C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fuel pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issue

hi guys, I have an '84 with cross fire injection. 120k on odometer but rebuilt enfine and tranny with no history of time done. However, lately with trying to fix my idling and having long cranks when starting, I've come to the conclusion i have bad fuel pressure. How can I test my fuel pressure? And if it's low, which im sure it is. What can I do to fix it? What areas need to be replaced or checked? And how can I build in a fuel pressure sensor gauge so as to keep an eye on the pressure?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

The factory fuel filter is down on the front pass side frame rail. It has short rubber connector hoses with clamps so is easy to plug in a test pressure gauge. Good time to change out the filter anyway, they are inexpensive too. On my 84 with 70k on it I got a reading of 15 psi. If it reads low then it would be time to install a new pump and fuel sock.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by wilcar
The factory fuel filter is down on the front pass side frame rail. It has short rubber connector hoses with clamps so is easy to plug in a test pressure gauge. Good time to change out the filter anyway, they are inexpensive too. On my 84 with 70k on it I got a reading of 15 psi. If it reads low then it would be time to install a new pump and fuel sock.
If I need to change my pump and sock, are they easy to change out or is it quite a project?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Getting to the fuel pump on a C4 is one of the few projects that isn't a huge hassle. The whole thing comes out of the filler neck. The pump itself might be old and weak. A friend had a pressure problem and it was the rubber hose from the fuel pump to the output steel line. It had developed a leak, from old hard rubber, and was just bleeding off fuel back into the tank. It made just enough pressure that the engine barely ran but it wouldn't pull the car.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by wilcar
So pretty much I need to get the car up on a lift and inspect the entire system. Not too bad. Is it all visible from underneath?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure issue

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure issue