C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

vats

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vats

i have a 1985 corvette dose anyone know how to bypass vats on this key has no pod in it thats the way i got the car can some one help
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by gremlin12
i have a 1985 corvette dose anyone know how to bypass vats on this key has no pod in it thats the way i got the car can some one help
If you have a key that rotates the cylinder and you actually have a VATS issue you could get someone with a VATS Interrogator to determine the resistance by trial and error. It sometimes be a rather stressful experience. Your key only has a hole where the resistor was or it's a brass work key that came with the cylinder.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 PM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you have a key that rotates the cylinder and you actually have a VATS issue you could get someone with a VATS Interrogator to determine the resistance by trial and error. It sometimes be a rather stressful experience. Your key only has a hole where the resistor was or it's a brass work key that came with the cylinder.
the car starts up and runs for 3 sec and then it turns the the injectors off if i spray starter fluid it will stay on
Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it is not a vats problem if it is doing that
Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

and unless im mistaken Vats did not start till 1986 someone correct me if Im wrong on that
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Your car does not have VATS -- that started in 1986.

Check for error codes:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

What they mean:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576116036-post35.html

I suggest you get a fuel pressure gauge and then check the pressure under the following conditions:
1 - Turn on ignition -- do not start the engine.
2 - Start engine and let it idle.
3 - Turn off engine and check fuel pressure after 15 minutes.

Obviously you can't do #2 if the engine won't start, but do #1 and #3 and let us know what happens.

But wait, there's more...

When you first turn on the ignition the ECM turns on the fuel pump by turning on the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds. This pressurizes the fuel rails in preparation for starting the engine. The ECM turns off the fuel pump after 2 seconds so that the fuel pump won't run continuously if the ignition is turned on but the engine is not started.

The ECM again turns on the fuel pump when it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. From your description it appears that this is not happening.

The ECM uses the DRPs to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine, whether cranking or running.

It appears that your engine is running on the fuel from the cold start injector but the injectors are never being fired (missing DRPs from ignition module to ECM -- or the ECM itself could be bad). You can have your ignition module tested at most auto parts stores. It is connected to the ECM through a 4 wire harness that comes out of the back of the distributor. Note that the ignition module gets very hot and needs to have THERMAL (NOT dielectric) grease under it.

One more thing... The cold start thermo switch times out after 8 seconds of cranking (it's turned on by the ignition switch in the CRANK position). That means that the engine probably won't fire at all after the first couple of tries.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 05-14-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hooked073
and unless im mistaken Vats did not start till 1986 someone correct me if Im wrong on that
i do have a security light that stays on thou not sure why i have at a school and they r looking at it
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 AM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Your car does not have VATS -- that started in 1986.

Check for error codes:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

What they mean:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576116036-post35.html

I suggest you get a fuel pressure gauge and then check the pressure under the following conditions:
1 - Turn on ignition -- do not start the engine.
2 - Start engine and let it idle.
3 - Turn off engine and check fuel pressure after 15 minutes.

Obviously you can't do #2 if the engine won't start, but do #1 and #3 and let us know what happens.

But wait, there's more...

When you first turn on the ignition the ECM turns on the fuel pump by turning on the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds. This pressurizes the fuel rails in preparation for starting the engine. The ECM turns off the fuel pump after 2 seconds so that the fuel pump won't run continuously if the ignition is turned on but the engine is not started.

The ECM again turns on the fuel pump when it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. From your description it appears that this is not happening.

The ECM uses the DRPs to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine, whether cranking or running.

It appears that your engine is running on the fuel from the cold start injector but the injectors are never being fired (missing DRPs from ignition module to ECM -- or the ECM itself could be bad). You can have your ignition module tested at most auto parts stores. It is connected to the ECM through a 4 wire harness that comes out of the back of the distributor. Note that the ignition module gets very hot and needs to have THERMAL (NOT dielectric) grease under it.

One more thing... The cold start thermo switch times out after 8 seconds of cranking (it's turned on by the ignition switch in the CRANK position). That means that the engine probably won't fire at all after the first couple of tries.
ok thex i let the school that is looking at it know thx for the help
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Mike (87 Vette)
Heel & Toe

I have a different VATS question. I measured the resistance of my VATS key (the only one of 3 keys that still has a working resistor). Then I found online somewhere a table for how to translate the resistance to a VATS code. Then I ordered a new blank VATS key from Ecklers or somewhere. I now have the key, but need to get it cut.

Where's a good place to get a blank VATS key cut? It's getting hard to find stores where you can still hand a key to an actual human to cut it for you.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (87 Vette)
I have a different VATS question. I measured the resistance of my VATS key (the only one of 3 keys that still has a working resistor). Then I found online somewhere a table for how to translate the resistance to a VATS code. Then I ordered a new blank VATS key from Ecklers or somewhere. I now have the key, but need to get it cut.

