C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

possible Ground problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:58 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Default possible Ground problem

So I just got my 95 put back together after replacing the head gaskets and it won’t turn over (like a dead battery) but headlights, horn, etc work, but just won’t turn over. Anyway had the battery tested it is fine. My question is - is there a ground strap that goes to the heads or intake? I don’t remember removing any ground strap. If so anyone have a pic. Thanks as always Mike.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

About every 3rd or 4th time I turn the ignition on the the blower fan witll turn on high for a second or two then go off.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure about the blower motor coming on but when you reconnect the battery the Programmer re-calibrates the blend door position. At the end of the calibration the blower motor turns on.

When you insert the key and turn the ignition to On does the Security light go On then
Off?

If it stays On the key pellet wasn't read properly.
Could be worn key or bad key cylinder. The CCM will not enable the Starter Enable
Relay.

If the Security Light does go off, the CCM should ground the Starter Enable relay and
you should hear a faint click when you turn the key to Start. If you hear the click you need to trace the 12 volts from the relay which goes to the Neutral Safety switch or the Clutch switch for a manual trans. The 12 volts then goes to the Purple wire at the Starter to energize the solenoid.

If no click verify Fuse #10 Crank fuse in the passenger side end of dash fuse panel is good.

Short Pin 4 to Pin 12 on the Diagnostic connector located above the drivers right
knee. Turn the ignition On and verify no codes are set.
Module 1 is the CCM
Module 4 is the PCM.

I don't see any ground on the head or intake that could cause a no crank. The starter motor is grounded by the engine block. The engine block is grounded by the negative battery cable above the oil filter.

Most of the other grounds are at the driver side bellhousing lower bolt/stud.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-30-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the detailed information,anyway I do get the faint click which threw me off because in the past if the battery was low I would get more of a hard click at the starter. I tried it again this morning and realized the security light does not come on at all I will take a look at the fuses after work today.Thanks Mike
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPVette
Thanks for the detailed information,anyway I do get the faint click which threw me off because in the past if the battery was low I would get more of a hard click at the starter. I tried it again this morning and realized the security light does not come on at all I will take a look at the fuses after work today.Thanks Mike
When you did the engine work did you disconnect the battery?

Use a meter and measure the battery voltage. Should be 12.5 or higher.

When you open either door the Security light should blink.
Could be the bulb is burnt out and you never noticed it.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-31-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
When you did the engine work did you disconnect the battery?

Yea that's the first thing I did was disconnect the battery.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Thanks Hooked on Vettes for all your help after all that it turned out to be the battery even though I charged it all night and then the auto parts store tested it and said it was fine the security light is working when I open the passenger door I forgot the driver pin switch is broke.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you are back in operation. I just read your post and wanted to say your description sounds like a bad connection at the battery so you might want to take the two connectors and clean them and the battery part really well. I recently had a new neighbor move in next door. He had trailered his Porsche in from Texas and got ready to start it but no good even though he had a brand new battery that he had purchased just before he came. He then hooked up one of the battery boosters to it, and it still just clicked without turning the engine over. Never having worked on a Porsche before, I got my HF battery brush and took loose the battery cables, cleaned both sides, replace the cables and tightened. He turned the switch, and it immediately started so he could drive off the trailer. You may have checked this but wanted to provide a reminder to folks to look for simple fixes first.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cuengineer
You may have checked this but wanted to provide a reminder to folks to look for simple fixes first.
ALWAYS good advice. There is a saying in medical school that new interns learn that is appropriate here, "When you hear hoofsteps think horse, not zebra". Meaning your first thought should be the most obvious. The chance of it being a zebra when you hear the sound of hoofs is nil. Don't overlook the simplest answer....

Get notified of new replies

To possible Ground problem

Quick Reply: possible Ground problem