Wheel offset / spacers question for '96 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 AM
sissond
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Wheel offset / spacers question for '96 coupe

Hello, I've had a lot of time to consider different replacement rims while waiting for the right time money wise. Now I have the money and I can't seem to make up my mind.

First off, I want to replace the sawblades because they all have chipping in the finish. And one of them looks like it was assaulted by a brillo pad in an experiment gone wrong by an previous owner. The other reason is that my base model '96 coupe has the bolt-on GM parts-bin grand sport fender flares. It was well done and looks factory. Unfortunately, it makes the rear wheels seem inadequate and the whole car seems to look a little off. But removing them would require a respray.

So, I definitely want a bigger rear wheel that extends out from the wheel well further than stock. I like the chrome ZR-1 wheels, but my wife's not a fan. She told me to do what ever I want (sincerely) but it is her car and I'd like to make her happy (although she always prefers her '76 L-82). We both like a handful of rims available as 17"/18" wheel combos. All the rims are around the same price.

Here's the rub, I have two brand-new tires to go on the front rims as long as they are 17x9.5". So the front rims must be that size. The rear ZR-1 style (17x11" 50mm offset) stick out an additional 23mm from stock (if the online wheel offset calc is working right) which sounds good. But the 18x10.5" rear wheel with 56mm offset would only stick out 11mm.

I know absolutely nothing about wheel spacers and have never done any research into them. Could I safely add an appropriate width wheel spacer to get the 18" rims out a little further or should I just stick with the ZR-1 rims?

FYI, the other pro to going with the 18" is the variety of tires available. I can only find 1 street tire in the 17x11 size that is under $200/tire. And who knows how much longer that model will be around.

Thanks for any advice. I just can't make up my mind here.

-Doug
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 AM
sissond
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sissond
FYI, the other pro to going with the 18" is the variety of tires available. I can only find 1 street tire in the 17x11 size that is under $200/tire. And who knows how much longer that model will be around.
Okay, well I should have looked before opening my mouth as tire rack has no tires for the 18" rims for less than $200. But the imprtant thing is the ZR-1 17x11 rims have 3 tires listed (one's on special for $140 each!) and the 18x10.5 have 15 tires listed. I'll pay the extra money to know I can get a replacement tire in 5 years.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 PM
sissond
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sissond
Okay, well I should have looked before opening my mouth as tire rack has no tires for the 18" rims for less than $200. But the imprtant thing is the ZR-1 17x11 rims have 3 tires listed (one's on special for $140 each!) and the 18x10.5 have 15 tires listed. I'll pay the extra money to know I can get a replacement tire in 5 years.
-bump
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Contact DocZ - Keith at ist Rate Corvette Parts, a site sponser here for wheel and tire suggestions and packages. Numerous users have purchased what they needed from him, and they have lowest prices and highest quality guaranty.

You could look into going with C5 style wheels, where fronts are 17 and rears 18 and see if you can find the fit you are looking for? Otherwise the 17 X 11 rear would be most logical choice, especially with flares already installed.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 PM
sissond
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rkj4243
Contact DocZ - Keith at ist Rate Corvette Parts, a site sponser here for wheel and tire suggestions and packages. Numerous users have purchased what they needed from him, and they have lowest prices and highest quality guaranty.

You could look into going with C5 style wheels, where fronts are 17 and rears 18 and see if you can find the fit you are looking for? Otherwise the 17 X 11 rear would be most logical choice, especially with flares already installed.
Yes, all the wheels I've been looking at are from DocZ in general. And the non-ZR-1 style wheels I'm considering are C5 17"/18" packages.

I'm more unsure about the use of wheel spacers to get those 18" rear wheels out a little further. Is that safe and reliable? Any brands better than others?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel offset / spacers question for '96 coupe

Quick Reply: Wheel offset / spacers question for '96 coupe