1991 C4 corvette not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Default 1991 C4 corvette not start

My brother in law's 1991 Corvette is acting strange. When the key is turned the car will not start. It acts like it really wants to, it will stutter and almost fire, but won't.
What we have done so far:
1.Replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and fuel filter (they needed replaced)
2.Checked for spark by pulling a spark plug wire, putting in another spark plug and while turning the motor over, grounding it, and we have spark.
3.While the car turning over, we sprayed starting fluid down the intake and it started...

So any other ideas why the engine wont start?
I know there is fuel pressure because when the fuel lines were disconnected at the filter and pump, pressure was released.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I would actually put a gauge on the Schrader valve and measure the pressure. It should be up around 39-43 PSI. You could have pressure in the lines but not enough for the injectors to fire. Fuel filters are directional and have a arrow painted on them to indicate flow direction. Are you sure your filter is going the correct direction?

Next I would check the injector fuses to see if they are good.

Next would be to test to see if you are getting electricity to the injectors.

This really sounds like a fuel issue since the car will fire by using starting fluid.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
I would actually put a gauge on the Schrader valve and measure the pressure. It should be up around 39-43 PSI. You could have pressure in the lines but not enough for the injectors to fire. Fuel filters are directional and have a arrow painted on them to indicate flow direction. Are you sure your filter is going the correct direction?
Filter is in the right direction

Next I would check the injector fuses to see if they are good.
Fuses are good
Next would be to test to see if you are getting electricity to the injectors.

This really sounds like a fuel issue since the car will fire by using starting fluid.

Last edited by chstitans42; 07-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Omhed out the injectors

1= 16.9
2 =16.9
3 =16.9
4 =16.9
5 =10.0
6 =9.5
7 =00.8
8 =4.0

Looks like we have four dead injectors. Would it be wise to replace all the injectors at once? What would you recommend?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Omhed out the injectors

1= 16.9
2 =16.9
3 =16.9
4 =16.9
5 =10.0
6 =9.5
7 =00.8
8 =4.0

Looks like we have four dead injectors. Would it be wise to replace all the injectors at once? What would you recommend?
I recommend giving Jon @ FIC a call. he can set you up with a set of boschIII's and gaskets for about 2 bills. ...and yes, replace all 8! while you're at it, might as well rebuild the fuel rails, and install a new FPR diaphragm.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe C
I recommend giving Jon @ FIC a call. he can set you up with a set of boschIII's and gaskets for about 2 bills. ...and yes, replace all 8! while you're at it, might as well rebuild the fuel rails, and install a new FPR diaphragm.
Any step by step on rebuilding the fuel rails and FPR diaphragm?
Anyone have Jon's number?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Any step by step on rebuilding the fuel rails and FPR diaphragm?
Anyone have Jon's number?
http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...php?groupid=72

as far as the fuel rails, and FPR, it's pretty cut and dry. reference the FSM - I'm not sure how much detail the FSM gets into, but I just did mine, and it was almost a no brainer. you can purchase new o-rings and diaphragm, at your local auto parts house, FIC, fleabay, etc. for the FPR, you'll need a T-10 (security) torx bit. lowe's has a single, 1/4" drive bit for about $4. I purchased a bit set at home depot for 6-bucks or so. not sure about the rails, but I'm thinking a T-30. once off the engine, servicing the rails and FPR is one of the easier jobs on the C4/L98.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe C
http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...php?groupid=72

as far as the fuel rails, and FPR, it's pretty cut and dry. reference the FSM - I'm not sure how much detail the FSM gets into, but I just did mine, and it was almost a no brainer. you can purchase new o-rings and diaphragm, at your local auto parts house, FIC, fleabay, etc. for the FPR, you'll need a T-10 (security) torx bit. lowe's has a single, 1/4" drive bit for about $4. I purchased a bit set at home depot for 6-bucks or so. not sure about the rails, but I'm thinking a T-30. once off the engine, servicing the rails and FPR is one of the easier jobs on the C4/L98.
Thanks for the tips. Injectors are in the mail and I will be doing this job in the next few days

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 C4 corvette not start

Quick Reply: 1991 C4 corvette not start