C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question about ground effect kits on Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question about ground effect kits on Corvettes

New to Corvettes question. Are ground effects and a rear spoiler, scooped hood, and Testarosa side panels a good or bad thing on Corvettes?Are they accepted in the Corvette community?Do they hurt or help on resale value? Is it just a individual preference?
I'm looking at a vette with ground effects and was thinking long term...
Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by tony58; 07-05-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: trying to load picture
Old 07-05-2014, 03:16 PM
vert vette virgin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read it's just cosmetic and one's personal preference..I happen to like ground effects and if done tastefully like that it distinguishes my vette from many others. I'm sure they're are many on this forum that think otherwise. To each his own.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

If you like it, you're wasting a lot of angst worrying about what others think!!

The only time what others think matters is when you go to sell it.

You might be narrowing the market to only people that like certain (cosmetic) mods. And, then again, there is a local guy that has his pre-91 C4 so frigging tricked out with (you name it) and a custom paint scheme, it is not easy for most lay people to recognize it as a Corvette. He'd love ground effects, etc, etc. I know because that car of his is so "tricked out" it would draw the jealousy of a Filipino Jeepny owner!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep...w=1600&bih=763

If you're going to mod it with ground effects and the like, you might want to keep the original pieces that come off so you can provide them to the next buyer, just in case he's not wild about your tastes.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-05-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

A non-factory body kit doesn't add to resale value of any car, ever (unless it's a conversion of some sort like a RUF).

If you like it, then do it. I'm not aware of any that actually add any real aero benefits, but there's definitely some race cars that have custom made or customized aero kits that actually work.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The only time what others think matters is when you go to sell it.
You do what makes you happy but others may not share your taste.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:14 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

It's individual preference, but imo they would make the car harder to sell.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
A non-factory body kit doesn't add to resale value of any car, ever (unless it's a conversion of some sort like a RUF).

If you like it, then do it. I'm not aware of any that actually add any real aero benefits, but there's definitely some race cars that have custom made or customized aero kits that actually work.

The only body kit i like on a C4 is the Callaway.

Even the Sledgehammer 254mph car did not need wings

Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 PM
tony58
Racer

Is this too gaudy or over done...???
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM
12 inches
Instructor

Originally Posted by tony58
Is this too gaudy or over done...???
I would ditch the testerossa side deals. There are nicer ground effect kits. The purists will say don't do it but the c4 vettes that catch my attension are the ones with ground effects. I am all over them at car shows checking the fitment and how they are fastened on. Some look really cool. I find the ones on eBay with the extras go for more.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Winnin'
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is mine. Most Love it, some still hate it. I personaly love it. I do how ever think the one above is over kill. And like stated above, Fitment is everything.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Winnin'
Here is mine. Most Love it, some still hate it. I personaly love it. I do how ever think the one above is over kill. And like stated above, Fitment is everything.

That's sharp looking. I like that.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Jumping right in as i enjoy these threads.

I´m totally with the people in here, it´s each to his own. Just like in the US, we have the same thing here in Sweden. Some people loves the ground effects, some people hates them. Personally, i love the Greenwood kits because they set your car apart from the others. That´s why i, during my heavy resto of the car, bought a brand new Greenwood Motorsports Kit and imported it to Sweden. Expensive as hell, YES, and many people probably just shaking their heads and would never invest so much Money to "destroy the car". But hey, my car and i build it the way I want it. And it´s all about how it´s done. There are some really ugly ground effects (my opinion) as well for the C4´s that litterally looks like crap.

Cool95Vette, that car is sick, i don´t know about the C5 tails though, but i totally respect the amount of Labour put into that car (and therefore likes it alot)!!

Tony 58, heres some pics of my rear during the progress. (haven´t uploaded the front pics yet)

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

When I bought my 89 Vette 7 years ago, I had every intention of removing the ground effects and going back to stock..Then it started to grow on me and I started to think it was ok to have a C4 that didn't look like everyone elses...I get alot of positive comments at cruise-ins and car shows saying how they like the way it looks...It's up to you what you do with your own car, and no one should make remarks unless you ask them.....

Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

There are a few exceptions, like Winnin above, but in general, just say no.

My opinion. I like OEM. Your car. Do whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Ground Effects

If it's something you like, then that's all that matters.
Personally I think Vettes look incredible as they came off the line but that's my personal opinion.
One thing to consider is where you'll be driving and clearance. They have 'alot' of speed bumps and potholes around here and the probability of catching something with a rigid airdam is a very good possibility whether you're careful or not. Be a shame to put alot of time and money into something and see it damaged or ripped off on a speed bump or pothole. I see cars all the time where the front airdams are damaged and suspect that's the cause.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
tony58
Racer

Originally Posted by Winnin'

Nice car---I like it---
Tony
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM
tony58
Racer

Originally Posted by WW7
When I bought my 89 Vette 7 years ago, I had every intention of removing the ground effects and going back to stock..Then it started to grow on me and I started to think it was ok to have a C4 that didn't look like everyone elses...I get alot of positive comments at cruise-ins and car shows saying how they like the way it looks...It's up to you what you do with your own car, and no one should make remarks unless you ask them.....

Very tastefully done.Not over done like the one I posted.
Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Question about ground effect kits on Corvettes

Quick Reply: Question about ground effect kits on Corvettes