C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 Roof Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Default 96 Roof Weatherstripping

Been slowly replacing the weatherstripping on the 96, roof is next, but because the old stuff leaked, I've got some corrosion on the roof I need to fix. Unfortunately I can't do that right now as I don't have a garage.

So in the meantime can I put the new weatherstrips on the roof panel without gluing?

I want to do the latter so that at a later date I can repair the roofs corrosion. It looks like my old weatherstripping (original) was glued, although I'm basing this on just a quickly looking how the old weatherstripping is attached.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,797 Likes on 666 Posts

Are you talking about the piece that's near the rear hatch, that goes over to the rear of each side window? (B pillar) I just replaced mine and didn't glue it in except for the very ends on the bottom. After cleaning out the channel and putting the new WS in it seemed pretty darned tight. I was told in a thread that I didn't need to put the adhesive on but I figured just the very ends would be OK. I was lucky in that I had no rust issues so when you clean yours I'd use either a Rustoleum type of paint or maybe some of that POR-15 rust inhibiting product. I'm sure someone can chime in if those aren't good suggestions

astepup said that
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by astepup
Are you talking about the piece that's near the rear hatch, that goes over to the rear of each side window? (B pillar) I just replaced mine and didn't glue it in except for the very ends on the bottom. After cleaning out the channel and putting the new WS in it seemed pretty darned tight. I was told in a thread that I didn't need to put the adhesive on but I figured just the very ends would be OK. I was lucky in that I had no rust issues so when you clean yours I'd use either a Rustoleum type of paint or maybe some of that POR-15 rust inhibiting product. I'm sure someone can chime in if those aren't good suggestions

astepup said that
The ones right above the windows...got caught in a rain storm last night and didn't need to take a shower when I got home...the old ones are leaking bad now. I've already done the A-pillar and doors, just have the b-pillar, hatch, and roof left.

Basically one to temporarily put in the new ones until I have more time to get to the roof to repaint. Sounds like I can get away short term without gluing !

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Roof Weatherstripping

Quick Reply: 96 Roof Weatherstripping