Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

re issued flordia vin (other vin loctations)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 AM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default re issued flordia vin (other vin loctations)

A couple weeks ago I bought an 1988 corvette off ebay alone with a 1975 project car both out of Florida. The seller never mentioned the 88 having an re issued vin and the vin that was originally on the dash has been removed and I cant find any other vin besides the re issued one that is on the driver side door post. Where else are there other vins located it seems really sketchy right now even though the title came back clean and have the build sheet from the factory that matches. I received both cars last Friday and have been just sitting in the garage and haven't given them a thought until the titles came in on Monday and once I went to confirm vins
The seller claims the dash was removed and replaced with a new one so they issued a new vin but why wouldn't they put one back in the dash as issued. Before I contact the state police I want to check for another vin on the car so I don't waste there time if its not stolen, to me this is a major red flag..
Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 AM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If the factory build sheet VIN matches the issued VIN it sounds like Florida just issued the VIN due to the missing VIN plate (I have seen them rust and become illegible) ?

You could always check the VIN on the motor (if the motor was represented as original) to confirm.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by brick1234
A couple weeks ago I bought an 1988 corvette off ebay alone with a 1975 project car both out of Florida. The seller never mentioned the 88 having an re issued vin and the vin that was originally on the dash has been removed and I cant find any other vin besides the re issued one that is on the driver side door post. Where else are there other vins located it seems really sketchy right now even though the title came back clean and have the build sheet from the factory that matches. I received both cars last Friday and have been just sitting in the garage and haven't given them a thought until the titles came in on Monday and once I went to confirm vins
The seller claims the dash was removed and replaced with a new one so they issued a new vin but why wouldn't they put one back in the dash as issued. Before I contact the state police I want to check for another vin on the car so I don't waste there time if its not stolen, to me this is a major red flag..
If it was reconstructed and the original VIN tag removed it's NOT to be replaced. It sounds like it was probably reconstructed properly in the state of Florida. I'd contact the Florida authorities to confirm everything. I believe the vehicle needs to be presented to the Florida State Police with reconstruction notes and documentation before the VIN plate that you have is issued. I believe there are partial VIN derivatives on the left front frame rail below the battery area. '88 I'm not sure of others. What is the VIN on the plate that was issued to the car by FHP?

Do you believe the power train to be original?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

As mentioned, the last 10 digits of the VIN for the '88 are stamped on the forward (vertical) part of the frame rail just below the battery. Remove the driver's side rear wheel well to see it.

I had heard that the entire VIN is stamped on the right rear of the frame just in front of the right rear tire. You will have to remove the rear lining and do lots of cleaning in there.

Most state police organizations should have access to a database that shows VIN locations on all cars that have the 17-digit VIN.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 06-18-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I will check it out when I get home later, I believe the power train is original but converted to a carb set up and not a 355 as seller claimed to be
Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, a seller who lies about his car on EBAY. What are the odds? (about 100% to some degree). It is fairly common to have reissued states vin #'s, I would be concerned though.

Get notified of new replies

To re issued flordia vin (other vin loctations)

Quick Reply: re issued flordia vin (other vin loctations)