C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why is it we like the C4 so much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
When the C4 1st came out I was a die hard C3 fan, looked at the 84's said I would never own one. Can't say i still think that way
I felt the same way.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
murraybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a little hard to put my finger on it, but it is just more fun to drive. I love the go-kart feel and handling. Newer Vettes are more like a sedan in the ride and feel. The convertible is fun. Open air riding is hard to beat. All my kids tell me to NOT ever sell it.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM
ViperC4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 1994 corvette has been my dream machine for as long as i can remember. This is my second. There is just something about the handling, the sleek exterior, and like many others i love the cockpit feel. It truly is a grown kids go-kart. Its funny seeing it in my garage next to the wife's impala....Its way smaller lol.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After buying mine, I told my younger son that the ride home was worth the price! Kind of weird circumstances, but the only car I ever bought without even sitting in it. My wife even approved as soon as we drove up and saw it. She actually suggested a 4-speed for therapy but working on it was my physical therapy after two shoulder surgeries. The lovely bride of over 40 years has never complained about the money or time I spend on it.... and she almost always wants to go for a ride in it when I take it for a drive. Of course, the good value and relative economy of operating it are nice, too.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

The C4 was introduced when I was in my mid 20's, first child on the way and working at my second GM dealership. The first dealership I started out in had to close during the recession of the early 80's, it was there I began to catch the Corvette addiction, getting the opportunity to drive new C3's.

I was in total awe when the first C4's were delivered to the dealership, they were so radically different. When I finally had the opportunity to drive a few, I couldn't believe how much better they handled, etc. I was hooked.

Fast forward about 25 years, 3 kids raised and graduated from college. I was ready to fulfill another dream. I thought long and hard about what I wanted my first Corvette to be. As much as I loved the looks of the C3, I decided I HAD to have an early C4 as I thought back. It is the feel of the car and how it performs, even 30 years later. I am still hooked.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• They are cheap and lets me afford lots of other toys
  • They are easy to work on
  • No bodywork to rust
  • They have unlimited modification potential
  • Parts are available locally and online
  • They were built with good components for the most part
Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM
RIPJWB
Advanced

Originally Posted by vl5150
  • They are cheap and lets me afford lots of other toys
  • They are easy to work on
  • No bodywork to rust
  • They have unlimited modification potential
  • Parts are available locally and online
  • They were built with good components for the most part

It is great the C4 and C3 are cheap. An average family guy can set aside a few bucks and have a great hobby car, without feeling like he is being selfish and draining money from the household budget. That is the beauty of the Corvette hobby. There is something for almost everybody.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:19 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Short skirts and long legs.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM
1lndonr
Intermediate

In the '60's I always was lusting over a C-2, when the C-3's came out I no longer wanted a corvette. When the C-4 appeared the corvette was back. Loved the lines, the sound, the power, the wide tires, all of it. Just had to wait until they became inexpensive. I love my '90!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Owned since 1985, I still enjoy the car, despite the lump$ and bump$ of modification$.

The lines are simple and elegant while being very functional. The suspension delivers 95% of the newer designs, per a local suspension engineer. No rubber in mine and Bilstein-rebuilt Z51 shocks give a very nice ride while 1G cornering is on tap.

Add Chevy reliability and pricing, even If some C4 items are becoming dear and you have the heartbeat of American rodding. All the new techno-crap becomes just that, in time and has little to do with driving the car.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

What's not to like about it?

For me though, the thing that sealed the deal was the clamshell hood. No matter the reason I open it, major, minor, cleaning, I always get a cool sensation every time I lift it.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car was a used 6 cylinder '67 Camaro. I always liked the earlier Corvettes, but couldn't afford them at the time. The C-4's came along well after I was married and had three kids not yet into their teens (think mini-van for hauling them and their friends around).

I had mostly only seen the C-4's in pictures and don't remember them doing all that much for me at the time.

I retired a couple years ago and was looking for some kind of automotive project. My wife saw a 'friend of a friend' post on FB for someone who had to sell 'their baby' because of medical bills. She said I should go look at it. Sat on it for a week or two, then decided why not spend a few buck on gas to take a look.

Seeing it in person vs. pictures was...! I don't know if my taste has changed that much, but pictures just don't seem to do justice to how great the cars look when you're standing next to one.

Hearing the exhaust note when it started was...! And the torque from the L98 during the test drive was...the reason it's now in my garage.

It has it's issues and needs a lot of TLC, but even my wife, who normally considers cars to be like a major appliance, has commented several times how nice she thinks it looks.

As someone else commented, it's kind of the ultimate combination of sports car/muscle car. And I have also made the comment to people that you don't drive it, you wear it!

Looking forward to working on it!

Last edited by Pyro4117; 10-18-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Left off signature
Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 AM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Truly it is a genetic predisposition that some of us have in our DNA.

Some of us like blondes, some like brunettes, others like redheads.

Various traits such as legs, bust, etc. make our hearts race.

The same can be said about automobiles. Certain characteristics about a particular car make the heart skip a beat.

I'd proudly park my '93 40th Edition beside a brand new '15 any day of the week, and gladly drive away again in mine.....
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 AM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it's about aesthetics. It's the way my brain is wired and also a product of my profession... Graphic Design. I have trouble looking at objects, structures, etc., without analyzing it's balance, composition and overall design. The C4 to me just works so well visually... from all angles. In it's stock form, like most American cars, I do think it suffers from ride height issues and sh!tty wheel designs. Nothing that can't be dialed in with some lowering and the right wheel choice. My favorite Corvette... but I still love them all.

Stay Frosty!
Stephen

Last edited by smdorsey; 10-20-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in college when they came out, 11 years out of high school, 2 years out of the Army, 2 kids at home. GM brought an '85 to the campus during their recruiting visit, we got to crawl around it. I can't claim to be a Y-body nerd, but it was a departure from the borrowing from the rest of the line to put a "sports car" together as previous generations seemed to be. I always liked the look of them, too.

While the 3rd kid hasn't finished college yet, he's pretty much on his own (having gotten married and moving out 3 months ago), so I finally gave in to my dream of having one. My original intent was to modify it into my dream car, but lately I've been thinking more of just returning it to its original glory (with perhaps a few "personalizing" items...).
Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll never forget the 84 Corvette commercial...You've Never Seen Anything Like This Before!! It was so 80s and I loved it. Always said I wanted one. Was working for Chevy dealership as a salesman and took an 86 Coupe in trade for an 88 35th Anniv car. Told the lawyer I sold it to that I'm getting one of these one day. Turned out I did 13 years later in 2001. The style, climbing in the car as mentioned you wear it, the disco dash ( so 80s again), clamshell, big wheels and tires and an amazing suspension that still makes the car a threat on auto cross. The value in these cars are amazing. They have to be at bottom in the pricing curve.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll be honest, I love EVERY corvette. Every single year and model, but the C4 to me is the best corvette to start your corvette journey with, and that's coming from someone who hasn't owned one yet. I am in the process of purchasing a C4. I researched all the models, looked at some 70s c3s some early c5s and even c6s (love the c6s as well), but the C4 right now is the best bang for your buck, it's always going to be a head turner, it's got modest but enough horsepower and performance for a rookie vette owner, and most of all, it's still a CORVETTE whether you pay 1500 for it or 15000! Also the two tones stopped after c4 which and I'd really like to see a c5 c6 or c7 two tone the way they did it on the c3s and c4s. Can't wait to own one, test drove a few and fell in love.

Quick Reply: Why is it we like the C4 so much?