kept the junk...I'd take a pic and post it. But on MY '92, it was carpet.

I don't "get" the diff, in same year cars. (?)

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-06-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 speakers

Quick Reply: C4 speakers