C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstrip Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM
PSU69
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weatherstrip Installation

I will be installing Willcox windshield weatherstrip on my '86 coupe. They say to clean all weatherstrip bonding surfaces with reducer or thinner. You must remove all mold release agent from the weatherstrip before installing. What do you use to do this? Can the same product be used to clean the weatherstrip and remove any mold release agent?

They also say to wipe a small skim coat on the part and on the car where the weatherstrip is to be installed. What product is used for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by PSU69; 09-05-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi...Was reading the same information you did from Wilcox. The adhesive is the skim coat they refer to. If you don't have the adhesive,which they sell get some good stuff. I did about 90% of my 89 and followed the instructions about cleaning and how to use the adhesive, no problems 6 years after. It's not a difficult job but it needs to done right. Good luck with your project, my 93 will get new weatherstripping this winter. Plan on buying mine from Wilcox, great reviews and looks like they make a great product at a fair price.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM
PSU69
Advanced

Originally Posted by jph46
Hi...Was reading the same information you did from Wilcox. The adhesive is the skim coat they refer to. If you don't have the adhesive,which they sell get some good stuff. I did about 90% of my 89 and followed the instructions about cleaning and how to use the adhesive, no problems 6 years after. It's not a difficult job but it needs to done right. Good luck with your project, my 93 will get new weatherstripping this winter. Plan on buying mine from Wilcox, great reviews and looks like they make a great product at a fair price.
Thanks for the info. What did you clean it with? Is alcohol OK?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PSU69
Thanks for the info. What did you clean it with? Is alcohol OK?
I cleaned mine with 91% alcohol. Worked fine.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When I did my '88 I used WS adhesive solvent, safe for paint, from AutoZone. I cut some popcycle sticks to square ends and used them to scrape off any old adhesive after softening with the solvent.

I did the WS install on a hot sunny day to assure the WS could be easily stretched and moved as needed.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 AM
PSU69
Advanced

Great info. Thanks to all.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sassman
I cleaned mine with 91% alcohol. Worked fine.
To be clear, I used 91% alcohol for wipe down after I removed the old adhesive and rubber with Goo Gone. The alcohol degreases everything nicely. Just don't get sloppy with it, as it could affect your paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Installation

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Installation