Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hard to Start. But after 3 very strong cranks, it's fine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Pit Crew
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to Start. But after 3 very strong cranks, it's fine.

First time ,long time on this sight. I have a 91, L98 beautiful bright Red coupe. Starting her has gotten hard. It takes about 3 very strong cranks before it turns over. I've replaced the fuel filter, did a fuel pressure test and replaced the old worn battery. Injectors were also replaced about 15000 miles ago,or about 5 years.This issue just started after the long winter under the cover. I also put textron in the last fuel fill. Still running on it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

With the items you've replaced, I'd lean towards the coolant temperature sensor. If it's artificially sending elevated temperature readings to the ECM, the start fuel-enrichment can be less than needed for a quick crank. I've dealt with this several times, both C4 and C5.

I'm assuming that the throttle body is clean, your air filter is serviceable and your opti/plugs/wires are good. If that's the case, one other thing I'd (very remotely, BTW) think of would be the oil pressure sensor- If it doesn't send high enough reading on crank, the injectors won't fire, according to a master tech I talked to. So no personal experience on that one, but again, possible.

Quick Reply: Hard to Start. But after 3 very strong cranks, it's fine.