C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paypal Payment

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Paypal Payment

Okay, my wife decided she is not willing to drive the 1992 I got several months ago after I got it in pretty good shape. Hence I decided to sell it, I have a service members wanted to buy it. I guess he is assigned in a disclosed location, which I can relate as a retiree and have been in similar situation.

Here's the problem, he is asking for information so he can send the funds via Paypal and some shipper will pick up the car. I've heard funny transaction taking place with buyer sending a shipper to pick a can.

Any comments: Is this one of those SCAM? Can paypal receive funds and be available for withdraw immediately?
This is content of the email I received.

"OK.I got your email . Well, av gone through your ad and from what I have seen,it is priced favorably compared to others so I want you to consider it sold to me because I am ready to buy it for the asking price.I am Tech Sgt Robert Amor currently on duty serving the country.Presently I am out of town on duty in a remote area until June 22. We have a bad and fluctuating network here otherwise I would have called you and seal the deal on phone. At the moment, email and text messages works best for me.Nevertheless,I am ready to seal the deal right away and pay you via my PayPal account that is attached to my bank account as it is the only secure form of payment that I have access to right now. So,kindly get back to me with your FULLNAME,PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS,PHONE NUMBER AND THE PICKUP ADDRESS. so that I can initiate the payment immediately.If you don't have a paypal account, it is absolutely free to set one up, kindly visit www.paypal.com.A shipper will be hired that will come for the pick up upon the completion of the payment aspect of the transaction.Let me have the requested details to proceed with the payment if we have a deal. TY Sincerely, Robert"
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

SCAM !! Run Forrest run.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

It speaks for itself! Read it "one more time" slowly!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to be believed. Steer clear.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I almost hope you're joking, because every word of that email screams SCAM in a big way.

Move on to the next potential buyer.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in law was selling his Harley on Ebay and got almost the exact email! When he said that he would only accept cash the scam artist never replied again and deleted his account!

Trust me, this is a scam!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewalker11
My father in law was selling his Harley on Ebay and got almost the exact email! When he said that he would only accept cash the scam artist never replied again and deleted his account!

Trust me, this is a scam!
Thank you everyone, at my ages I am still in the "Good Olde" days mind set. Advise noted and I am "RUNNING".
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Listed are some other scams
www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/fraud.shtml
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd bet the scammer who contacted you noticed your US Navy Veteran status and declared himself as one of your service brothers only to entice you. Ignore that contact! Definitely up to no good!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 AM
salt6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Any comments: Is this one of those SCAM? Can paypal receive funds and be available for withdraw immediately?
To answer this part of your question, Yes all you need is the paypal debit/credit card.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

tell him to have his parents or a brother or sister pay for it with a certified check or a postal money order.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe...but if the money gets put into his paypal account, not sure where the scam part is??? Easy enough to contact paypal to have them confirm the funds are authentic and then pull the cash out so it can't be taken back. Usually scams are the other way around where they ask you to put up some money in order to get more funds in return.

In any case, could just say you want a bankers check and once cleared you'll setup a pickup address or that once the funds are confirmed in the paypal account you'll setup the pickup address.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...stion5-outside

Last edited by bac22; 05-12-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Maybe...but if the money gets put into his paypal account, not sure where the scam part is??? Easy enough to contact paypal to have them confirm the funds are authentic and then pull the cash out so it can't be taken back. Usually scams are the other way around where they ask you to put up some money in order to get more funds in return.

In any case, could just say you want a bankers check and once cleared you'll setup a pickup address or that once the funds are confirmed in the paypal account you'll setup the pickup address.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...stion5-outside
I agree. Never heard of funds being put into a PayPal account and then not being there. Be advised that PayPal will take money out of your checking or savings account that it is tied to if they determine that they need the money back,
Unless maybe it's a credit card transaction and the card turns out not to be good. I'd run anyway. If he wants the car he can send cash with the pickup

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 05-12-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Don't take a chance, just wait till someone is ready to put the money or certified check in your "hand"....WW
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default WARNING - fake paypal link

WARNING - FAKE PAYPAL LINK - scam, scam, scam!!! DON'T reply to this guy in any way, shape, or form. don't bother to open his emails - forward all his correspondence to your junk or spam email folders. finally, don't click on the paypal link in his email - the "dot-A" is a dead give-away it's bogus. he may not even be interested in the car, but gambling that you'll open the fake paypal site, and enter all kinds of info. notice that the "dot-A" is cleverly structured as part of the next sentence, ".A shipper will be hired..." this butt-cavity may be sending the same email out by the thousands.

Last edited by Joe C; 05-12-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Definitely a scam, but it would be fun to ask this guy about his service. Ask where he's stationed and what specific unit he's in. Ask for his APO/FPO address. Also ask for his MOS; not what he does, just the MOS. Rank of "Tech Sgt"? Isn't that rank only used in the USAF??

I think you won't hear back from him.... If he does reply, post it here.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 05-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
WARNING - FAKE PAYPAL LINK - scam, scam, scam!!! DON'T reply to this guy in any way, shape, or form. don't bother to open his emails - forward all his correspondence to your junk or spam email folders. finally, don't click on the paypal link in his email - the "dot-A" is a dead give-away it's bogus. he may not even be interested in the car, but gambling that you'll open the fake paypal site, and enter all kinds of info. notice that the "dot-A" is cleverly structured as part of the next sentence, ".A shipper will be hired..." this butt-cavity may be sending the same email out by the thousands.
100%.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm like all the others, when I was in the service, and cell phone not invented, I didn't care were I was in the world, I was alway called home. Now with todays technically there isn't such thing can't text or call. Think about it.
Run, and don't look back.

Get notified of new replies

To Paypal Payment

Quick Reply: Paypal Payment