C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'84 Crossfire to newer EFI - Inglese Sidedraft

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:34 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default '84 Crossfire to newer EFI - Inglese Sidedraft

I am looking into updating my tired Crossfire for next year's project. I definitely don't want to go the carb route. I know it's a cheap alternative, but I want to stay fuel injected.

Some of the setups like MSD's Atomic EFI and EZ EFI all seem to work well, but I don't want to have a "carb look" to the car.

I recently saw an ad in the recent Car Craft issue (Nov. 2014 page 11) for an Inglese Sidedraft injection system that uses EZ EFI's setup. It looks like the old style mechanical fuel injection systems and the price is pretty competitive to all the EFI systems out there.

http://www.inglese.com/ing/self-tuni...on-systemhtml/

Anyone else have a thought about EFI updates?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I have never had any experience with aftermarket efi but the ones I have seen really seem to run super nice. One guy in our area has a sweet 55 Chevy with injection stacks through the hood and it is real injection but it has been converted to efi. That thing idles like my '12 Silverado. If you feel you can do the tuning on a laptop or know someone who can then I'd say go for it, that should be a killer look.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Interesting, but the price is pretty steep !

the big drawback would be the intakes sucking in the hot air straight off the top of the headers ?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my opinion upgrading a crossfire just means go to the TPI route... Simple, bolt on intake and 165 ecm/harnes... A way better system and a faster ecm .you can find a full TPI system on ebay for cheap and you gain 25 hp
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

^Total waste of money and time. You can gain more than the 25 hp TPI may give you, by porting your stock CFI and spending ~$50 on the same gaskets you'd need to convert to TPI. CFI ECM isn't slower than the TPI either as has been proven on another forum by a member who had the ability to hack the '84 ECM.

As for the side draft and what I think; $2700, and you still need a carb'ed intake to put that on, and you still have a wet (not port) intake. I don't "get it". Not worth it. It won't perform great, and it doesn't look authentic either -looks like something that would belong on a Subaru or VW Beetle engine.. I'd either stick w/CFI, ($) Move to some type of MPFI system (not TPI) ($$$), or I'd find a true, vintage cross ram intake meant for side drafts on a SBC and convert it to MPFI ($$$$). Like this:

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 09-02-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

From the data i have 870 and previous ecms are 160 baud vs 8192 baud of next generation 165 ecms,so, speakin in terms of data rate no way previous generation may be as fast as 165 and up, as for the crossfire porting job/gain i'm a TPI guy and no experiences....
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by tunedport85inject
From the data i have 870 and previous ecms are 160 baud vs 8192 baud of next generation 165 ecms,so, speakin in terms of data rate no way previous generation may be as fast as 165 and up,
I'll see if I can find the link, but I think the site that analysis was posted on is gone (old Crossfire vault), but IDK if it even matters. People have gotten fine results using stock ECM.

Originally Posted by tunedport85inject
as for the crossfire porting job/gain i'm a TPI guy and no experiences....
So why do you repeatedly suggest to CFI owners to "switch to TPI"?

The BEST options for a CFI owner are to:
1. "Fix" the CFI to make it work better (which should be as good or better than a stock TPI) and costs very little, OR
2. Swap to a MPFI system OTHER THAN TPI. Any MPFI system will cost about what an TPI will cost and provide a much better platform for future mods. Spending the $$$ for a bunch of stock TPI parts to end up w/a choked off, LTR intake is definitely not the best advice.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a FAST EFI 2.0 system on my '84. There is no way that the stock crossfire system would be able to handle the set up I have, a "stock" mpfi system wouldn't be able to handle it either unless very heavily modified. I cant speak of experience with the side draft look alike set ups, but that system where it bolts to a 4150 flanged manifold looks like it wouldn't flow very well and its more for the looks of having side drafts. My EFI 2.0 throttle body/fuel system can handle up to 1200HP w/N02 or 800-900 hp with boost with no modifications to the system, just a tune.

If you want to go with an aftermarket EFI system, I would highly suggest the FAST EFI 2.0 system. If you want to go boost, you will need the XFI ECU, if you don't plan on going for boost the regular EZ EFI 2.0 ECU that comes in the kits will work great. The self tuning works perfect unless you have an extremely aggressive cam (like myself). If that is the case regular laptop tuning can be done.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'll see if I can find the link, but I think the site that analysis was posted on is gone (old Crossfire vault), but IDK if it even matters. People have gotten fine results using stock ECM.

So why do you repeatedly suggest to CFI owners to "switch to TPI"?

