C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:01 PM
joey.k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam

should I put seafoam in my 1988 corvette before I store it outside for the winter??? thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 12:45 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://twoguysgarage.com/seafoam-tec...ea-foam-spray/
Old 10-07-2014, 02:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Depending on what you are trying to achieve. I just use Stabil which is much cheaper to stabilize the fuel. Obviously, I dump the Stabil in, drive it, fill up tank, drive home and shut down.

You definitely want the tank as full as possible to minimize condensation but you also want to make sure the fuel lines have stabilizer so the fuel there is stable too.

If you have stock multec injectors, dump them. If not, leave them and send them out for cleaning and testing every 3 or 4 years and be happy.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

If you are trying to clean the TB, take it out and do it. You cannot clean the IAC and the passages that way. Kinda why people like those cleaner in a can crap. Easy and makes you feel good. You need to do the work like taking the TB off every so often, take off the IAC, clean it, take off the IAC housing, clean that, spray off the passages. It is harder work than spraying crap into the intake but there it is.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If you are trying to clean the TB, take it out and do it. You cannot clean the IAC and the passages that way. Kinda why people like those cleaner in a can crap. Easy and makes you feel good. You need to do the work like taking the TB off every so often, take off the IAC, clean it, take off the IAC housing, clean that, spray off the passages. It is harder work than spraying crap into the intake but there it is.
That was to show the new Seafoam spray treatment. Not about cleaning the throttle body. Plus they used a C4 in the video.

Old way was putting Seafoam in brake booster line or PVC line. But people say you don't get Seafoam to all of the cylinders with that method. Seafoam has a new system that uses a spray with a straw that you slip in front of the throttle body so you can get Seafoam to ALL of the cylinders. Though may not hurt to also put some in the brake booster line as well to make sure the rear cylinders got it too in case the front cylinders were to get most of the Seafoam from the front. That is if one wanted to do the Seafoam treatment.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by samsonb
That was to show the new Seafoam spray treatment. Not about cleaning the throttle body. Plus they used a C4 in the video.

Old way was putting Seafoam in brake booster line or PVC line. But people say you don't get Seafoam to all of the cylinders with that method. Seafoam has a new system that uses a spray with a straw that you slip in front of the throttle body so you can get Seafoam to ALL of the cylinders. Though may not hurt to also put some in the brake booster line as well to make sure the rear cylinders got it too in case the front cylinders were to get most of the Seafoam from the front. That is if one wanted to do the Seafoam treatment.
They talk about using water but I never bother to clean the engine with that sort of thing. Pretty much my issue is I don't have trust in that sort of thing. I'd need to see a bunch of engines, have them stripped down before, have some run with and some without and measure again with a strip down.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a '83 Honda Nighthawk 650 from a neighbor that had a stuck ring and was on it's last leg. Did the Seafoam treatment as a last resort before parting it out and after fumigating the neighborhood the bike came back to life. I went on to put an uneventful 30,000 miles on that bike after that day.

Somehow that stuff can really attack carbon.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

If you're curious, it's naphtha, alcohol, and light oil. It does seem to do the trick in some cases.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Call me a skeptic but I I do wonder how it will work seeing as how the products are burned pretty quick in the chambers. I am wondering if running it a bit at WOT clears up the coking? Without any way to verify what it was before and how it is "fixed" after, it is going to be as reliable as my parents thinking prayer is the answer. Sometime, it seems to work, often, well....

Edit: I can see where if you mist it thru the intake, the solution can clean up the manifold. All possible because the oil sludge is being dissolved. As to the valve, I'm not certain if the baked on carbon, if anything can clean it especially in 1 treatment. Over an extended period, it would be harder to say.

Last edited by aklim; 10-08-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jv9999
it's naphtha, alcohol, and light oil.
Marvel Mystery Oil .. ?

Get notified of new replies

To seafoam

Quick Reply: seafoam