C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Exhaust popping question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust popping question

So I recently installed a pair of muffler eliminators on my 84. I love the sound compared to my stock mufflers. I just have to questions. When I rev the car high, the exhaust pops when you let go. Is this what you would call a "backfire" and is it bad? Or is that just how a car with no mufflers sounds? I do have a small exhaust leak so is that why? I can hear some tick ticking in my exhaust sometimes after I turn it off.

And secondly, when I first start my car, and let it idle for a minute, sometimes I hear this noise in my exhaust that sounds like things are bumping around inside my exhaust. Its hard to explain but i've only heard it at idle when my car is cold.

thanks!!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

The "ticking" is the metal exhaust pipes expanding or contracting. Welded together pipes and mufflers can sometimes do this. Especially glass pack mufflers. The "popping" noise you mention is completely normal with no mufflers.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

It sounds good, IMO.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 AM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
It sounds good, IMO.
I like it as well, I just wanted to know if it was considered a backfire or if it was just normal. What causes the popping?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
mmandley
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
I like it as well, I just wanted to know if it was considered a backfire or if it was just normal. What causes the popping?
When you rev the engine, its dumping a lot of fuel to allow the engine to rev.

When you let off the accelerator and the engine is still high RPM you have unburned fuel in the cylinders, that is now exiting into the headers and pipes. This unburned fuel then ignites and makes the popping you hear.

A back fire is the same thing but its normally due to a cylinder being out of time and the Spark fires when the Exhaust valve is opening causing the Power stroke to exit into the header and creates a much louder bang noise, more similar to the sound of a shotgun.

Reving up and light popping on deceleration is fine and normal, loud shotgun backfires are bad on valves, and headers.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:40 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

does anyone know what makes the weird noise that sounds like somthing is banging around inside my exhaust when my car is cold at idle?

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust popping question

Quick Reply: Exhaust popping question