Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
baileydog1963

Default A/c

I have a 89 convertible 6 speed . Just got it last month. The A/C just isn't cold enough I think, but I do live in the central valley of Ca.
Any suggestions
baileydog1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
gerardvg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileydog1963 View Post
I have a 89 convertible 6 speed . Just got it last month. The A/C just isn't cold enough I think, but I do live in the central valley of Ca.
Any suggestions
Hi
First thing to do is check the gas charge, there will be a sight glass and if it still has R12 just rev the engine to around 1,500rpm with a/c on max. Look and see if the sight glass clears of bubbles, if it does you have the correct gas charge. If you only see bubbles it will need to be leak tested and recharged, If you have R134A they have a blue and red adapter port covers. That needs to charged by weight 80% of an R12 charge, (see what they look like below they screw on to the old R12 ports and can be angle or straight).

The air should be cold even with R134A, while the early C4's do not have much airflow it will get nice and cold.
Check your heater valve shuts off, if you have hot water flowing through the heater continually it will affect the air temperature even though air is not going thru the heater core.

Some on this forum have found seals failed around the a/c evaporator allowing some air to bypass the evaporator coil.

The a/c is not as effective as modern cars with thermal expansion valves, this can be noticed by getting in a stinking hot vette that has been sitting in the sun. It will take time to get the a/c bringing the interior temp down, especially in stop start traffic.
The vette a/c works best when on the highway, you can quickly have goosebumps appear on your arms even with 100F-110F ambient temperatures.

Last edited by gerardvg; 07-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.
gerardvg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
baileydog1963

[QUOTE=gerardvg;1587433558]Hi
First thing to do is check the gas charge, there will be a sight glass and if it still has R12 just rev the engine to around 1,500rpm with a/c on max. Look and see if the sight glass clears of bubbles, if it does you have the correct gas charge. If you only see bubbles it will need to be leak tested and recharged, If you have R134A they have a blue and red adapter port covers. That needs to charged by weight 80% of an R12 charge, (see what they look like below they screw on to the old R12 ports and can be angle or straight).

The air should be cold even with R134A, while the early C4's do not have much airflow it will get nice and cold.
Check your heater valve shuts off, if you have hot water flowing through the heater continually it will affect the air temperature even though air is not going thru the heater core.

Some on this forum have found seals failed around the a/c evaporator allowing some air to bypass the evaporator coil.

The a/c is not as effective as modern cars with thermal expansion valves, this can be noticed by getting in a stinking hot vette that has been sitting in the sun. It will take time to get the a/c bringing the interior temp down, especially in stop start traffic.
The vette a/c works best when on the highway, you can quickly have goosebumps appear on your arms even with 100F-110F ambient temperatures.

Thanks i have r13a
baileydog1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
canuck buick
CF Senior Member

I have an 89 vert but a/c is tremoved just wondering how effective the ac is with the top down , is it worth re installing.
sorry 4 hi jacking
canuck buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Cliff Harris
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardvg View Post
there will be a sight glass
There is no sight glass on a C4. The only way to find out what's really happening with the AC is to hook up some gauges.

You CAN do the "hand-feel" test, though:

Click the image to open in full size.
Cliff Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page A/c