C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

corvettemods splash guards for 89 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM
crane
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corvettemods splash guards for 89 corvette

Has anyone have any experience with the splash guards p/n 5980 from corvettemods?

1. quality

2. ease of installation - they are supposed to be pre-drilled for ease of install.

3. any installation tips would be appreciated.

Looking to purchase some for my 89 conv. Just purchased 3 weeks ago. Having a mid life experience according to my daughter when she found out I bought this car.

thanks

crane
Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Though I didn't get mine from that vendor, I've a similar looking set on my 35th Anni since 2000 and holding up very well. When I dress the tires I use the same material on these with good results.

They keep most of the road crap off the rocker panels and rear quarter. Since I'd made many 100s of passes down the 1/4 mile I had to periodically scrape off the burn-out rubber and still they look good.

They do come pre-drilled and use existing OEM fasteners.

I used a Torx bit in a 1/4" drive socket for the rears; turning the front wheels to lock facilitates installation of the fronts.

Enjoy your new '89 Vette; gives us some details and maybe some pics.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:56 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Mud Flaps

They don't looks to be the same but I do have mud flaps on my 86, they came with it.

I don't do any off highway type driving but they did spread some rock on the streets here and the flaps do keep the rocks off the car. These bolt onto the edge of the fender well using existing holes and there is a small bracket that is screwed onto the fender on the back of the flap. These are 3 dimensional so there is a small void/pocket in them. I had to replace one of mine (damaged before I bought the car) so when I did I took some foam-in insulation and filled that, makes it much more solid. The replacement came from either Corvette Central or Eckler's, don't remember which but it was one or the other.
If the ones you're looking at are the same, this is my experience. If not, these are an alternative.

Last edited by hcbph; 08-07-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

My experience is they don't do much, especially on the front. They do keep the first few inches cleaner but the rest is still going to get pelted.

Also the ones pictured above scratch the paint where they rub on it. One of my cars had a line worn in from that exact style
Old 08-07-2014, 08:38 AM
crane
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Though I didn't get mine from that vendor, I've a similar looking set on my 35th Anni since 2000 and holding up very well. When I dress the tires I use the same material on these with good results.

They keep most of the road crap off the rocker panels and rear quarter. Since I'd made many 100s of passes down the 1/4 mile I had to periodically scrape off the burn-out rubber and still they look good.

They do come pre-drilled and use existing OEM fasteners.

I used a Torx bit in a 1/4" drive socket for the rears; turning the front wheels to lock facilitates installation of the fronts.

Enjoy your new '89 Vette; gives us some details and maybe some pics.
Thanks for the input. I'll have my daughter put on a picture the next time she comes home. Not computer savy enough yet to do it myself. I will also let you know how the product from corvettemod was after I receive and install them.

Get notified of new replies

To corvettemods splash guards for 89 corvette

Quick Reply: corvettemods splash guards for 89 corvette