C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 C4 Hatch Ajar Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 PM
W1WLH
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 C4 Hatch Ajar Problem

My 1985 Vette doesn't have a hatch ajar switch installed - can't imagine why. I've researched the Shop Manual and Parts Manual and am trying to determine if the wiring and indicator system are working before I go any further.

My 1985 GM Corvette Shop Manual identifies a "Diode Module" installed just prior to the Hatch Ajar switch but I cannot find a description of the module (color-shape-number of wires, etc) or a GM part number from the GM Parts Manual. Without that I can't chase down the part so if any of you know what it is please include it with your reply.

FYI - I tested the diode module with an Ohm Meter but get no reading so I'm assuming it's defective. I also tried grounding each side of the plug that a ajar switch connects to but no hatch ajar light illuminated on the Digital Information Center (DIC). I know the bulb is good so that's not the problem and all but my seat belt warning lights appears to be functional. That's another project once I get this one corrected.

I've studied the associated wiring diagram and will try grounding the "gray" wire leading from the tell tale assembly to the diode module to see if that turns on the light. If it lights the light, the next likely step would be getting a replacement diode module and a functional ajar switch.

If anyone has some personal knowledge about this issue, please reply to my post. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by W1WLH
My 1985 Vette doesn't have a hatch ajar switch installed - can't imagine why. I've researched the Shop Manual and Parts Manual and am trying to determine if the wiring and indicator system are working before I go any further.

My 1985 GM Corvette Shop Manual identifies a "Diode Module" installed just prior to the Hatch Ajar switch but I cannot find a description of the module (color-shape-number of wires, etc) or a GM part number from the GM Parts Manual. Without that I can't chase down the part so if any of you know what it is please include it with your reply.

FYI - I tested the diode module with an Ohm Meter but get no reading so I'm assuming it's defective. I also tried grounding each side of the plug that a ajar switch connects to but no hatch ajar light illuminated on the Digital Information Center (DIC). I know the bulb is good so that's not the problem and all but my seat belt warning lights appears to be functional. That's another project once I get this one corrected.

I've studied the associated wiring diagram and will try grounding the "gray" wire leading from the tell tale assembly to the diode module to see if that turns on the light. If it lights the light, the next likely step would be getting a replacement diode module and a functional ajar switch.

If anyone has some personal knowledge about this issue, please reply to my post. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Mine was broken and no hatch ajar light and the alarm will just stop sensing it. To fix it I bought one from Pat at WTB parts forum and now my ajar lights up and works great. If it broke and was removed it will not have any response. Good luck
Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 AM
W1WLH
Cruising

Originally Posted by xrav22
Mine was broken and no hatch ajar light and the alarm will just stop sensing it. To fix it I bought one from Pat at WTB parts forum and now my ajar lights up and works great. If it broke and was removed it will not have any response. Good luck
Thanks for the info. Can you provide me with an email address or link to Pat at WTB?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by W1WLH
Thanks for the info. Can you provide me with an email address or link to Pat at WTB?
in the WTB section(c4parts for sale/wanted) Pat at See4Parts sold me a nice used one mabey they have another , the thing was a little to pricey for a new one online.

Last edited by xrav22; 09-17-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:10 PM
W1WLH
Cruising

Originally Posted by xrav22
in the WTB section(c4parts for sale/wanted) Pat at See4Parts sold me a nice used one mabey they have another , the thing was a little to pricey for a new one online.
I spent 5 hours 2day trouble shooting the problem all of which was to no avail. I can't get the light 2 test no matter whether there's a switch in the system or not so I'm giving up. I really don't need a hatch ajar light anyway. Thanks for your recommendation. I consider this matter closed.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 C4 Hatch Ajar Problem

Quick Reply: 1985 C4 Hatch Ajar Problem