C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pulling the Tranny in a 95 coupe

Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pulling the Tranny in a 95 coupe

first the important stuff:

1995 Coupe with an automatic transmission I think the 4L60E transmission.

I lost 3/4 gear and need to pull it to get it down to the shop. I have a couple of questions that might save me some time.

1. How high do I need to get the car up? I had it up pretty high when I changed out the seals in the rear housing but probably not high enough to pull the tranny. I really don't want to get it half out and need to jack the car up more (Doh)

2. The shop I am taking it to was recommended by a member here and they seem to be familiar with the issues with the tranny. They are going to put a larger band in a I believe, and a shift kit. I have no idea about the interior of a transmission so just a little lost here, any other questions or things I might want to ask or do about the rebuild?

3. It seems pretty straight forward how to flush the cooler with the flush kits is that all there is to that?

4. I would like to put a drain plug in the pan is there any aftermarket pans that you guys have tried or seen?

Thanks in advance for the advise anything else you would like to throw in feel free.

Art
Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled the trans in my 88 and really don't remember exactly how high I had the car. Pretty sure the jack stands only had a notch or two left. It was still not high enough to get the trans and jack out from under the car. What I did was pull the front tire and put the trans directly on the floor and slid it out. When I put it back in I had a couple of friends lift the trans (they were pretty large folks) and then put the jack back under it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

know anybody with a lift?? check around, maybe in the nearest Corvette Club. Betcha can find one to help make your job easier
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

I have the 6 ton ones from harbor freight they go up to 24" from the floor were you up that high? I am sure it would take several lifts to get her up that high...no pun intended.

Art
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gimpsy
I have the 6 ton ones from harbor freight they go up to 24" from the floor were you up that high? I am sure it would take several lifts to get her up that high...no pun intended.

Art
I have pretty much the same jack. The problem was the jack stands weren't high enough. You can look around for a set that are higher.
Also, see if someone on here has a trans out of the car so they can measure the height to the top of the bell housing. And don't forget to add the height of the jack.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by gimpsy
first the important stuff:

1995 Coupe with an automatic transmission I think the 4L60E transmission.

I lost 3/4 gear and need to pull it to get it down to the shop. I have a couple of questions that might save me some time.

1. How high do I need to get the car up? I had it up pretty high when I changed out the seals in the rear housing but probably not high enough to pull the tranny. I really don't want to get it half out and need to jack the car up more (Doh)

2. The shop I am taking it to was recommended by a member here and they seem to be familiar with the issues with the tranny. They are going to put a larger band in a I believe, and a shift kit. I have no idea about the interior of a transmission so just a little lost here, any other questions or things I might want to ask or do about the rebuild?

3. It seems pretty straight forward how to flush the cooler with the flush kits is that all there is to that?

4. I would like to put a drain plug in the pan is there any aftermarket pans that you guys have tried or seen?

Thanks in advance for the advise anything else you would like to throw in feel free.

Art
If you still have 1st & 2nd, why not drive it to the tranny shop and let them play with it first?

1. Maybe the 3/4 shifts are an electrical problem.
2. If the tranny has to come out... let the pros do it!

In 1976 I ran an AMCO Transmission shop. Lots of repairs were made with the trans still in the car... way before the 700r's and 4L60e's.

Just a thought.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

The shop that I am thinking about taking it to is over 50 miles away, and the car is slipping in drive when it shifts into 3rd gear. I read around on the forum and the net and what happened to the transmission when I was driving it is perfectly described by others that have lost 3 and 4th gear. I guess it is possible that it is something else, the guy I talked to said he had a way to test it when I got it to him. I don't mind doing the work I actually enjoy the time in the garage under the car. I have changed out 3 or 4 other transmissions in my other cars but they are all 4x4s and much easier to get at.

Art

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling the Tranny in a 95 coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling the Tranny in a 95 coupe