C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Jay7199
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seeking advice

Hello - I will give you guys a quick brief of what I have going on, I have sports cars. 84 Corvette, 93 Corvette, 96 Trans am, 89 Formula. I Daily drive all of them except the 96 trans am that I have never driven. The 96 Trans am I got and it spun every bearing in the motor within the first week, I traded my first car a 98 z28 for it about 4 years ago. I got scammed, it sucks but life goes on.

Fast forward, My dreams for the 96 trans am had been a 100% road ready badass car that I could take anywhere with cold AC 400+ HP and sweet looks, Somewhere down the line I decided to rip the AC out of it because I had recently got my 84 corvette that I DD with AC, Over the years of storage its taken some scratches and compared to my new 93 corvette.. its a cash for clunker!

So here I am thinking I need to get out from under the weight of 4 muscle cars so I can focus more on my other hobbies and my work.

I have been thinking alot about pulling the drive train from the 96 trans am and putting it into my 84 corvette, the 4+3 transmission went out last month and I have been trying to decide how to fix it, Witch beings up the idea of putting the fresh drive train in it.

That being said If I go this path I need to be sure I dont get stuck in a major swap project, I would be installing a 96 LT1 T-56 into a 84 corvette that has a 4+3. I know the motor mounts are the same, I know I need a adapter for the T-56 to C-Beam, Slightly offset shifter.

But are the getting the bolts on top of the F-Body bell housing seem like they would be pretty tough compared to a ZF6 bolt pattern, The Drive shaft I don't believe needs to be cut - But the Rear end has to be addressed, I think I have to swap my D36 out for a D44 because the 3.07 gears arnt going to cut it with the new setup.

Is there any other issues I would run into doing this swap? Clutch slave/master? What about the Speedo? Can I get it done for less then 2k?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not spend money just to try to sell these cars. They do not sound like they have much value the way they are but I would keep the 93,which sounds like the best one. I would then just dump the rest for whatever they will bring as is and be done with it.
Don't bury yourself in more projects that likely with not return any more cash after you put money in them than just dumping them now.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:27 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

That would be a major swap. No....
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Jay7199
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is it a major swap? Putting a lsx into my 89 Firebird was a Major swap, Swapping a small block for a small block doesn't sound like to much trouble - im mostly worried about fitting the T56 in without to much of a headache!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Swap

I'm no expert here but from what I've read, I suspect you're going to be doing just about as much work on doing the swap-out you're thinking of as in doing a LS swap. ODB1 vs ODB2, seems as though most of the wiring and relays need to be changed out and likely all the gauges or have to adapt something to switch signal type.
You're also going to from CrossFire to TPI induction

May be physically easy but the electrical adaption will likely take a lot of time and effort from what I've ready.

If you do it, good luck but unless you plan to keep the 84 for a long time, I don't think it will be a cost effective project.

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking advice

Quick Reply: Seeking advice