My obsession with technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install

Originally Posted by 91 black convert
I like that radio. How easy was this to instal?
I liked it too so I'm in the middle of the install. It's pretty straight forward just have to remove the passenger seat, console and dash trim. I've decided to replace speakers as well since I have 2 blown amps. If you go this route, there's a newer model that does blue tooth for your phone. $10 more but worth it.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by deptcruser
I liked it too so I'm in the middle of the install. It's pretty straight forward just have to remove the passenger seat, console and dash trim. I've decided to replace speakers as well since I have 2 blown amps. If you go this route, there's a newer model that does blue tooth for your phone. $10 more but worth it.
Thanks for the prompt response. No cutting of any stock brackets or anything like that? Does it come with a din adapter and cable adapter? Or are they not necessary?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM
ViperC4
Racer

you will need to buy adapters for any aftermarket you do.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Default Google

Originally Posted by 91 black convert
Thanks for the prompt response. No cutting of any stock brackets or anything like that? Does it come with a din adapter and cable adapter? Or are they not necessary?
Google c4 stereo upgrade and check the stereo upgrade sticky I'n general discussion for detail pictures. You have to cut the rear facia of the stereo hole for an extra quarter inch. Dremel will do it. Best buy and crutch field both sell the unit, cable adapter and mounting brackets. You need to decide if your doing speakers before buying cables. I'm a little stuck as to where the power comes from. Is it the harness to the radio or from the receiver behind the seat. I'll post when I figure it out with the volt meter.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by deptcruser
Google c4 stereo upgrade and check the stereo upgrade sticky I'n general discussion for detail pictures. You have to cut the rear facia of the stereo hole for an extra quarter inch. Dremel will do it. Best buy and crutch field both sell the unit, cable adapter and mounting brackets. You need to decide if your doing speakers before buying cables. I'm a little stuck as to where the power comes from. Is it the harness to the radio or from the receiver behind the seat. I'll post when I figure it out with the volt meter.
Thanks, again.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Last winter a real technical and electrically capable guy named Jeff who is a friend of mine highlighted his Nexus 7 install into his 90 ZR-1. The winter before, he also had upgraded his 90 interior to the 94-96 interior as well as you can also see in this thread. He also made me a LED CMHSL for my ride many years ago. He did ALL the work himself from bezel modification to the installation. I think it’s pretty slick and if you enjoy projects like this go for it. IMHO it came out very well. Here is an image of the project and the thread is below the image. GC

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=tablet
Thanks GC.. I just found this thread

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
I agree. he also highlights in the thread everything it can do. Not a project for the meek but pretty impressive none the less. No reason a C4 cant be in step with some of todays technologies just like Kip lol. GC
I also have a longer thread I keep active here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-1990-c4.html

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I seriously considered doing this in my old C6, and then again when I got my C4. I thought it would be really awesome to have my lap timing app right in the car. But I decided against it because you can't currently use a tablet as a Bluetooth handsfree device, which is stupid. and I didn't want to have to add an extra BT handsfree device to make that work.

Still, it's the future. I may do one someday still.
Yeah That is what I am finding.. have a nice install but still need a headset for hands free.

As GC mentioned, I had the App Radio 2 before, i am looking to go back to it, using an Android Stick PC for all the apps and then having my phone connected for handsfree.. I am still working that piece of it out..

That nexus 7 is really shoehorned in there, if the screen had less bazel it would fit nice..

Do I like the install Yes, am I happy with it? not completely.. like with everything there are issues

Quick Reply: My obsession with technology