Confused: C4 Offers Multiple Seat Designs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Confused: C4 Offers Multiple Seat Designs

Greetings Gentlemen:

I'm researching the different seat designs of the C4 from 1993 - 1996 including the CE and ZR1. My question is which seat is considered the most comfortable? Comfortable as in soft but firm padding, quality materials, ample size, easy on the butt, etc.

The Bottom Line: Which is the most comfortable seat?

1993 = White Seats
1994 = Red Seats
1995 = Light Brown / Tan Seats
1996 = Black Seats (with yellow checkered arm rest)
1996 CE = Black Seats
ZR1 = Black Seats (on pavement)
Attached Images       

Last edited by C4.Ray; 09-30-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Believe what you are inferring to are 'Sport' seats.

Example - the black seat in the bottom picture are the factory leather Sport (available in base - not only in ZR-1) seats during the early 90's. Note the set of buttons built in the lower pad - for lumber and bolster adjustment. The White seats in the first picture looks like a standard covering (note the lack of ribs) on the same frame. These seats are best to retain your body securely and useful in AutoX and spirited driving. The drawback is a deeper seat, not so easily to get in/out of, and not too comfy for large framed individuals.

The GM designers got the hint from many complaints regarding how narrow those seats are and came out with the standard seat like those pictured in #2, #3, and #4. That design allowed for more 'wiggle room with more width' and better in/out egress with wider side bolsters. and was available 94-96. Picture #5 is the Sport version for those years.

Ref: http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...seat-covers-c4

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 09-30-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
Greetings Gentlemen:

I'm researching the different seat designs of the C4 from 1993 - 1996 including the CE and ZR1. My question is which seat is considered the most comfortable? Comfortable as in soft but firm padding, quality materials, ample size, easy on the butt, etc.

The Bottom Line: Which is the most comfortable seat?

1993 = White Seats
1994 = Red Seats
1995 = Light Brown / Tan Seats
1996 = Black Seats (with yellow checkered arm rest)
1996 CE = Black Seats
ZR1 = Black Seats (on pavement)
The '94 Red, '95 Tan, and '96 Black (with yellow checkered arm rest) in your pictures are the same "Base Seat", just different colors.
The '96 CE Black seat you pictured is the "Sport Seat", available as an option for any '94-'96 not just the CE

The Sport Seats have the air inflatable lumbar support, the base seats don't.
To say which is more comfortable would be hard, as each person might like something different.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4

Example - the black seat in the bottom picture are the factory leather Sport (available in base - not only in ZR-1) seats during the early 90's. Note the set of buttons built in the lower pad - for lumber and bolster adjustment. The White seats in the first picture looks like a standard covering (note the lack of ribs) on the same frame. These seats are best to retain your body securely and useful in AutoX and spirited driving. The drawback is a deeper seat, not so easily to get in/out of, and not too comfy for large framed individuals.

The GM designers got the hint from many complaints regarding how narrow those seats are and came out with the standard seat like those pictured in #2, #3, and #4.
That design allowed for more 'wiggle room with more width' and better in/out egress with wider side bolsters. and was available 94-96. Picture #5 is the Sport version for those years.

As a "larger framed" C4 driver (5'10" 240lbs), I can say that the seats seem to form to the drivers butt. My 92 C4 has the same seats as in the first pic. When I first got the car, the seats were very uncomfortable because of the side support. Infact, after a couple hours driving, the seats would actually start to cause pain in my thighs from how tight they were. After a few days though, I noticed the seats were starting to loosen up some. Now, after having the car for a couple weeks, the seats have almost completely formed to my butt and are pretty comfortable. I was able to go on a four hour road trip last Thursday and did not experience any discomfort.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 AM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's a loaded question since it's like trying on shoes. It depends on your size and what you do with the car. I have the sport seats on mine (the ones on the pavement) and you have to crawl in to them. If you're wide in the **** and back, they may not fit. The side bolsters are powered and can widen at the expense of getting into the center console. But these seats are by far the sportiest and will hold you in place well under high G loads. The sport seats I have do have quality leather and cushioning more on the firm side. I think they're great seats for a production car.

My brother has the standard seats in his and for day to day use, they are more comfortable without the bolsters easy to get in and out. Quality great as well and perfect for cruising.

If you're big and corner slow or have a tough time getting out of the car, then get flatter seats. IMO is you have a sports car, get sports seats if possible provided they fit. C4's got "softer" as they aged so the seats got flatter.

Last edited by vl5150; 09-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Frame

Just to muddy up the water, I also found that the upper seat frame differs a little by year. I bought slightly used seat leather and foam from another member to replace the seats in my 94 coupe and was unable to use the foam. My upper seat frame has wire "wings" to support the upper bolsters and my foam has little molded pockets for them to slide into. The service manual does not show these wings in the diagram, just the large upside down U frame and the cross supports. I found only one site that sells both types of replacement foam (solid bolsters vs pocket bolsters). I also found a number of posts by members who could not get the foam to fit the frame so they took it to an upolsterer. They probably cut the wings off the frame.

