C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Paint

After having her for 10 plus years, many mods later it finally gets a paint job. This car and I have a long run together and I'm extremely happy for what it has become.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very Nice!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
92vetterob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.... How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking

Rob
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Pic's of front spring?....
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
pic's of front spring?....
lol...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:13 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 92vetterob
Very nice.... How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking

Rob
I'd prefer not to say.. Lets say I didn't get taken for a ride

The body itself was in good shape and only needed minor work.. most of the problem was fade.

It was painted its orginal color which is silver metallic
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM
92vetterob
Instructor

Originally Posted by qws

The body itself was in good shape and only needed minor work.. most of the problem was fade.

Well it looks great!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Very nice!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Sweet! What finally happened to the front spring issue?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:09 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Sweet! What finally happened to the front spring issue?
Thanks
Well I was determine to figure out what was going on. I found a lower control arm bound up and wouldn't allow the car to settle. I did cut rubber off the upper side of the monospring as well. Now the car sets just like it did with the coilovers. Since its all together I decided to just sell the coilovers and keep the spring in place.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Looks good
Old 05-26-2014, 05:33 PM
dtana
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qws

I apologize if this is intrusive, but one hears a wide range of quoted figures for Corvette paint jobs & I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd rather not say. You seem happy with the result, & we can see the results.............so it would be a great help for those of us who don't understand Corvette paint costs. Without some sort of a number we are instead left with third person accounts & figures that are casually thrown around & have no way to assess the paint job to expect for whatever price point we're considering. Could you at least give us a ballpark? Again, I apologize, I'm not trying to badger or corner you.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:34 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Looks Great
Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dtana
I apologize if this is intrusive, but one hears a wide range of quoted figures for Corvette paint jobs & I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd rather not say. You seem happy with the result, & we can see the results.............so it would be a great help for those of us who don't understand Corvette paint costs. Without some sort of a number we are instead left with third person accounts & figures that are casually thrown around & have no way to assess the paint job to expect for whatever price point we're considering. Could you at least give us a ballpark? Again, I apologize, I'm not trying to badger or corner you.
There are a lot of reasons why. What I've had found, is most paint jobs cost between $3-$10K. Every area is different. I can go to 2 places around me and they want $10k for the same quality job as some may offer a $4k paint job. Mine went to a shop that is very reputable and well known. The quality of work is second to none and very fairly priced. Even put some weather strip, and window sweeps on for me. If your looking to get yours done then I would suggest to shop in your area and talk to people and learn who's good or not.

Why is the price so important?... I started the thread just to show the new paint, not compare prices.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 PM
dtana
Racer

Originally Posted by qws
There are a lot of reasons why. What I've had found, is most paint jobs cost between $3-$10K. Every area is different. I can go to 2 places around me and they want $10k for the same quality job as some may offer a $4k paint job. Mine went to a shop that is very reputable and well known. The quality of work is second to none and very fairly priced. Even put some weather strip, and window sweeps on for me. If your looking to get yours done then I would suggest to shop in your area and talk to people and learn who's good or not.

Why is the price so important?... I started the thread just to show the new paint, not compare prices.
I fight it interesting that you stated there "are a lot of reasons".............yet you didn't really give one. As for your price range of $3-$10k, ok, I guess I'll accept that but in all candor that is like saying most new cars sell for between $30k & $100k. While certainly a truthful statement, it can hardly be accused of providing any real guidance.

To answer your question directly, price is important for a lot of reasons. Without price there's no way to really judge a paint job, or the quality of a shirt or the value of a car. If no one discusses prices, then how can anyone determine what is reasonable?

I understand that you started the thread to show the new paint job. I was just hoping for something a bit more educational in terms of value, prices etc. But I guess I'll just have to settle for what you're willing to share. I will therefore join the chorus & regurgitate "looks great" & "nice paint".

Btw, shopping around & talking to people, as you suggested, is obviously the way to go. I just hope that the next time I see a nice paint job that the owner might be a bit more helpful & not just say that his paint cost between $3k & $10k.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Looks good Ed! I've followed your upgrades over the years here and on other forums. Did they remove any panels before they shot it or did they just mask it off?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dtana
I was just hoping for something a bit more educational in terms of value, prices etc.
I'll try to explain...

I used to paint at a very high quality, reputable shop here in California. Paint jobs vary Greatly in price due to products used, detail of the prep work, shop rates, and experience of the paint/body shop workers...

Generally but, Not necessarily the higher the cost the better quality of the products used and more time in the prep.

This is where the line is blurred...many low as well as high quality shops, cut many corners which results in a cheaper, faster, lower quality repaint.

So, you can see why someone might not want to post the cost of his repaint since others might think it wasn't done correctly or he got ripped off...

Last edited by GKK; 05-26-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Paint

Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
Looks good Ed! I've followed your upgrades over the years here and on other forums. Did they remove any panels before they shot it or did they just mask it off?
Thanks, most was removed. The paint really wasn't all that bad. When I had the ground effects put on they did an amazing job of matching it.. and believe me I got robbed on that job. but it did look good. Over the past few years the fade on the roof and the mismatch of color with the hood really bothered me so I decided to get it all done in one shot.

Originally Posted by GKK
I'll try to explain...

I used to paint at a very high quality, reputable shop here in California. Paint jobs vary Greatly in price due to products used, detail of the prep work, shop rates, and experience of the paint/body shop workers...

Generally but, Not necessarily the higher the cost the better quality of the products used and more time in the prep.

This is where the line is blurred...many low as well as high quality shops, cut many corners which results in a cheaper, faster, lower quality repaint.

So, you can see why someone might not want to post the cost of his repaint since others might think it wasn't done correctly or he got ripped off...

Thank you and well said...
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Looks great. Nice to see other vettes from NY.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 PM
dtana
Racer

Originally Posted by GKK
I'll try to explain...

Thank you. Ok, I can understand how someone might feel that way. I wasn't planning on taking a pot shot by saying he got ripped off or whatever. Furthermore I would have thought that as a long time owner the OP would be secure enough in his decision making to disregard anyone who would make those sort of comments, but that's perhaps just the way I look at things. Again, thanks for the explanation & I did learn something.

Never buy an older Corvette that needs paint!

Last edited by dtana; 05-26-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Paint