C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I need help and you can make some money

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default I need help and you can make some money

I am looking for someone in the Austin Area, (Sun City) who would be willing to help me do some work on my stock 89 with only 48,000 miles. The car is in really good shape, but there are two things that I would like to fix. The intake is leaking oil and I need to replace intake gasket. I like to do the work myself, but I am afraid if i run into problem, I will be stuck with car in my gargage and no where to turn. I am willing to pay someone to show me how to do it in my garage, my tools, on their time schedule. I am retired and get do it at almost any time. I am easy to get along with and very willing to learn. I do have some mech experence, but it is very limited compared to most on this site.

If all goes well with the intake fix, and you are willing, i next want to change out diff, but the two jobs dont have to be connected to each other.

I have gone to corvette and shop and know what it will cost, so I am trying to save some money, learn how to do it, and give someone else a chance to make some cash by helping me out

If not, thanks for takeing the time to read this

Mike -
Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I real C4 guy enjoys doing these things and doesn't want to be payed.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I offered to pay only because I need some help, and I know if someone does help, I will be taking time away from them they could be using for family time. I could pay a shop, but I like to learn and I know the job is done right. Don't mean to offend anyone by offering to pay
Old 10-12-2014, 02:30 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
I offered to pay only because I need some help, and I know if someone does help, I will be taking time away from them they could be using for family time. I could pay a shop, but I like to learn and I know the job is done right. Don't mean to offend anyone by offering to pay
I think its a great idea mlm0. Heck, you may even get someone to help for just beer. You kinda need to do this b4 it turns to cool.. no fun being cold. I used to go over to my buddy house all the time and help him with his c-3 b4 he sold it. He too, didn't know a lot about the 'how tos". goodluck, have fun. be safe
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Post this in the regional section. There may be someone in your neighborhood more than willing to help.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

If you fly me over I will do it for free !!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
....I'll bet you would..Even a dealership would be cheaper.......WW
Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
You don't want to come to Texas, buncha weirdos here.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Mike, if I were in your area I'd help you (for free). As a stop gap.. have you snugged the intake bolts? You might be able to stop the leak just by doing that.

I'd like to know why.. but late 80s and early 90s GM cars all seem to have intake bolts that come loose. I've personally seen this on rwd2.8L/fwd2.8L, 3.1L, 5.0L, and now on my 95 LT1 Shoot the drivers side rear on my LT1 was not even finger tight!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I haven't tried that, but I will

Thanks for info
Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well that's a bummer, wish we were local. I love screwing up other peoples cars. Good luck finding someone.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:59 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I don't mind helping if you drive it down to Houston.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Mike, if I were in your area I'd help you (for free). As a stop gap.. have you snugged the intake bolts? You might be able to stop the leak just by doing that.

I'd like to know why.. but late 80s and early 90s GM cars all seem to have intake bolts that come loose. I've personally seen this on rwd2.8L/fwd2.8L, 3.1L, 5.0L, and now on my 95 LT1 Shoot the drivers side rear on my LT1 was not even finger tight!
Someone else used to recommend this whenever this question popped up and I thought yeah, that's going to work. My leak started last year and got so bad so fast that I had to put a pan under the car. It was real bad down the back of the block on the drivers side, dripping off the oil filter and coating the underneath to the rear wheels. On the passenger side, second bolt from the front was the problem. It was three full turns just to snug. I torqued to spec and not a drop since the beginning of the summer.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I don't mind helping if you drive it down to Houston.
Thank you so very much for your offer. Diving to Houston would not be a problem normally, buy I am taking care of my Dad at this current time, and I can not leave him a lone at this current time. I expect this to change in the near future, ( my sister taking over), and if it does, and you still are willing, I will contact you. Once again, thank you very much for your offer.

Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 04:12 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by TBSS/85vette
Someone else used to recommend this whenever this question popped up and I thought yeah, that's going to work. My leak started last year and got so bad so fast that I had to put a pan under the car. It was real bad down the back of the block on the drivers side, dripping off the oil filter and coating the underneath to the rear wheels. On the passenger side, second bolt from the front was the problem. It was three full turns just to snug. I torqued to spec and not a drop since the beginning of the summer.
I am going to give that a try. Thanks for the info

Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mlm0
Thank you so very much for your offer. Diving to Houston would not be a problem normally, buy I am taking care of my Dad at this current time, and I can not leave him a lone at this current time. I expect this to change in the near future, ( my sister taking over), and if it does, and you still are willing, I will contact you. Once again, thank you very much for your offer.

Mike

Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You don't want to come to Texas, buncha weirdos here.
Dont worry Im used to it, I think some of their cousins have immigrated to Australia !!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:16 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll help you out. You need to have a newer laptop that has a camera and you need to get a Skype account. Have been doing this for a couple of yrs with a friend in cal, helped him blueprint his engine that way. Also my uncle in Greece with his 69 GTS Dart & 85 Vett
Got the laptop? Intake is do-a-ble Rear pig, not sure

Get notified of new replies

To I need help and you can make some money

Quick Reply: I need help and you can make some money