C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 Lt1 Pops at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM
CorvetteDan88
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Lt1 Pops at idle?

Hey Guys, I'm having a problem, I have a 1996 corvette lt1 automatic and when at a stop, in drive sitting still with my foot on the brake, it will randomly "pop" I can feel through my foot brake and hear an actual sort of noise that sounds like ""gunk" ...idle.... "Gunk".... Continues to idle.. And sometimes at a stop it will do it and other times it does not. The motor does not surge and the Rpm's stay smooth. While cruising and accelerating it drives perfectly fine and has no issues. Also, the check guages light is on, but none of the actual check engine or any of the lights on the gauge panel are on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I am clueless as what this could be.

Last edited by CorvetteDan88; 07-15-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
CorvetteDan88
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ttt!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

This is my general understanding:

The "check gauges" light indicates one of the gauges is reading outside its normal range (including low fuel).

The "check engine" light (CEL) indicates a malfunction has been detected in one of the engine's systems. Sometimes the computer will adjust one of the various settings (ignition timing, fuel injector pulse, etc) in an attempt to fix the problem. If the computer is successful in fixing the problem, the CEL might turn off, depending on the nature of the problem. Whether CEL goes out or not, an error code will be stored in the computer and can be retrieved to help diagnosis.

Your description of the popping ("gunk" lol) makes me think fouled plug or exhaust leak. A fouled plug would cause a misfire followed a CEL. Not sure if an exhaust leak could trigger any other lights.

Hope this helps you... good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Lt1 Pops at idle?

Quick Reply: 1996 Lt1 Pops at idle?