Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Salvage title-opinions please

Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Salvage title-opinions please

How much does a salvage title affect a cars value? Say you have a C4 Corvette that would typically sell for $12,000. If the car had a salvage title, what should you expect the discount to be to make the sale fair? Other than making it hard to sell later, what other disadvantages are there to buying a car with a salvage title?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Hideki
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My C4 is a salvage, was a super cheap Z51/J55. The issues you deal with are the reason why it was salvaged (accident/theft yadda yadda) I bought mine because it was cheap and I planned on modifying it, and ruining its value anyways. The problem is selling it later on, it's practically worthless from a collectors standpoint.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:02 AM
i2amanobody
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinion of salvage title vehicles. RUN away from any salvage titled vehicle. Salvage means that the vehicle was so badly damage for whatever reason, that the insurance company deemed it not worth fixing. ie the damage was way more than the value of the car.

If buying a salvage car already repaired, you have no way of knowing if it was fixed correctly and safely. Unless you are buying for the parts, again, stay away.

Car dealerships, in my area anyway, will NOT accept a salvage title vehicle as a trade in. Many financing institutions will not loan on such a vehicle. Also, you may or may not be able to get insurance coverage on it. (my insurance company will not insure salvage title vehicles)

A vehicle with a salvage title will only be worth pennies as compared to a clean title vehicle.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:14 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd only consider a salvage title car if I could speak directly with the shop that did the repairs first.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Yes! Better check with Hagerty first...I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Brenda, my first C4 was a salvage 93 polo green. Car always had a slight pull to the right. Annoyed me big time. Alignment shops told me the frame wasn't repaired correctly. Stay away from salvage cars, you won't regret it. And yes, it was tough to sell. Nonetheless, that car taught me a lot
Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

I had a polo green 1994. Great car but always overheated.

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Brenda, my first C4 was a salvage 93 polo green. Car always had a slight pull to the right. Annoy
ed me big time. Alignment shops told me the frame wasn't repaired correctly. Stay away from salvage cars, you won't regret it. And yes, it was tough to sell. Nonetheless, that car taught me a lot
Old 10-11-2014, 02:32 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Buy the salvage and turn it into a race car with a full cage
The following users liked this post:
sahhas (10-14-2023)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 AM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
Buy the salvage and turn it into a race car with a full cage
Now why didn't I think of that?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:21 AM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It loses about 20-30% of the value with a salvage title, at least in my area.

Originally Posted by i2amanobody
Here is my opinion of salvage title vehicles. RUN away from any salvage titled vehicle. Salvage means that the vehicle was so badly damage for whatever reason, that the insurance company deemed it not worth fixing. ie the damage was way more than the value of the car.

If buying a salvage car already repaired, you have no way of knowing if it was fixed correctly and safely. Unless you are buying for the parts, again, stay away.

Car dealerships, in my area anyway, will NOT accept a salvage title vehicle as a trade in. Many financing institutions will not loan on such a vehicle. Also, you may or may not be able to get insurance coverage on it. (my insurance company will not insure salvage title vehicles)

A vehicle with a salvage title will only be worth pennies as compared to a clean title vehicle.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Not necessarily. In many cases, they are salvaged simply because of a lack of replacement parts. Saw a thunderbird TC get salvaged for a hole in the nose cone, there was no way of repairing it and you can't find a replacement, so they total it and move on.

The biggest thing with insurance is to get the title rebuilt. In my state that is very simple. I am a used car dealer and I have no issues with a rebuilt salvage.
The following users liked this post:
sahhas (10-14-2023)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

like was said it deducts at least a 1/3 of the street value of it. Ive had good luck with them though. I bought my first vette a 92 as a salvage. It was a great car and my buddy is still driving it today. It was stolen and drove into a fire hydrant and had to have the front nose replaced. Stolen recoverys are salvage titles so it doesnt nessisarily mean that it was wrecked badly. I also have a jeep wrangler right now that has a salvage title. It was a slow roleover in the woods. Bent the windshield pillar and the role cage and tore up the top. All parts were replaced with new and its been a great vehicle so personaly im not a bit afraid of them. Some banks shy away from loaning money on them but my local credit union obviously doesnt.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:57 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Unless you get a super deal on the car, I would pass.. People always look at a salvage car as something way less desirable then a car with a normal title and never want to pay much for it.... Selling a car with a salvage title would have to be a nightmare because in most peoples eyes it's a damaged car.......WW
Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Selling salvage vehicles on a used car lot for close to clean title price is pretty easy. But trying to sell a muscle or collectors car is a nightmare. Only certain people come to look muscle/collector cars and they know exactly what they want and are very picky. Not the same as with people purchasing a regular daily driver. The cars that have sat the longest on the car lot is a 2003 Corvette 50th anniversary convertible with 16k miles, in brand new condition, salvage flood history. And a 1999 Mustang GT convertible with 70k miles, same thing.

