C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:39 PM
firsttimechevy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged

I was thinking on investing in a supercharger for my 91 l98 vette has 125k miles does not smoke or burn oil any suggestions
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Rebuild your motor before you supercharge it. Otherwise you may have to rebuild it after you supercharge it and you may end up with a basket of parts. You can lower the compression of your motor to take advantage of the supercharger boost.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Rebuild your motor before you supercharge it. Otherwise you may have to rebuild it after you supercharge it and you may end up with a basket of parts. You can lower the compression of your motor to take advantage of the supercharger boost.
I agree: With that mileage, I wouldn't put juice to it or supercharge it, cause it might not smoke, but parts are wearing, and you are looking for trouble.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
As 383vett said do not use a high mile engine.
A blower will running 6 to 8 psi boost with an intercoler will work with a standard good condition engine ecm and injectors with a fuel management unit, that restricts the fuel return to tank to increase fuel pressure per psi boost to force more fuel thru the injectors. That will work for low boost do not try putting something together get a proven kit, more boost needs bigger injectors lower compression forged pistons etc. You can go without an intercooler and have methanol/water injection but you will need to retard the ignition more than intercooled.

An older engine will suffer from blowby, that will force oil out the dipstick tube and gaskets. You need to have a check valve on your pcv valve and use a breather with hose to a oil catch can.
8 psi boost can knock a couple of seconds from a quarter mile time,
IF SET UP CORRECTLY.

Call blowerworks they have a lot of experience and can best advise what will work best and be reliable.

Your transmission will need to be built to handle the extra torque, the half shafts are a weak point i have had steel ones made.
A dewitts radiator is a good idea for the extra heatload.

Do not forget you can rebuild the engine you have, stroke it to 383 and get some good heads and make it quite fast for the same price as going to a blower.

Blowers are best suited for engines built for them to accept at least 10-20 psi boost to make it worthwhile for the cost of a blower setup.

http://www.blowerworks.net/corvette_1.html

http://www.blowerworks.net/L98_Corvette.html
Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Chiming in...

Make your mistakes (ex. Tuning, fuel, etc.) on this motor and learn. Who knows maybe it will last

Id def supercharge it as is. Dont do a wimpy 6 to 8psi either.

Im making 510 rwhp+ on my 93 supercharged stock bottom end. 13 psi boost at 6000 rpm via a p600b (p1-sc)

Greg@blowerworks helped me set it up

That said. I dont rev past 6000 - i dont need to. Im making 500 + rwhp above 5200 rpm

use meth/water inj. Also i did lower compression to 9.7:1 via afr 61cc chamber 195 comp eliminator heads.

Finally...dont you dare buy any of the crappy, single belt slipping procharger or vortech kits. you get belt slip at the crank due to poor wrap. Though im not sure if its as big an issue on the l98 cars as it is the lt1 cars. Their head units are good, the supporting hardware is not

You need to talk to greg@blowerworks.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged

Quick Reply: Supercharged