C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Transmission Shops near San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:33 AM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Shops near San Francisco

My 3rd gear went out last night just driving along and it started slipping bad and finally lost it completely. I was able to drive home in low and avoid a tow.
Looked around on the forum and looks like this is a fairly common problem does anyone have any recommendations for a shop that can rebuild my transmission after I get it out in the San Francisco area? I live in the east bay but would be willing to take it just about anywhere.

Also input on what upgrades might be needed would be appreciated for a 1995 auto transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Gimp
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

I have had several transmission rebuilt by Schuck's in Dublin. They do excellent work. Not sure if the do bench work or not. Call Jeff and ask at 925-828-6760.

I think that 383vett has used Schuck's also. Search function is having issues now, so I can't confirm. Search is working now. 383vett has used them. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...shift-kit.html

You can use my name as a reference should you wish.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 07-12-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, I will give them a call on Monday. I don't want to tow the car to Dublin from here that would be a long way so I hope they do bench work.

Gimpsy
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Just to let you guys know I used Schucks in Dublin awesome guys highly recommended. It took them 2 days to do the rebuild when I picked it up they went over how to reinstall, how much fluid and everything they did to it. They asked that I bring the car to them as soon as it was running again for a test drive and check out. It is always good to work with a shop that cares for there customers. I dealt with Jeff all in all a very pleasant experience. The transmission looks great, runs great and shifts nice and tight now.

Art
Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Jeff is a good guy. Schuck actually works in the back and may have rebuilt your trans. Jeff is a 1/4 mile racer and knows what works in a performance car and what does not.

Glad this has worked for you.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

No idea about the shop these folks post about..i don't live in that area. However, many,many shops do NOT rebuild the trannys anymore, they swap them out to a jobber. Nothing wrong with that. Trouble is, you have a corvette and you might want toi keep it number matching so tell the shop you want THAT tranny rebuilt.They will usually do it at the same rate as otherwise. Your numbers are easily found on that tranny. I am NOT saying that shop does that..just something for folks in general to be aware of. Its not dishonest or anything in that vein.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
gimpsy
Instructor

Ghost,

That was a concern and one of my first questions asked, it's all in house.

Ditto what John said Jeff is a racer and funny thing is he used to live up here near me and worked at another shop, I thought he looked familiar from when I was a kid going to Sears point and bracket racing.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Schucks repaired my transmission earlier this month after I twisted a hardened input shaft on my Rossler 4l60e. They replaced it with a billet unit and custom drum and clutch pack from Rossler. Jeff Gillette is the current Top Sportsman Division 7 Champion with his 6 second Pontiac. Great guy, runs the office and is honest. Ed Shuck runs the back, has years of experience and knows his stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Shops near San Francisco

Quick Reply: Transmission Shops near San Francisco