C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sparkly oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

https://www.golenengineservice.com/e...ip-short-block

This is actually really tempting. Complete stroker short block just waiting for some ported LT4 heads and intake. (which I already have, less the ported part)

All things considered, I'm not sure how the end game would come out cost wise. By the time I got mine out, bought all the parts, had it machined and all balanced. I don't know which would have the better value in terms of cost/result.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
https://www.golenengineservice.com/e...ip-short-block

This is actually really tempting. Complete stroker short block just waiting for some ported LT4 heads and intake. (which I already have, less the ported part)

All things considered, I'm not sure how the end game would come out cost wise. By the time I got mine out, bought all the parts, had it machined and all balanced. I don't know which would have the better value in terms of cost/result.
That is not bad. What would you do for heads,Cam etc..
Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm cheep and think it's too much and would go for piecing one out by buying everything and would be shooting for a Forged bottom end for around 3 grand.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Little cheaper.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...FeRj7Aod1BUAHw

Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ch@0s
That is not bad. What would you do for heads,Cam etc..
My line of thinking is/was...having my heads ported and redone along with my intake. I would probably just stick with my hotcam if it were not damaged. If it's an LT1 block, it should just bolt right up. But...I checked it out today, just to see if, wishing, that the oil might be a little cleaner. Hoping that what I found in the new oil was just residue, worth a shot. What I found, however, was strong evidence of coolant in the oil, with a tiny spot of oil bubbling (air) right at the oil filler cap. Either that head is warped or cracked. D@mn it!

Sooo...without the infamous LT4 heads, what's the point of an LT anything?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...make/chevrolet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet
Given the current state, with my Ks tags getting ready to expire, and a landlord that requires proper tags, I need to get this car somewhere. I would really love to take you up on your offer, but man, it might be in your garage for awhile, ya know?

But, I'd like to discuss it. I've been really down all day just thinking that i should just sell it.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 10-15-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

My line of thinking is/was...having my heads ported and redone along with my intake. I would probably just stick with my hotcam if it were not damaged. If it's an LT1 block, it should just bolt right up. But...I checked it out today, just to see if, wishing, that the oil might be a little cleaner. Hoping that what I found in the new oil was just residue, worth a shot. What I found, however, was strong evidence of coolant in the oil, with a tiny spot of oil bubbling (air) right at the oil filler cap. Either that head is warped or cracked. D@mn it!

Sooo...without the infamous LT4 heads, what's the point of an LT anything?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...make/chevrolet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet
Given the current state, with my Ks tags getting ready to expire, and a landlord that requires proper tags, I need to get this car somewhere. I would really love to take you up on your offer, but man, it might be in your garage for awhile, ya know?

But, I'd like to discuss it. I've been really down all day just thinking that i should just sell it.
So for a little over 3 K you can has a 6.0 LS longblock You notice LS performance parts a now on par with the old stuff or even cheaper. That is good news!!

Call me after 4PM today, Well talk. I have room and I hate for you to loose your car over this.

Last edited by ch@0s; 10-15-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

So for a little over 3 K you can has a 6.0 LS longblock You notice LS performance parts a now on par with the old stuff or even cheaper. That is good news!!

Call me after 4PM today, Well talk. I have room and I hate for you to loose your car over this.
Sent a PM, Saturday mornings a good time to call? I had one guy contact me about buying the car, and a salesman from Haik preowned call me about a Camaro SS, I was looking at. Then I started the car to make a vid for the buyer, and fell in love again.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Sent a PM, Saturday mornings a good time to call? I had one guy contact me about buying the car, and a salesman from Haik preowned call me about a Camaro SS, I was looking at. Then I started the car to make a vid for the buyer, and fell in love again.
Yeah... I loved the Camaro SS right up till I drove my C4 back to back with it... C4's alot more fun. Much more violent, and loud.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Yeah... I loved the Camaro SS right up till I drove my C4 back to back with it... C4's alot more fun. Much more violent, and loud.
I agree. My original plan before all of this was to trade my Caddy daily for the SS, and keep the Vette as my true stress reliever. I think I want to stay on this plan, it may just not happen right now.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Okay, so I don't know who, if anyone really is following this saga, but here goes...

I keep pulling up and seeing it sitting there, and all I really want to do when I see it is drive it. This tells me I really don't want to throw in the towel yet.

So the question is what to do.

A) Just take it apart, find the issue and fix that?
B) Get a basic rebuild kit and put it back together?
C) Find an LT1 shortblock and rework my heads and put them on it?
D) Find either an LQ4, LSx short block and piece it together?

Honestly, I'm thinking B. I feel pretty confident in the bottom end, and replacing bearings should be all that's needed there. But cam bearings, nad honing will need done. Gaskets, rings, and springs, along with finding where the metal is coming from, is what I think I really need to accomplish.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I was thinking C, but that's just me. We all want you driving your car again
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MavsAK
I drove a 2010 today. Auto L99. If for no other reason, to just get my V8 fix. Now, it was just a test drive, and I didn't want to pull a Jeff Gordon on the guy, (though I sense he wouldn't have objected, old hot rodder himself) but I wasn't terribly impressed. I feel like the A4 in my 98Z was more responsive to downshift than this thing was. It was a really nice 2SS though, 35K miles. Would make a good daily driver.

They also had an '03 C5 A4 sitting on the lot. Looked clean. If they don't hit my number on the SS, I just might try to low ball 'em on that one. lol

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 10-22-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

This saga has now come to a close. The car has been sold to a Forum member that has a fresh 383 in need of a home.

Extra special thanks to Chaos for his generous offer. Had my personal situation been a little different $$, I would certainly have taken you up on it.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

What are you getting next?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
What are you getting next?
Saw a listing for a 2012 SS Camaro six speed manual w/ 26K miles. I might check it out and see if they'll come down a tad on the price.

Not really impressed with the current selection of Vettes in my price range. There are several low mile C5's around, but IDK about another 10-14 y/o car, as it would be a daily and only. IDK about mid mile C6 for that matter. Probably find myself in the same situation eventually.

Or I just save up some more money, and see what I can get in terms of a garage when my lease is up, and get another C4, cash.

I simply do not know how long I can control my V8 addiction.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Good luck either way
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

So, I'm sittin here, thinking how badly I low balled myself. What if it was really something not all that bad, yada, yada.

Out of curiosity, I check C4's on the market and find these...and start thinking, so what's a couple of hundred a month anyway? I've already been paying the insurance for it. You know...start fresh...

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...23290/overview

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...47025/overview

This is why I suck at life sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To Sparkly oil

Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

So, I'm sittin here, thinking how badly I low balled myself. What if it was really something not all that bad, yada, yada.

Out of curiosity, I check C4's on the market and find these...and start thinking, so what's a couple of hundred a month anyway? I've already been paying the insurance for it. You know...start fresh...

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...23290/overview

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...47025/overview

This is why I suck at life sometimes.
I like the blue one.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:59 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

That couple hundred could be applied to an LSX instead!

I really like both cars...the blue one in particular is stunning.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Blue '96

Quick Reply: Sparkly oil