C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

new member to the c4 community

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 PM
s346k
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default new member to the c4 community

what we have here is a 1984 corvette. white exterior, red interior, 350 crossfire engine, 700r4 automatic transmission, and a dana 36 rear axle with what I believe to be a 307 diff. the car has 115k original miles on it and had been sitting roughly 3 years before the previous owner bought it because of a no-start when hot condition. someone threw parts it early this year in an effort to correct it. new fuel pump, FP relay, plugs, wires, injectors, battery, vacuum hoses, ecu, and ignition module to name a few. apparently the ecu is what fixed the problem. after getting the car home and replacing a burnt (new) plug wire, it now runs pretty damn good, with exception to a random misfire at idle in gear. discovering the work done by one of the previous owners has prompted me to check and/or redo his work in an effort to keep stuff like this from happening again. the car is 100% factory stock with exception to the aforementioned parts, new tires and an aftermarket cd player. it has recently recovered seats, which stick out like a dime in a goat's *** when looking at the car. it also has a rebuilt digital gauge cluster. basically everything else on the car is still as it was from gm in july of 1983 when it rolled off the assembly line. a time machine if you will. everything is present on the vehicle, and most of it still works. the power mirrors are the only thing I have found that do not work (neither of them). there are a million and one buttons/switches in the cabin, it's amazing that everything survived. at some point the car got another spray of white paint (poorly done I might add), but the body is straight, undamaged, and there is 0 rust anywhere on the car. I've put roughly 75 miles on it today with no issue.

current issues needing addressed: it needs weatherstripping. like 10 years ago. someone took it upon themselves to use electrical tape instead of simply replacing the rubber. dumb. I've got a source for all of the weatherstripping and plan to order it soon. I won't drive the car on a rainy day until then, because the interior is actually one of the nicer points of the car.

it has a bad clunk in the driveline, trans mount etc...

that's really it on keeping me from driving it every day, which I plan on doing.

immediate "mods" planned: new stereo speakers. try and find a better method of air delivery to the engine. the crossfire hat has 2 very small holes that operate on a butterfly setup to suck in air. not that the engine needs a lot of air, it just looks terribly inefficient and problematic. everything works now, so I may not even mess with it. it's a 200hp 350cid engine. it needs no help failing.

160* or 180* thermostat and radiator fan relay configured with 200* on/185* off settings. this thing runs hot. all the time. it appears to have a 195* tstat in it now and runs dead on 200 going down the highway. the instant you slow down it starts climbing...and climbing...and climbing, until it finally reaches 238* where the factory fan kicks on. in weather like this the car basically floats between 220-230 without moderate highway use.

that's really all I plan on doing immediately. I think the car just needs driven. it had 1200 miles put on it in the last 6? years.

ultimate plans: lsx and most likely a 4L60e. I've been researching this swap for awhile and it doesn't seem overly difficult. I will most likely go pull a 5.3 from a junkyard to use for an engine. c5 assessories and oil pan, 98 fbod manifolds...remove the a/c stuff and throw it in the trash as usual, although it does work in its current state. get the bugs worked out so to speak then get surrious. if I have the loot at the time i'll t56 swap it, otherwise i'll just put a big converter in it and probably blow up the 60e. source a more powerful lsx flavor of the week for me, and pull the 5.3 out.

I'm looking forward to improving the car as-is (long road right) and enjoying it. it drives very well, just needs about 300 more hp. I'd like to keep it together until after the power tour next year, as I have done 4 so far and not 1 in my own vehicle.

Quick Reply: new member to the c4 community