Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

door ajar light

Old 09-17-2014, 02:05 PM
joey.k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door ajar light

hi guys. I am having a problem with my 1988 Corvette. I bought the car a little over a year ago and the door ajar light was always staying on. I brought it to my local garage and they told me I would have to replace the door ajar switch,so they ordered the part and changed it but the light never went off and since they gave me a 90 day warranty on the car I did not have to pay so I told them it wouldnt be a problem with me if the light stayed on. Well now iafter driving the car for a while the door ajar light on is getting on my nerves.haha. Is there any way of just disconnecting it and is it easy to do??? thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by joey.k
hi guys. I am having a problem with my 1988 Corvette. I bought the car a little over a year ago and the door ajar light was always staying on. I brought it to my local garage and they told me I would have to replace the door ajar switch,so they ordered the part and changed it but the light never went off and since they gave me a 90 day warranty on the car I did not have to pay so I told them it wouldnt be a problem with me if the light stayed on. Well now iafter driving the car for a while the door ajar light on is getting on my nerves.haha. Is there any way of just disconnecting it and is it easy to do??? thanks
Did they actually replace the a-jar switch or maybe just the courtesy light switch? Do you know which location the switch was in on the car that they changed? Maybe you actually still need an a-jar switch or need to maybe attempt to clean the contact or maybe reposition the plunger.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 PM
joey.k
Advanced

Default door ajar light.

I really dont know what they changed or what they did. is there any way of just disconnecting it so the light isnt on all the time?? thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The door ajar switch is on the lower rear of the door. It's quite common for the plunger to get stuck in the pushed-in position, in which case the door ajar light never comes on. Since you have the opposite problem, I don't know what to advise except to check out the switches and see what you can find.

I have tried several kinds of lubricants on the switch plunger and the only one that has worked reliably is WD-40.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 AM
joey.k
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The door ajar switch is on the lower rear of the door. It's quite common for the plunger to get stuck in the pushed-in position, in which case the door ajar light never comes on. Since you have the opposite problem, I don't know what to advise except to check out the switches and see what you can find.

I have tried several kinds of lubricants on the switch plunger and the only one that has worked reliably is WD-40.
thank you
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 AM
VetteandJeep
Intermediate

I had the same problem but also my alarm would go of after a locked the doors. I also sprayed the plunger with a lubricant, light continued to go on. A mechanic check all of my ground wires and I still had the problem. He then adjusted the plunger and the ajar light still came on. I then took it the dealership and they said I had to replace the plunger, but the part was discontinued for a 91 Vette.

Out of desperation, this is going to sound stupid. I place on of those soft pads that you place under a chair so it would't scratch the wooden floor on the plastic piece that the plunger touches as a spacer and low and behold it worked. I assumed that the plastic piece just flattened over the years.

Simple solution that only cost pennies to fix.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM
joey.k
Advanced

Default door ajar light.

Originally Posted by VetteandJeep
I had the same problem but also my alarm would go of after a locked the doors. I also sprayed the plunger with a lubricant, light continued to go on. A mechanic check all of my ground wires and I still had the problem. He then adjusted the plunger and the ajar light still came on. I then took it the dealership and they said I had to replace the plunger, but the part was discontinued for a 91 Vette.

Out of desperation, this is going to sound stupid. I place on of those soft pads that you place under a chair so it would't scratch the wooden floor on the plastic piece that the plunger touches as a spacer and low and behold it worked. I assumed that the plastic piece just flattened over the years.

Simple solution that only cost pennies to fix.
you know what I am going to give that a try. Thank you very much for the helpful hint.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 AM
joey.k
Advanced

Default door ajar light.

Originally Posted by joey.k
you know what I am going to give that a try. Thank you very much for the helpful hint.
hey VetteandJeep I cant believe it but it really worked. I bought a pack mof those pads for a dollar and stuck it on and the door ajar light doesnt stay on except when I open the door. Like you said cost me pennies to fix the proble. You are a life saver.haha thank you very much buddy.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM
VetteandJeep
Intermediate

I am glad I was able to help out. Sometimes we tend to over think something when maybe there is a simple solution.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For door ajar problem. You can pull out the plunger and put a couple of small 0-rings on the plunger. Then install the plunger back into the switch.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM
VetteandJeep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samsonb
For door ajar problem. You can pull out the plunger and put a couple of small 0-rings on the plunger. Then install the plunger back into the switch.
Just wondering if the interior lights would go on when the door is opened.

Get notified of new replies

To door ajar light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door ajar light