If your looking to change your foam, check before you order. Grab the bolster and squeeze, you should be able to feel the wing if its there. As well, new foam will make you sit up higher in the seat. I'm 6'2 and now I have to slouch alittle so I don't bang my head on the roof when going over bumps.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

My 93' Base Coupe are 1st image (white seats). My seats are very comfortable. I'm average height & weight: 5-9, 165 lbs.

My Question: To Experienced Guys: Base, CE and ZR1 ... Which Seat do you consider the most comfortable?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

My 93' Base Coupe are 1st image (white seats). My seats are very comfortable. I'm average height & weight: 5-9, 165 lbs.

My Question: To Experienced Guys: Base, CE and ZR1 ... Which Seat do you consider the most comfortable?

Thanks.

Tried to answer your question earlier - but here goes. There is no exact answer.

The closest defined direction is - It depends on your style and type of driving....

If you desire a leisurely Sunday cruise - look for a 94 and up seat.
If you desire working a skid pad - a 91-93 sport seat.

Disclaimer: Depends on overall condition of the hardware, foam, and leather - had 92, 93, and 94 seats in the cars.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 09-30-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the '95 with the Sport Seat option. When I was shopping for this car I found out about the difference and decided that the sport seats were the best option for me. I'm 6'3" & 200#. I find the sport seats offer the most "customizability".
Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

It depends on your style and type of driving...
Comfortable seats for Cruising only.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my 91 sports seats. My 92 had base seats and not nearly the lateral support. 6' 185.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:26 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Thx ...

I'd always questioned which year/model had the best seats. Cruising all day comfort, easy on the backside, soft, etc.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Thx ...

I'd always questioned which year/model had the best seats. Cruising all day comfort, easy on the backside, soft, etc.

Thanks
What you like, depends on your frame and the kind of driving you do. But, I can say there is an evolution between the 90 to 95 sport seats; the 90s (IMO) being a complete abomination, but the 95s (perhaps the 94s too) are a different animal: the 90s limited me to a couple hours before having to get out and walk them off. After the first couple of rest stops, the period between stops shrunk to an hour. Buy the time the day was over, I was fed up with the (90) sport seats!

To "fix" that, I opted to buy standard 94/95 seats, as did my wife for her 91 ZR-1.

We love them! For the highway driving we do, and the occasional twisties or drag racing, they're perfect for us; not looking to replace them with anything else at this time.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

The GM designers got the hint from many complaints regarding how narrow those seats are and came out with the standard seat like those pictured in #2, #3, and #4. That design allowed for more 'wiggle room with more width' and better in/out egress with wider side bolsters. and was available 94-96. Picture #5 is the Sport version for those years.

Gm recognized a changing demographic of the corvette buyer. Gone were the young surfer types that bought c2s and enter the mid life crisis types With wider rear ends.

I also want to point out that the fighter jet seats of 84 thru 93 seem less prone to seam bust than the wider rear seats of the 94 thru 96.

Everytime i go to corvette events, i always see a beautiful 94 thru 96 c4, except with white padding busting out somewhere from the seats
Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,092 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've owned an 85 Z51 coupe,90 ZR-1,91 ZR-1,93 40th coupe,and now a 94 ZR-1. The latter has the 94-96 Sport seats and I prefer them w/o a doubt. FWIW,I'm 5'8" 200lbs with a 36" waist.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
I have the '95 with the Sport Seat option. When I was shopping for this car I found out about the difference and decided that the sport seats were the best option for me. I'm 6'3" & 200#. I find the sport seats offer the most "customizability".
Interesting ... So you think Sport Seats offered best comfort. This Seat is my last image, the Seat is sitting on pavement with controls on the Seat itself. Ok ...
Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I love my 91 sports seats. My 92 had base seats and not nearly the lateral support. 6' 185.
Another vote for Sport Seats ... Ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Confused: C4 Offers Multiple Seat Designs

Old 10-03-2014, 05:50 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I opted to buy standard 94/95 seats, as did my wife for her 91 ZR-1. We love them!
And we have a vote for Base or Standard Seats - My first image (white seats) ... Ok.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:53 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I want to point out that the fighter jet seats of 84 thru 93 seem less prone to seam bust than the wider rear seats of the 94 thru 96.
The " Fighter Jet " Seats, you are referring to my first image? Base or Standard Seats, my first image, white seats?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USAZR1
The 94-96 Sport Seats. I prefer them w/o a doubt.
Sport Seats as in my last image? The Seats on the pavement with seat controls on the seat?

Quick Reply: Confused: C4 Offers Multiple Seat Designs