C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Only left 1 black mark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only left 1 black mark?

So I was on my way home last night in my 84. The road was wet so I decided to have a little fun. I turned onto my road and stomped on it. It felt like my wheels were spinning a little but I never got out of control. The next day I was driving to work, and saw that there was only one 5 foot long black mark. Not 2. Why would only one of my tires leave a mark. Was only one of my wheels spinning? Does it have somthing to do with posi?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

My 87 was doing that at 80k miles. Drag racing is hard on the posi. Rebuilt the posi at 90k . All good till about 170k. Needs rebuilt again. Carrying 100# of lead shot in the back until I decide to fix it.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:03 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by JackDidley
My 87 was doing that at 80k miles. Drag racing is hard on the posi. Rebuilt the posi at 90k . All good till about 170k. Needs rebuilt again. Carrying 100# of lead shot in the back until I decide to fix it.

Remember your Vette is 31 years old.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Well, if the pavement was wet, what is the possibility the single scratch may have been laid down by another car, and because of the water, you tires didn't leave any mark at all?

But, that aside, it sounds like a new clutch pack is in order. Have you changed differential fluid? AND, if you did, did you put in that little bottle of posi-track fluid from GM? (If I can find a bottle, I'll give you the part number)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

easy enough test....take it on a dry road and stomp on it....should be leaving two black strips....mine does, even spinning circles both tires lay it down....
Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... The C4 posi units are clutch style , preloaded by a Belleville washer ... clutches wear out ... don't continue to do one-wheel burnouts as it will cause the spider gears to overheat and weld themselves to the shaft they are on ... then you will need to buy a complete differential instead of just a clutch pack ...........
Old 09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
... don't continue to do one-wheel burnouts as it will cause the spider gears to overheat and weld themselves to the shaft they are on ............
What?

It's not unusual for a clutch type differential to do single wheel when one tire or the other has "more slip/loss of grip". If the differential hasn't been serviced recently I'd consider fresh fluid with the limited slip additive and then do several tight figure 8's in a large parking lot to maybe decrease a finish that the clutch packs may have developed because of use. Use the gear lube of choice and if you can find the older GM # 1052358 additive on the shelf use it. In your particular case maybe two but two is generally considered "overkill"

OP mentioned WET

Does the OP have a problem? Maybe - it's a 30+ year old differential that's likely never had a "clutch-pack" and miles were never mentioned.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-24-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

WOW so you guys are saying i should replace my original dana 36 that has done 170,000 miles and is trouble free even though it has coped with the supercharged engine for the last 8 or 10 years?
She still lays a couple lines of rubber if i stomp on the accelerator.
I must have got a good one

Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Could be the mark was left by the only tire with good contact with the road and the other tire was more in the wet and didn't contact the road enough to leave any rub marks. Try it on smooth dry asphalt and see what you get. One stripe = worn clutches, two stripes = !
Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg

WOW so you guys are saying i should replace my original dana 36 that has done 170,000 miles and is trouble free even though it has coped with the supercharged engine for the last 8 or 10 years?
She still lays a couple lines of rubber if i stomp on the accelerator.
I must have got a good one

I don't believe anyone, certainly I didn't intend on "implying" that "ALL" with high miles are suspect BUT the OP has an '84 and the D36 differential was a known "weak-link" in early production units more than others. The D36 was changed in later '84 production and all '85+ are similar to the later product.

If an '84 early failed it required a case replacement with a differential assembly and also different short axles.

It's good that yours has survived and I believe that it likely should have had a clutch-pack sometime in it's life. That's just part of differential "normal maintenance". Your run it until it breaks is a personal decision. Is it a wise one? It's your gamble.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I don't believe anyone, certainly I didn't intend on "implying" that "ALL" with high miles are suspect BUT the OP has an '84 and the D36 differential was a known "weak-link" in early production units more than others. The D36 was changed in later '84 production and all '85+ are similar to the later product.

If an '84 early failed it required a case replacement with a differential assembly and also different short axles.

It's good that yours has survived and I believe that it likely should have had a clutch-pack sometime in it's life. That's just part of differential "normal maintenance". Your run it until it breaks is a personal decision. Is it a wise one? It's your gamble.

Yes you are right it is a bit of a gamble, however it has not shown any problems so far....

I think my diff has survived because i replaced the gasket between the diff to the carier around ten years ago,cleaned the housing and also replaced the limited slip fluid and added fresh gm additive.

The damn thing is leaking at the diff/carrier join again so will be doing it all again soon, will be intersting to see how it looks. I have been thinking of going to the D44 as i have upped my boost from 8 to 14 psi, it may be the final nail in the coffin for the D36.

I don't really want to spill its guts in public, that would be embarrasing

Get notified of new replies

To Only left 1 black mark?

Quick Reply: Only left 1 black mark?