Where's a good place to get a blank VATS key cut? It's getting hard to find stores where you can still hand a key to an actual human to cut it for you.
I usually go into true value hardware, they cut the key manually and charge me 3-4 bucks.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike (87 Vette)

if u look on youtube u can bypass the vats on 86 to 90 something get a ohm meeter on it and test the ohms and the highest number will be ur value then under the dash there is a orange wire u put the resister on then u do not need the pod key any more or they sell a bypass for the 86 to 90 something
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 PM
gremlin12
Intermediate

if u look on youtube u can bypass the vats on 86 to 90 something get a ohm meeter on it and test the ohms and the highest number will be ur value then under the dash there is a orange wire u put the resister on then u do not need the pod key any more or they sell a bypass for the 86 to 90 something

Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

You are not by passing Vats even thou that is the pouplar thinking, You are only elimiting the key part of it. There are quite a few other things that make vats work. so you could still have vats problems even by installing the resister part. Vats is not as big of a problem as you are lead to belive get the right key cut and you will be fine
Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

i do have a security light that stays on thou not sure why i have at a school and they r looking at it
The VATS system is connected to the SECURITY light in 1990 and later cars.

The earlier cars have the SECURITY light connected to the UTD (Universal Theft Deterrent) system -- the one operated by the door locks. It works like this:

SECURITY light flashing -- door is open, system is NOT armed.
SECURITY light on solid -- door is open, system IS armed.
SECURITY light is off -- door is closed or ignition is turned on.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
gremlin12
Intermediate

The earlier cars have the SECURITY light connected to the UTD (Universal Theft Deterrent) system -- the one operated by the door locks. It works like this:

can u bypass this system
Old 05-17-2014, 12:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

can u bypass this system
Yes, but why would you want to? It honks the horn and disables the starter. Nothing else.

If the horn is not honking and the starter is working then there is no need to bypass it.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:33 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How does that light work on pre-90 cars when the SECURITY light comes on solid while driving the car? Had the key bypassed and VATS turned off in the tune. And sometimes the SECURITY light would come on anyways and the car wouldn't turn over i.e. VATS. So bypassed the Starter Enable Relay to remove the final VATS obstacle. But the SECURITY light coming on solid at random times is a little annoying even coming on after the car is already running.

Get notified of new replies

To vats

Old 05-17-2014, 05:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonb
How does that light work on pre-90 cars when the SECURITY light comes on solid while driving the car? Had the key bypassed and VATS turned off in the tune. And sometimes the SECURITY light would come on anyways and the car wouldn't turn over i.e. VATS. So bypassed the Starter Enable Relay to remove the final VATS obstacle. But the SECURITY light coming on solid at random times is a little annoying even coming on after the car is already running.
You need to be doing diagnostics for the UTD system. Your FSM will give you the proper diagnostics for he system, there's been a VATS question asked for a "no VATS car and comments for both an early and late VATS so there's no need changing the subject here again.

I tried to get the OP to commit to what his key was to see if maybe he just had an incorrect cylinder installed in the column, a replacement column and he responded correctly mentioning that he had a crank, runs and quits which meant that the key even if it were a VATS with "NO POD" (his description) wasn't important because he actually has a NO VATS '85 car. OP mentioned VATS problem, at the time is his car an '85 really or what? Runs and quits answered the question.

The '84 - '89 "Forced Entry Module" is the same so anyone with experience with the system for any of those years should be able to help. Maybe your own thread and mention "Forced Entry" or UTD but no mention VATS.

I would guess the first thing I'd check for is a bad door theft arming switch. If an arming switch were bad it would seem to likely give you the security light. Those are '84 - '87 only one style. The '88 & '89 are different. It would be a good "stand alone" thread I'd think. You're likely not alone.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-17-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
gremlin12
Intermediate

Yes, but why would you want to? It honks the horn and disables the starter. Nothing else.

If the horn is not honking and the starter is working then there is no need to bypass it.
the reason i want to bypass it is sometimes it will not let me turn it over and i have to disconnect the battery and its a pain so can u let me know how to get rid of it please
Old 05-18-2014, 12:20 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

5-14
the car starts up and runs for 3 sec and then it turns the injectors off
if i spray starter fluid it will stay on

the reason i want to bypass it is sometimes it will not let me turn it over
So which problem do you ACTUALLY have
The one where it won't crank over (could be related to the security system )
or one where is won't fire up without spraying fluid ?????

Two completely different unrelated problems.

Quick Reply: vats