C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need to get my '88 DD ready

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need to get my '88 DD ready

I sold my ZO6 to buy a house, so the '88 vert will now take over DD duties. I have a couple of issues that I think I have the best solution for (from searching) but I want to just make one big order.

1. When I turn on my headlights I lose all interior light (dash, heating and air unit, and radio) and it does not come back on until I push the **** back in. It looks like I have a bad headlight switch.

2. Antenna does nothing - no noise and no movement. My plan is just to replace it - which I learned is not quite plug and play.

3. Radio is shot (one rear speaker works while making a horrible whine), but I am just going to scrap the whole thing and start over.

4. My top will not release on both sides unless someone else pulls up on it while I slide the release. I have tried WD40ing, but it still does not want to release. I am still a bit lost on this one.

Thanks for any input
Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
I sold my ZO6 to buy a house, so the '88 vert will now take over DD duties. I have a couple of issues that I think I have the best solution for (from searching) but I want to just make one big order.

1. When I turn on my headlights I lose all interior light (dash, heating and air unit, and radio) and it does not come back on until I push the **** back in. It looks like I have a bad headlight switch.

2. Antenna does nothing - no noise and no movement. My plan is just to replace it - which I learned is not quite plug and play.

3. Radio is shot (one rear speaker works while making a horrible whine), but I am just going to scrap the whole thing and start over.

4. My top will not release on both sides unless someone else pulls up on it while I slide the release. I have tried WD40ing, but it still does not want to release. I am still a bit lost on this one.

Thanks for any input

You should have kept the car. As Thomas Jefferson once said, "You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house."
Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

When I unpack my camera gear I will take a picture of the view from the back of the house. Though, your quote is correct.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rsparks64
You should have kept the car. As Thomas Jefferson once said, "You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house."
i prefer sleep in a house....and bicycling to work...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the radio and speakers in my 91. Tied the new wires to the old ones and just pulled. Took most of the day, but now all 4 speakers work and the sound is good.

If you have Bose and the speakers are OK, I do have the thingies that connect to the speakers and would be glad to send them to you. Don't know if they are good or not but the shipping can't be more than $10-15.

I also have an 88 and have the original Bose tape unit in my garage. Send me a PM and we may be able to work something out on the radio if you are interested.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

The headlight thing is probably not a switch problem. I'd say you have a ground issue.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
What happens if you turn the headlight **** with the headlights (or parking lights) on?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Thanks for any input [/QUOTE]

I would check the release cables under the cover. One or both of them may have stretched and may not be completely releasing. I think you can tighten them at each release point. If you are talking about the front of the top sticking to the header, try some silicone spray on the weatherstripping.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackDidley
The headlight thing is probably not a switch problem. I'd say you have a ground issue.
Is there a writeup on this?

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
What happens if you turn the headlight **** with the headlights (or parking lights) on?
Same thing - everything goes dark.

I also noticed while driving yesterday that if I rotate the headlight **** there is one place where all the illumination comes back on (very dim setting).
Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 AM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

Thanks for any input
I would check the release cables under the cover. One or both of them may have stretched and may not be completely releasing. I think you can tighten them at each release point. If you are talking about the front of the top sticking to the header, try some silicone spray on the weatherstripping.[/QUOTE]

I mean under the cover - I guess i need to tighten cables.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to get my '88 DD ready

Quick Reply: Need to get my '88 DD ready