C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vats key info........

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Vats key info........

Most of you know this, but for those who don't, it may be helpful.

I have been using the original ignition key for my 1992. The vette started perfectly every time, but when inserting the key into the ignition, the chime was not always audible. I thought the chime was just 'tired' after 22 years of operation.

I purchased spare ignition keys (3) today, and now my chime works perfectly. I guess the VATS key was the unit that was 'tired'.

Searching for key blanks, I found the unit price fluctuated from about $7 to $42 on ebay, dealers, and locksmiths.

I found this shop that sells GM VATS key for $3.36/ea with free shipping: http://replacemyremote.com/checkout/cart/

To order key blanks, you will need to measure the resistance of your ignition key (simple):

My local locksmith charges $5/key to cut the blanks. I'm sure your local locksmith will only guarantee the 'cut', and not the resistance, so make sure you provide the correct blank
Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 PM
PSU69
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seabright
Most of you know this, but for those who don't, it may be helpful.

I have been using the original ignition key for my 1992. The vette started perfectly every time, but when inserting the key into the ignition, the chime was not always audible. I thought the chime was just 'tired' after 22 years of operation.

I purchased spare ignition keys (3) today, and now my chime works perfectly. I guess the VATS key was the unit that was 'tired'.

Searching for key blanks, I found the unit price fluctuated from about $7 to $42 on ebay, dealers, and locksmiths.

I found this shop that sells GM VATS key for $3.36/ea with free shipping: http://replacemyremote.com/checkout/cart/

To order key blanks, you will need to measure the resistance of your ignition key (simple): How to Measure a Vats Key - YouTube

My local locksmith charges $5/key to cut the blanks. I'm sure your local locksmith will only guarantee the 'cut', and not the resistance, so make sure you provide the correct blank
I just went through this with my '86. Paid $9.25 (shipped) for the blank key, and my local hardware store cut it for free. Works great. Sort of a PITA, but it gave me a chance to use my ohmmeter.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Yup I did this as well. Simple and inexpensive.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Vats key info........

Quick Reply: Vats key info........