C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to shift in reverse on a 1985 C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
rortizjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to shift in reverse on a 1985 C4

Greetings to all, I have a 1985 C4 that is finally back on the road after replacing many parts, it still has a long way to go but it runs! I need to better understand the proper way that I should shift in reverse with my 4+3 manual transmission as I have to fight with it before it goes into reverse.

Thanks for your guidance
Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rortizjr
Greetings to all, I have a 1985 C4 that is finally back on the road after replacing many parts, it still has a long way to go but it runs! I need to better understand the proper way that I should shift in reverse with my 4+3 manual transmission as I have to fight with it before it goes into reverse.

Thanks for your guidance
Try putting it in first before you get it in reverse. Or try letting off the brake and put it in, or try moving a foot in first before putting it in reverse.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:07 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Reverse

If you're having problems because it grinds when trying to go into reverse, it might be because the hydraulic clutch has not been bleed properly. It's a pain, but it is possible to bleed them and works well once all the air is out.

Let us know more details and you'll likely get a better answer.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 AM
rortizjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hcbph
If you're having problems because it grinds when trying to go into reverse, it might be because the hydraulic clutch has not been bleed properly. It's a pain, but it is possible to bleed them and works well once all the air is out.

Let us know more details and you'll likely get a better answer.
On the shift there is a lever than you engage by pressing it up, and then move the shift to the left. Are you supposed to hold it engaged by moving it across and then up?, or just engage it across, release it and then move if up? Not sure if this makes sense.

Many times my car just moves forward in the reverse gear until I get it right and then it goes in reverse, I am not just sure how to properly engage the lever on the shift in order to get it into reverse.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Karvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the shift there is a lever than you engage by pressing it up, and then move the shift to the left. Are you supposed to hold it engaged by moving it across and then up?, or just engage it across, release it and then move if up? Not sure if this makes sense.

Many times my car just moves forward in the reverse gear until I get it right and then it goes in reverse, I am not just sure how to properly engage the lever on the shift in order to get it into reverse.
Hold up on it through the whole over and up process until it is engaged in reverse.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:47 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

That has to be in the upward position until you get in reverse.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 AM
rortizjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
That has to be in the upward position until you get in reverse.
ok I will try it and let you know what happens, many thanks for your help
Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM
rortizjr
Intermediate

ok I will try it and let you know what happens, many thanks for your help
Thanks to all, I am finally moving in reverse

Get notified of new replies

To How to shift in reverse on a 1985 C4

Quick Reply: How to shift in reverse on a 1985 C4