We sold a 2009 Ford F150 Lariat crew cab 5 1/2" bed salvage flood history for $20,000.

Don't even get offers for the vette or mustang.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

There's a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Great price, but re-sale may be tough.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I would never buy a vehicle with a salvage title even at 50%off it's normal value unless it was going to be a race or track car.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Selling salvage vehicles on a used car lot for close to clean title price is pretty easy. But trying to sell a muscle or collectors car is a nightmare. Only certain people come to look muscle/collector cars and they know exactly what they want and are very picky. Not the same as with people purchasing a regular daily driver. The cars that have sat the longest on the car lot is a 2003 Corvette 50th anniversary convertible with 16k miles, in brand new condition, salvage flood history. And a 1999 Mustang GT convertible with 70k miles, same thing.

We sold a 2009 Ford F150 Lariat crew cab 5 1/2" bed salvage flood history for $20,000.

Don't even get offers for the vette or mustang.
There's considerable difference in classifications of "SALVAGE" -

Collision salvage I don't believe is an issue and I've bought many and repaired them. Drove them as long as I wanted and resold without difficulties.

FLOOD

Entirely different situation.

Buying a repaired/rebuilt salvage from someone you know and trust I don't believe should be an issue either. You just need to understand the consequences maybe at "resale". If the repair/rebuild is documented with snapshots and parts invoices it would be a major +.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My everyday drive was my daughters Galant which was totaled but she loved the car and I bought it back from the salvage company and against the advise of my body shop they rebuit it. The car drives and runs fine because there was no frame damage. Remember a old C4's book value is low so to total a early C4 wont take much damage. My Galant needed hood front fenders and and some patch up work. The car was about 6 years old with about $9,000 damage so the insurance company totalled it. I saw a early C4 that was totaled at the local gas station. it was a black convertable that was hit on the right left front. The left wheel and control arm was broken off, the fender , hood and header smashed. Probably about five or six thousand dollars damage. the paint on the car was no so hot and although I did not see the interior i am sure in was in need of repair. But if you could buy that car for $150.00 what my Galant cost me and did the body work yourself you could have a noce Corvette when you were done it you were willing to keep it. If you took photos you could probably sell it after repairs and get a decent price. Just because it a salvage car does not mean it was repaired wrong. That seems to be the key. how much damage and who did the work. I have been driving my totaled Galant for about 6 years and the AC is still ice cold and everything works fine. It even still looks good.

Get notified of new replies

To Salvage title-opinions please

Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,420 Likes on 2,790 Posts

If it was "worth" 12k, and it was then salvage, I would pay 2-4k for it at most. I'd use it as a race car.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 227 Likes on 159 Posts

Rebuilt does not bother me. Ive rebuilt several. Keep them for 10+ years and wear them out. Not something Id do otherwise. Could be hard to sell.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Rebuilt does not bother me. Ive rebuilt several. Keep them for 10+ years and wear them out. Not something Id do otherwise. Could be hard to sell.
Rebuilt does not bother me personally, as long as the reasons for and the subsequent repairs are documented. But buyer beware.

Recently one of my techs was diagnosing an air bag light on late model SUV, and discovered the seat belt retractors were tied to the seat frames, that the pyrotechnics in the buckles had deployed, and all of the SIR components (except the actual air bags) needed replacement. Quick check indicated the vehicle had been a total out of state. Customer confirmed salvage status, that it only was supposed to have had "minor" fender damage, indicated they got a great deal on the vehicle, they just wanted the air bag light off. Owners were shocked when they received the repair estimate, needless to say they declined repairs. Two months later, they are still hauling their children around in the SUV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salvage title-opinions please