The BEST options for a CFI owner are to:
1. "Fix" the CFI to make it work better (which should be as good or better than a stock TPI) and costs very little, OR
2. Swap to a MPFI system OTHER THAN TPI. Any MPFI system will cost about what an TPI will cost and provide a much better platform for future mods. Spending the $$$ for a bunch of stock TPI parts to end up w/a choked off, LTR intake is definitely not the best advice.
I should have known that CFI guys are jealous of their engines...

forgive this incautious TPI guy...lesson learned sir

Last edited by tunedport85inject; 09-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Correct me if i am wrong but converting and 84 to any intake system except Carb, Xram or Renegade means changing the hood do to the design of the 84 and its clearance.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

No, there is clearance between the air ducts for an air filter/carb/hat/ or plenum where the CFI air filter housing would normally reside. You're eliminating your ability to have a CAI though, once you eliminate the CFI filter housing.

Ex-crossfire (I t hink that's his name) is running a regular carbe'ed intake on his '84, w/TBI, I think

383vette is running a miniram, was running a super ram on his '84

QWS is running a Holley HSR on his '84

...as a few examples. There is as much room as in any C4. (not a lot)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

FIRST has a pretty slick EFI setup, that uses an LTR setup. Comes with it's own programmer, can self tune, has varying trim levels.
https://www.firstfuelinjection.com/services.html
It's pricy as hell of course, but if I had an 84 and wanted to drop the CFI it'd be right at the top of the list.

The Ramjet Manifold from GMPP is also a good way to go. (and is sold as a complete kit too, or just the manifold depending on your needs). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Chevy-SBC-GM-Ram-Jet-Fuel-Injection-EZ-EFI-Vortec-System-327-350-383-400-/150792027753?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231be7be69&vxp=mtr for example. Of course you'll need vortec heads, but those can be had on the cheap. Said heads are lightyears ahead of the heads that came on the 84 and 85, so it's a double win there.

Side stack EFIs are out there, but I don't think I'd use the EZ EFI with the Ingelese ..that thing looks stupid, and there's no way in hell it'd perform all that well. Now a modded Side Stack like Tom linked? That'd be neat.

Last edited by MavsAK; 09-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Originally Posted by MavsAK
FIRST has a pretty slick EFI setup, that uses an LTR setup. Comes with it's own programmer, can self tune, has varying trim levels.
https://www.firstfuelinjection.com/services.html
It's pricy as hell of course, but if I had an 84 and wanted to drop the CFI it'd be right at the top of the list.

The Ramjet Manifold from GMPP is also a good way to go. (and is sold as a complete kit too, or just the manifold depending on your needs). Small Chevy SBC GM RAM Jet Fuel Injection EZ EFI Vortec System 327 350 383 400 | eBay for example. Of course you'll need vortec heads, but those can be had on the cheap. Said heads are lightyears ahead of the heads that came on the 84 and 85, so it's a double win there.

Side stack EFIs are out there, but I don't think I'd use the EZ EFI ..that thing looks stupid, and there's no way in hell it'd perform all that well. Now a modded Side Stack like Tom linked? That'd be neat.
The system you linked is EZ EFI... Just with a FIRST manifold. There are a lot of companies out there that use FAST software and ECUs with their EFI systems, but they all use the EFI 1.0 system, which is lack luster, especially when compared to the EFI 2.0 system from FAST. They actually sell the EZ 2.0 system with just a wiring harness and ECU and you can use whatever manifold, throttle body and injectors you want. Just takes longer to self tune that way.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbd84
The system you linked is EZ EFI... Just with a FIRST manifold. There are a lot of companies out there that use FAST software and ECUs with their EFI systems, but they all use the EFI 1.0 system, which is lack luster, especially when compared to the EFI 2.0 system from FAST. They actually sell the EZ 2.0 system with just a wiring harness and ECU and you can use whatever manifold, throttle body and injectors you want. Just takes longer to self tune that way.
More specifically I'm concerned about the Ingelese. I should have specified that.

I don't think I'd trust that 4 runner system over a ramjet, LTR or 8 side stack system.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Originally Posted by MavsAK
More specifically I'm concerned about the Ingelese. I should have specified that.

I don't think I'd trust that 4 runner system over a ramjet, LTR or 8 side stack system.
Ah, yeah that system the OP linked wont flow that well with the amount of directional changes the air would have to make. This system on the other hand would be exactly what the OP would be looking for, and it looks AMAZING.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/self...all-blockhtml/

On their website they say its only for the EFI 1.0 system, but if you call them they will build you anything, and if you talk to them at a car event they will give you a pretty good discount.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Geeze, the head entry angle on that thing looks terrible.

Get notified of new replies

To '84 Crossfire to newer EFI - Inglese Sidedraft

Quick Reply: '84 Crossfire to newer EFI - Inglese Sidedraft