C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

cleaning metal shavings, porting

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 04:07 PM
zalydor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning metal shavings, porting

Hey guys i ported my intake today -- TB, runners, base, and plenum. Theres alot of metal shavings stuck to the carbon deposits inside the whole system and i cant seem to get them all. I definately dont want to run the car with metal shavings in the intake. What can i do? Tried compressed air and brushes. Thought about running rags through but i dont see how i can get all of it
Old 09-06-2014, 11:31 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have used a spray wash along with soap and water to hold the particles in suspension. Also don't underestimate the power of hot soapy water- use the dishwasher! (see my avatar).
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Have you tried hot soapy water? A big tub or deep sink makes this easier. After the scrub, hose it down with a high pressure wash job. If there's a heat shield on the bottom of the manifold, don't forget to remove the shield for a good clean-up.

Is this an '84 CFI manifold?

(It looks like mike100 is a faster typist than I am!!)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

You can always try a spray on degreaser first with a brush and brake cleaner last. I never had an issue, but I always cleaned any excess oil or other build up out of the intake or plenum before taking the air grinder to it to port or gasket match.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I suggest brake parts cleaner. Magic stuff.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I suggest brake parts cleaner. Magic stuff.
and agree w/ Mike 100 as well. If you have access to a pressure washer, it is amazing what a little "Simple Green" and 2000 psi of water pressure will clean up!

Brake cleaner: I especially like the kind containing tetrachloroethylene* kind as the primary ingredient (less so for those only containing the petroleum distillate type solvent) - especially if you want absolutely NO oily film. But, in this application, absolutely oil free is not critical. So, the petroleum distillates wold be fine, I guess.

*CRC Brakclean (red can) is my favorite. Works to remove grease from some clothes, including silk ties too, if you blot it right away.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-07-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
*CRC Brakclean (red can) is my favorite. Works to remove grease from some clothes, including silk ties too, if you blot it right away.
I love CRC products, especially their electrical cleaner but I never thought to use them on clothes! Lol
Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 PM
zalydor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up pressure washing and using soap baths plus a few cleaners and lastly running rags through everything. Lots of work but its gonna look great and run better so its worth it. Anyone have suggestions on what to use on the threads? Ive heard antiseize but im also hearing thread locker. If someone could list some brands i would appreciate it
Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

If your threading into aluminum...always use anti-seize on the bolt threads. If your bolts are into aluminum heads (manifold bolts) that pass thru into the valley where they will get oil on them, they use a thread sealer. I would never use something like Loctite on any bolt going into aluminum.

Get notified of new replies

To cleaning metal shavings, porting

Quick Reply: cleaning metal shavings, porting