Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Corvette w/ Nash 4+3 New Clutch Won't Disengage?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Randyrogers87
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette w/ Nash 4+3 New Clutch Won't Disengage?!?!

My mechanic has been stuck on a trans issue on my 1985 Corvette for weeks now. A few weeks ago, my throw out bearing starting whining when I would depress the clutch. I had the car towed to the shop immediately. A new clutch kit was ordered and it was determined that my old throw out bearing had shattered. Also, my clutch itself was practically worn down to the bolts.

After assembling the transmission, my mechanic reported to me that my clutch would not disengage. He first inspected potential issues with the Master and Slave Cylinder and bled the system. Despite the fact that the pressure at the clutch pedal felt normal, the clutch still was not disengaging. To ensure the hydraulics were not faulty, the slave cylinder was removed and a pry bar was used to manually disengage the clutch. This tactic yielded no success.

When the mechanic began to disassemble the transmission, he reported to me that the only was to disengage the clutch was if the transmission was disassembled and he manually moved the clutch with his hand. However, upon reassembly; the clutch would not disengage via pry bar being inserted into the transmission or by the hydraulics.

It appears as if the issue lies within the throw out bearing or the pressure plate.

Sadly, my mechanic is completely stumped and has already removed the trans from the vehicle three times so far. His only thought on the matter now, is to reassemble the old clutch to see if it disengages.

Lastly, before the old clutch was replaced, it would disengage from the pedal. This problem only popped up after the mechanic removed the trans and replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.

CAR HISTORY NOTES:

The master and slave cylinders were replaced three times in the least year. * The last replacement was in May of 2014. The transmission (minus the Overdrive Unit) was replaced from the previous owners. The gearbox from the original transmission is in my possession. My mechanic stated that he ordered the part, based off of the number on the trans itself and re verified the part information with his vendor.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure if this would be of any help, but check out the article on the Doug Nash 4+3 over at the Corvette Action Center:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-unit-610.html

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette w/ Nash 4+3 New Clutch Won't Disengage?!?!