C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1993 C4 brake bleed process?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Bradmarcus54
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 C4 brake bleed process?

I am 18 years old and am the new owner of a '93 vette, and I'm about to install a new brake booster and master cylinder because the booster has a rip allowing the vacuum to be less effective when braking(very annoying, by the way) and the master cylinder is leaking so I might as well replace that while I have the booster removed. The car has 71,000 miles and both parts are stock so it's about that time to change them out.

My question is, I know I have to bleed the brake system of it's fluid, but I've never done this process before. So what is the best way to bleed the brake fluid, and what is a detailed description of what I need to do when putting brake fluid into the system after installing a new booster and master that came in the mail today?

All advice is greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

install speedbleeders in each of the calipers. makes the process much easier.

If you have the means, do the C5 Z06 brake upgrade.

I used the below write-up as a guide to working on the booster:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...with-pics.html
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure what type of tools ect that you have so Im going to give you a way that anyone should be able to do in the back yard. First break the lines loose on the master cyl while it is still mounted. Then snug them up a little so you can remove then latter without a lot of force. Then remove the booster and install the new one. next mount the new mater cyl to the booster and add fluid. You will need a helper with this step. Have the helper slowly push down the brake pedal when he has it to the floor cover the openings where the lines attach with your finger so they are sealed. Have the helper do the same again you will want fluid to excape from your fingers while he is pressing it down but when he is to the floor your fingers need to be firm enough so no air can get pass them do this several times this will bleed most of the air out of the master if done right. You could also buy or make a master bleeding kit for a few bucks some reman master cyl come with it. Now remove the lines from the old master and install them on the new.
One thing I forgot to add make sure you tie up the old master so it is not just dangling

The way I like to bleed the system is gravady bleeding. Fill up your master cyl. Go to the rear of the car and loosen the RR bleader put a pan down let the fluid run till the resivor on the master is close to being empty. tighten the bleeder then go to the LR do the same then the RF do the same and then the LF this should do it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

You will never regret putting in speed bleeders, I would never be without them again.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Speed Bleeders are nice (I have them), but a quick and cheap substitute is a "one man brake bleeder". I got mine at Pep Boys and used it for about 30 years:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ot...FXMA7Aod0lQAlQ

It's basically the same thing as the Speed Bleeders, a one way check valve. It allows the fluid to go out but doesn't allow it to get sucked back into the caliper.

DON'T get one similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man...kit-37201.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 C4 brake bleed process?

Quick Reply: 1993 C4 brake bleed process?