C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 vette

was wondering what i could do to make my 95 run cooler? i made sure there wasnt anything in the air damn underneith and the k/n filter is clean. i know they run hot compared to most cars but making it run cooler has to be better for it for sure. and also the air damn under the hood coming from the filter box and fastens to the intake looks like it is going from big to smaller in the middle to bigger again where it hooks up to the intake.. is there something i can do there to make it run cooler? or maybe get something different for the air damn under the front to make it run cooler? if so whats the cost for any thing that can get my temp from like 215 to 225 in traffic down to 215 most other times.
thanks for any info in this matter
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddys95
was wondering what i could do to make my 95 run cooler? i made sure there wasnt anything in the air damn underneith and the k/n filter is clean. i know they run hot compared to most cars but making it run cooler has to be better for it for sure. and also the air damn under the hood coming from the filter box and fastens to the intake looks like it is going from big to smaller in the middle to bigger again where it hooks up to the intake.. is there something i can do there to make it run cooler? or maybe get something different for the air damn under the front to make it run cooler? if so whats the cost for any thing that can get my temp from like 215 to 225 in traffic down to 215 most other times.
1)Wash the a/c condensor and radiator out with a garden hose. There is a lot of debris and dirt that gathers in the fins between the condenser and radiator. Do NOT get the Optispark unit wet, located behind the water pump. It's really impossible to reach into that area without removing the upper radiator support cover.

2) Properly flush the cooling system and add new coolant.

Normal operating is between 195 and 225 degrees. The LT1 C4 is designed to run on the hotter side w/o any adverse effects. It uses a reverse cooling system. Do a searh on the forum and you will find LOTS of info.

I did the above procedures recently and i noticed highway (55-65 mph) cruising temps are about 15 degrees cooler now, around 197-202
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Have the computer changed to turn on the fans at a lower temperature. That alone will make a big difference.

I had it done to my 95 and my friends 94. We both run autocross in hot California weather. Both cars stay cool.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 AM
ken4
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Have the computer changed to turn on the fans at a lower temperature. That alone will make a big difference.

I had it done to my 95 and my friends 94. We both run autocross in hot California weather. Both cars stay cool.
Who and how is this done? Can it be done by a regular garage?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

ok yea that makes sense to spray the rad out for sure. so i wanna remove the rad cover and spray from engine side towards the front of the vette to clean out the fins then? the coolent looks clean and new but i have had this vette since june of last year and i have put close to 16000 on it so il try changing the coolent then. i have heard of a red coolent that they say makes the vettes run like 15 to 25 degrees cooler with that product...does anyone know or have you used it??
thanks chris

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
1)Wash the a/c condensor and radiator out with a garden hose. There is a lot of debris and dirt that gathers in the fins between the condenser and radiator. Do NOT get the Optispark unit wet, located behind the water pump. It's really impossible to reach into that area without removing the upper radiator support cover.

2) Properly flush the cooling system and add new coolant.

Normal operating is between 195 and 225 degrees. The LT1 C4 is designed to run on the hotter side w/o any adverse effects. It uses a reverse cooling system. Do a searh on the forum and you will find LOTS of info.

I did the above procedures recently and i noticed highway (55-65 mph) cruising temps are about 15 degrees cooler now, around 197-202
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

thanks john i guess that makes sense never thought of the puter controlling that i guess.. my bad. any idea how to go about doing that myself what i would need? wasnt sure how much money was needed for pluging your laptop into your cars computer and checking things out. ive seen it on street outlaws where they plug into them...lmao big bucks or no? or where would i take it to get that change made?
thanks for the info.
chris

Originally Posted by John A. Marker

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

bigdaddys95: there used to be a program called LT1edit that you could purchase for your laptop and would enable you to change the temps the electric fans would come-on. I do not know if this is still out there or not. I do know that you cannot "borrow" someone else's copy as it will only do one VIN, unless you have the dealership version (BIG $$$$).

Call around local shops, someone may have it and be able to do that.

However I believe this would only lower coolant temp when vehicle is stopped or moving slow as at some set speed the fans turn-off as they hinder air flow. Now I may be wrong on this; I have never checked if they go off or not when travelling at highway speeds.

