Temperature engine when race

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:04 PM
robbys65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temperature engine when race

Hy guys
i have a 1994 LT1 Corvette with Exotic Muscle long tube headers wout cats and wout egr recycle gas and open muffler, open air box with KN air filter and 52mm throttle, 160° water valve and hypertehc programm and
last saturday i have raced with it in a Marzaglia Green Circuit near Modena and after 4 fast laps i found very high temperature of engine like water 100° and oil engine at 140° celsius. At that point i have run slowly for 2 laps so the temperature come perfect and then i have raced again and again the temperature go up. I want to know by your experience if is all OK for the C4 because i have seen the stock C 5, C6, C6 Z06 and Camaro have raced at full throttle for over 20 minute without problem ?!?!?!
No problem an daily traffic or highway

Thanks Guys for your suggestion

Robert Italy

Last edited by robbys65; 05-21-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Those temps are in the upper end but my combo has been okay with the same temps. In many many cars if you're going to race the first thing you start making better is the cooling systems. A lot of fun can be had in a car that is stock with fluid coolers and safety equipment only.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Water temp is ok, 100 Celsius = 212 degrees

Oil temp is high, approaching 300 degrees. Extended operation over 3000 rpm
requires an oil cooler.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Make sure the A/C condenser and the radiator are completely free of dirt and debris. The less area there is for airflow, the higher the temps can be. You can start cleaning using a vacuum to clean the front of the condenser. Then put the vacuum hose between the radiator and condenser( you may have to remove the air intake box and the plastic cover over the radiator) to suck up anything in that area.

To finish off, use a hose to direct a stream of water thru the fins of the radiator and condenser. You may find that you will see some very dirty water fall to the ground.....

Your coolant temps are OK but if you are going to continue with events, I would definitely suggest a separate oil cooler. What oil and weight are you using for the events?

What was the air temps on that day? High ambient air temps can make a difference. I have run at events where the air temp approached 30 degrees C and higher which resulted in coolant temps about 10 degrees higher than normal.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 05-22-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
robbys65
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Make sure the A/C condenser and the radiator are completely free of dirt and debris. The less area there is for airflow, the higher the temps can be. You can start cleaning using a vacuum to clean the front of the condenser. Then put the vacuum hose between the radiator and condenser( you may have to remove the air intake box and the plastic cover over the radiator) to suck up anything in that area.

To finish off, use a hose to direct a stream of water thru the fins of the radiator and condenser. You may find that you will see some very dirty water fall to the ground.....

Your coolant temps are OK but if you are going to continue with events, I would definitely suggest a separate oil cooler. What oil and weight are you using for the events?

What was the air temps on that day? High ambient air temps can make a difference. I have run at events where the air temp approached 30 degrees C and higher which resulted in coolant temps about 10 degrees higher than normal.

Ambient air temperature was around 30° celsius and my oil engine is Mobil 1 5W30 with only 500 Kilometers.
The condenser and the water radiator are very clean because under the front end where there is the hole for the radiators air i have installed a wire mesh to prevent dirt getting on the radiators.
I think the best solution is to add a oil cooler and change the stock oil pan with another more biggest.On race the engine has worked every lap for 80% continuously over 5.000 RPM.
But anyway sunday morning i have changed the oil engine and filter with another
Mobil 1 5W30 because i'm sure the engine appreciate a new oil.

THANKS

Regards

Robert

Last edited by robbys65; 05-22-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I agree that your water temps are fine.

I don't think your oil is "too high" either. 140c is 280f and that is O.K. for synthetic oil. Your oil can take it.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:01 AM
robbys65
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I agree that your water temps are fine.

I don't think your oil is "too high" either. 140c is 280f and that is O.K. for synthetic oil. Your oil can take it.
Thanks Tom

here in Italy we have not experience on the Corvette and we have always afraid to break something because for to repair it we need to wait a lot time for to find the piece, for to wait it arrive from USA to Italy, for the tax cost for it, etc..etc.. and the car need to stay in stop

Robert

Last edited by robbys65; 05-23-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'd recommend starting with:
Dewitts Radiator
Canton Oil Pan
Then a good oil cooler. A lot of options there.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

coolant at 100C = 212 F. Your fans don't come on until your at about 228. So your coolant temp is not an issue. And it your in the 5000 RPM range going around the track....your getting plenty of air to cool things down.

Your oil is a little too hot. You could help cool that down by changing out the rocker arms from the pressed/formed steel to roller rockers. That will drop you temp a little. Next I would also agree on the oil cooler if you can install one. New oil will help.

Get notified of new replies

To Temperature engine when race

Quick Reply: Temperature engine when race