C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Maaco paint shops

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Maaco paint shops

Has anyone used maaco paint shops to paint their Corvettes. Results?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You get what you pay for. Paint job for a beater daily driver? That would be fine. Corvette paint job that looks as good as factory? Go to a reputable paint shop.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want a quality paint job, you're likely going to pay more than the car is worth for it. Mine was painted by Maaco for 1100 by the previous owner with a minor amount of flaws, most of which will come out when I wet sand and buff it when I get the chance. My buddy paid 5,000 to get his Commemorative edition C4 painted. His paint is the same quality as mine. He also has another C4, which he had painted by Maaco for 700, which looks pretty good except for a few flaws. My father helped a friend restore a 67 Coronet, also painted by Maaco for 700. That one surprisingly had 0 flaws.

The key to a good Maaco paint job is to do the prepping yourself. I think they are only allowed to use 1 1/2 scuff pads on the whole car. One thing you have to remember about Maaco, they paint all day every day. So they have a good amount of experience when it comes to painting.
I'd also recommend taping up the car yourself too.

You can also purchase a higher quality preparation from Maaco if you choose to do so, and different painting methods.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've often considered this. I have painted a camaro before but it makes a mess. The new paints aren't good for you or the environment (unless waterbased maybe). My point is that I don't have a paint booth. Can you paint in a garage or shop, yep, done it. I would love to do the body work then trailer it to Maaco and have them shoot it. I'll even buy the darn paint. I was pricing paint guns lately and you can have Maaco shoot it for the price of a good Sata gun.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
If you want a quality paint job, you're likely going to pay more than the car is worth for it. Mine was painted by Maaco for 1100 by the previous owner with a minor amount of flaws, most of which will come out when I wet sand and buff it when I get the chance. My buddy paid 5,000 to get his Commemorative edition C4 painted. His paint is the same quality as mine. He also has another C4, which he had painted by Maaco for 700, which looks pretty good except for a few flaws. My father helped a friend restore a 67 Coronet, also painted by Maaco for 700. That one surprisingly had 0 flaws.

The key to a good Maaco paint job is to do the prepping yourself. I think they are only allowed to use 1 1/2 scuff pads on the whole car. One thing you have to remember about Maaco, they paint all day every day. So they have a good amount of experience when it comes to painting.
I'd also recommend taping up the car yourself too.

You can also purchase a higher quality preparation from Maaco if you choose to do so, and different painting methods.
Thanks for the info. I always appreciate real world experience as opposed to those who will just post that "Maaco sucks", "you have to spend at least 5k for a decent paint job", etc with nothing to back it up. So with proper prep you may be able to get a good paint job done by Maaco. Good to know for future reference.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

MAACO is pretty good for the money. It depends upon the painter they have (or shows up for work:*****) Look at the cars they've just shot. Make sure you get the full base coat/clearcoat, and not the "integral clear", which is just single stage with hardner/gloss additive. Prepping yourself is a good idea, concentrate on the crevices and areas that are hard to get to (they tend to get skipped over by the $8/hr preppers). As far as paint guns, Harbor Freight has some pretty good cheap guns ($15-$40) that work just fine unless you are a pro painter...most amateurs would never know the difference. Yeah, they are throw-aways, but you'll spend that much in masking tape and paper.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not for a corvette, no way.

Cheap paint job for a DD, yeah maybe again if I had to. I used them on a 4Runner and the prep work was nonexistent, so it looked cheap and started to peel after about a year.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM
cmashark
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

It all depends. I had the local Maaco paint my 07 coupe and they did an awesome job for ~$1000. Now I have to say that I have known the owner for years, used to work with him in the Navy, and he has a Viper that he SCCA races locally. I would let his shop paint any of my vehicles, except my CVO Road King. That's only because of the fusion grind / marbilized scheme would difficult to duplicate.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
Not for a corvette, no way.

Cheap paint job for a DD, yeah maybe again if I had to. I used them on a 4Runner and the prep work was nonexistent, so it looked cheap and started to peel after about a year.

MACOO sux.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

This is what a Maaco paint job looks like on a C4 after a year of not being garaged. No wax on here either.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Prep is like 90% of a good paint job so if you do that part yourself and do a good job at it I could see where a Maaco paint job could turn out pretty good.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It's all in the preparation. You might luck out and get a good paint job at the fraction of the cost.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, i might prep the car and take it to Maaco then, i need a paintjob bad, but didn't want to spend more than $2k on it for my daily driver/cruise-in vette.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
PSU69
Advanced

What do you have to do to prep your car yourself?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
DBo
Instructor

Maaco shops vary from city to city. I have had several cars painted at the local Maaco and have recommended them to others. Very good quality for the money. Don't know how they would do on a Corvette. For what many of our cars are worth, it might not be a bad option if you know that the shop is good.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

ask to take a peep into the shop and see the cars they just painted.

I've had them paint some rear spoilers and wheels in the past. It was an ok job, couldn't beat the price.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

I've had Maaco do 4 or 5 cars over the years, You do the prep and get the best paint job they offer ( not the one stage enamel). Here is my DD after 3 years of no garage also. Never been waxed. Couple of flaws, but the reality is, 2 months after it was painted, some lady backed out of a parking space and hit the bumper. Said she didn't see the car. Maybe I needed a brighter color! I wasn't really upset, but I sure would have been if I had spent $5k on paint. All depends on what you are going to do with the car, trailer queen to shows, then spend the money, drive the hell out of it, do the prep and let Maaco do the paint. Just mask off anything that can't be removed!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Maaco paint shops

Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kanvasman and other maaco patrons, do you mind telling us what it cost you? or can you PM me that info. Btw, that 300z does look great!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

I got a question for you guys. Should I put in my new interior first or get it painted with it out of the car? I'm going to have it painted the exact OEM color on a Admiiral Blue 1994 LT1

I would like at the minimum take off the following in addition:

1. The rear bumper.
2. Left and right mirror.
3. Emblems.
4. Headlights.
5. Center molding on the doors. Not sure what else is viable on the rest of car.

Or what would you guys skip?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
I got a question for you guys. Should I put in my new interior first or get it painted with it out of the car? I'm going to have it painted the exact OEM color on a Admiiral Blue 1994 LT1

I would like at the minimum take off the following in addition:

1. The rear bumper.
2. Left and right mirror.
3. Emblems.
4. Headlights.
5. Center molding on the doors. Not sure what else is viable on the rest of car.

Or what would you guys skip?
Since you are going back to original color, I would leave the bumper (minus tail lamps), mirrors, headlamps and possibly the molding on the car. They'll want extra (a lot) and you can have trouble reinstalling. If you are putting on new window weather strips take the old ones off (the ones you rest your arms on). As soon as you get the car home go over it with a rag and lacquer thinner (very carefully) to remove overspray before it really sets up, usually a week.

Quick Reply: Maaco paint shops