These cars run hotter than the old Gen I SBCs.....this is how they were designed. I put a lower temp thermostat in and it only helps for a short while as coolant flows earlier than normal, but engine will still heat to what it is going to....can't change physics.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Is this with, or without the A/C turned on?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

ok yea that makes sense to spray the rad out for sure. so i wanna remove the rad cover and spray from engine side towards the front of the vette to clean out the fins then? the coolent looks clean and new but i have had this vette since june of last year and i have put close to 16000 on it so il try changing the coolent then. i have heard of a red coolent that they say makes the vettes run like 15 to 25 degrees cooler with that product...does anyone know or have you used it??
thanks chris
Originally Posted by LannyL81
However I believe this would only lower coolant temp when vehicle is stopped or moving slow as at some set speed the fans turn-off as they hinder air flow. Now I may be wrong on this; I have never checked if they go off or not when travelling at highway speeds.

These cars run hotter than the old Gen I SBCs.....this is how they were designed. I put a lower temp thermostat in and it only helps for a short while as coolant flows earlier than normal, but engine will still heat to what it is going to....can't change physics.
That's correct spray in the opposite direction that the air flow pushed things into the little fins.

I am not aware of any "special" coolent that runs 15 - 25 degrees cooler. Do NOT mix dexcool (orange) with regular (green).

The fans shut off a speeds above (I believe it 40mph) as above that speed the fan blades actually hinder the volume of air able to pass through the radiator.

Physics is physics and a 160 isn't going to do anything to make the car run cooler after the temp reaches 160
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Williamlindsey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default addative

Several of the c4 owners i know have put a product in their coolant statems called wetter water its kinda pink supposed to help run about 20 degrees cooler. I just put some in mine but havent been able to see the difference as i haven't driven it in hot weather as it was cooler yesterday. I'll post when i have been able to drive it up to temp.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Lanny81 is correct, the computer ends up being vin specific. So you will have to find someone that can flash the computer. 99% of your everyday auto repair shops can not do this. Even at highway speeds of on the autocross track I very seldom reach 200 degrees.

Hi Lanny! The 95 is still running strong. Changed every coolant hose a while back and flushed the system. Keeping your car in top shape!!

-John
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Williamlindsey
Several of the c4 owners i know have put a product in their coolant statems called wetter water its kinda pink supposed to help run about 20 degrees cooler. I just put some in mine but havent been able to see the difference as i haven't driven it in hot weather as it was cooler yesterday. I'll post when i have been able to drive it up to temp.
Snake oil. Don't waste your money.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The thermostat determines the MINIMUM temperature the engine will operate at.

The MAXIMUM temperature is determined by engine load, coolant flow rate, air flow rate and how efficient your radiator is.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:22 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Read the sticky on top in this section for some good info
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 AM
carguyinok
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I just turn the A/C on. When you turn on the A/C that defaults the secondary cooling fan into running. I've rarely seen coolant temps above 207 in traffic with the A/C running. Just a tip that's an immediate no cost fix.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

thanks lanny for the info...yea dont want the big buck version for sure lol.. yea i have noticed my fan kick on at highway speeds if its a hotter day.
thanks chris

Originally Posted by LannyL81
bigdaddys95: there used to be a program called LT1edit that you could purchase for your laptop and would enable you to change the temps the electric fans would come-on. I do not know if this is still out there or not. I do know that you cannot "borrow" someone else's copy as it will only do one VIN, unless you have the dealership version (BIG $$$$).

Call around local shops, someone may have it and be able to do that.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

thanks carguy.. yea in stop and go traffic or contruction sit and go mine has reached as high as 225 228 before the fan kicks on and takes it down to around 210. but yea i did notice that when i turn the air on it does keep it cooler on hot days.
thanks chris

Originally Posted by carguyinok
Personally I just turn the A/C on. When you turn on the A/C that defaults the secondary cooling fan into running. I've rarely seen coolant temps above 207 in traffic with the A/C running. Just a tip that's an immediate no cost fix.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, with the AC on the secondary fan automatically turns on.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 vette

Quick Reply: 95 vette