C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 got some Respect

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM
rconkin
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C4 got some Respect

I've had my 89 for about a month and a half now and had read on here about C4s not getting any respect and being looked down on. I Just wanted to pass on my experience from this weekend. My wife and I rented a cabin in Tellico Plains this past weekend to drive the Cherohala Skyway, upon advice from another forum member, for our anniversary weekend get away. On interstate 81 on the way down Friday I had a C5 Vert pull up beside me and was looking over checking out my 89 as I was checking out his also. I waved and he waved back then went ahead and finished passing me. I was behind him for 20 or so miles until he exited and while he was going down the off ramp waved again and gave me a thumbs up which made me feel real good.

On Saturday we drove the Skyway and while stopped at one of the overlooks where there was already a Boxster parked a guy on a sport bike pulled in and stopped. He had taken his helmet off and as we were walking back I asked How his day was going as we walked by. He said he was having a good day just changing batteries in his bluetooth. After we had walked past him I heard him say "That's my dream car" so I turned around to make sure he was talking to me with the very nice Boxster sitting there also. He was talking to me and we talked about Vettes for a little while then went on our way.

I did meet 2 other C5s on the drive and one waved and one didn't so I guess it does go both ways. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience that was a part of a wonderful weekend with my wife celebrating our anniversary.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome... I love hearing stories such as this one! Lately it seems as though I rarely see a Vette, especially a C4 when I take mine out. Yet as soon as I get into the daily driver, you can bet I see bunches. I ALWAYS wave, and it is nice to get one back as well...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

if you want waves, buy an old english sports car; misery really loves company
Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done that run many times and Tellico Plains is fantastic so a great choice for a Vette expedition. '89 Corvettes are just special, unique and awesome. Only an uninformed idiot would turn their nose at one of the best sports cars made in it's own time.

Thanks for sharing. But where's the pics?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 PM
rconkin
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The last text I got from my wife while I was packing at home was to get the camera. Of course, I forgot it and she asked me about it after we were too far down the road. I did take a few with my phone.

Saturday morning if front of the cabin with the top off waiting to go.

Wife at Bald River Falls.

View from one of the overlook.

Wife driving some.

2" long Scorpion in our bathroom sink. The wife stepped on one the next night and got stung. She said it was like a bee sting at first but went away quicker. I didn't realize we had Scorpions in TN so I Googled it and sure enough we have 2 species, one native. Friends on FB commented that they have seen them in cabins in Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg.

Interesting mount of a Raccoon over the closet in the cabin.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Great photos - looks like you and your wife had a great trip.
I really like the '89s as they were the last of the early body style and atari dash. If I ever hit the lottery I'd like to get an '89, ZR1 and a late 'vert to go along with the '96. Oh well, better buy some tickets.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I watch repeats of the Mecum Auctions on Velocity. There are always half a dozen good looking, base C4's on day one. They usually go for well under $10,000.00. On day two, the ZR1's cross the block for under $15,000.00 to $18,000.00. All 4 of the commentators continuously talk about the incredible value for the money that the C4's are. No respect money-wise, but plenty of respect from muscle car aficionados.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
if you want waves, buy an old english sports car; misery really loves company
Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

having spent the summer, each summer, about 30 miles from Dollywood, at grandparents home, I too was unaware of scorpions in that part of the country. Seen wild hogs and bears, ect.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM
karkrazy1971
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rconkin
I've had my 89 for about a month and a half now and had read on here about C4s not getting any respect and being looked down on. I Just wanted to pass on my experience from this weekend. My wife and I rented a cabin in Tellico Plains this past weekend to drive the Cherohala Skyway, upon advice from another forum member, for our anniversary weekend get away. On interstate 81 on the way down Friday I had a C5 Vert pull up beside me and was looking over checking out my 89 as I was checking out his also. I waved and he waved back then went ahead and finished passing me. I was behind him for 20 or so miles until he exited and while he was going down the off ramp waved again and gave me a thumbs up which made me feel real good.

On Saturday we drove the Skyway and while stopped at one of the overlooks where there was already a Boxster parked a guy on a sport bike pulled in and stopped. He had taken his helmet off and as we were walking back I asked How his day was going as we walked by. He said he was having a good day just changing batteries in his bluetooth. After we had walked past him I heard him say "That's my dream car" so I turned around to make sure he was talking to me with the very nice Boxster sitting there also. He was talking to me and we talked about Vettes for a little while then went on our way.

I did meet 2 other C5s on the drive and one waved and one didn't so I guess it does go both ways. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience that was a part of a wonderful weekend with my wife celebrating our anniversary.
Great to hear the C4 getting the respect it deserves. I honestly didn't expect to see the type of attention my LT4 has gotten. I feel fortunate to have found one in good shape. It'll be interesting to see what happens with these cars in the future. The harder it is to find a clean example, the more it seems to be worth.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Great looking 89! But I may be a little biased.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Looks like a great trip!

2" long Scorpion in our bathroom sink. The wife stepped on one the next night and got stung.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Very very nice
Old 08-19-2014, 05:39 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
Is that Bright Red?? Looks like a lot more "pop" than I remember BR being..... Nice!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vl5150
'89 Corvettes are just special, unique and awesome. Only an uninformed idiot would turn their nose at one of the best sports cars made in it's own time. Thanks for sharing. But where's the pics?
agreed
Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did meet 2 other C5s on the drive and one waved and one didn't so I guess it does go both ways. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience that was a part of a wonderful weekend with my wife celebrating our anniversary.[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to compliment you and your wife on being able to get out and enjoy riding and vacationing in your Vette. You don't know what it means to me to be able to hear about adventures like yours. My wife and I want to travel next year if she is physically capable. She has had 2 major brain surgurys and heart problems but with the grace of God we will be able to travel. One more operation and we should be in the clear. Meanwhile folks, keep those stories coming as for us they continue to be OUR dreams. God bless all of you!
Tommy

Get notified of new replies

To C4 got some Respect

Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good story... And don't pay attention to anybody downplaying the C4. C1 to C7, there's no such thing as a bad or ugly Corvette.... period. Congrats on the car and your anniversary!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by rocco16
Is that Bright Red?? Looks like a lot more "pop" than I remember BR being..... Nice!
Thanks! Yes, it's bright red. I boosted the saturation a tad to make it stand out.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:55 AM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
Great looking 89! But I may be a little biased.
my next corvette

Quick Reply: C4 got some Respect