C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 warms up then runs bad until it stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
aquajer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 warms up then runs bad until it stalls

Have a 89, the car sits mostly, went to do the Crusin the coast in Mississippi this year and car started acting bad once it warmed up, replaced injectors, cap, rotor, fuel pump. Also, before the car warms up if you push the gas peddle to the floor, the car will surge up and down, the gas pressure in the tank is very high, if I take the cap off quickly the engine will die.

Any suggestions

Jerry
Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Unplug the MAF and see if it runs. My 89 IROC was acting just like that with a bad MAF.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by aquajer
Have a 89, the car sits mostly, went to do the Crusin the coast in Mississippi this year and car started acting bad once it warmed up, replaced injectors, cap, rotor, fuel pump. Also, before the car warms up if you push the gas peddle to the floor, the car will surge up and down, the gas pressure in the tank is very high, if I take the cap off quickly the engine will die.

Any suggestions

Jerry
Sounds like a sensor which only shows up in closed loop operation.

Get it scanned, refer to the FSM, and don't "shotgun" the problem. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of money, become frustrated, and you may still be "in the dark" with not only the original issue, but perhaps a new wrinkle stemming from a replacement part. (BTDT!) Don't have an FSM? Make it a priority, sez me. But, as I said, get it scanned.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 warms up then runs bad until it stalls

Quick Reply: 1989 warms up then runs bad until it stalls