Needed to vent a little

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by scooter mcfly
Wanted to let you know I checked out the Melrose headers and have decided to go with them. Going to order their entire smoothflow system in fact. Going to email them a few questions first. Thanks for the tip!
I'm sorry to hear chaos is having so much trouble, as I said mine darn near installed themselves. Let me know how your install goes.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Wanted to let you know I checked out the Melrose headers and have decided to go with them. Going to order their entire smoothflow system in fact. Going to email them a few questions first. Thanks for the tip!
No that I have calmed down I love the way they look. It wouldn't have complained had they had the 02s where thy were needed. In other words go for it.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:16 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

no x pipe? luck..windshield wiper mortor just broke..replaced it about 15 months ago..grrr.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:21 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
No that I have calmed down I love the way they look. It wouldn't have complained had they had the 02s where thy were needed. In other words go for it.
Was the wire too short to reach? What year is your car?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I'm sorry to hear chaos is having so much trouble, as I said mine darn near installed themselves. Let me know how your install goes.

My goodness! How do you keep that under carriage so clean? The engine looks great with the headers on. You can see it! Means I'll have to clean that too. Geez. Does the alternator on the 85 bolt to the manifold? Any issues with it attaching to the headers?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
no x pipe? luck..windshield wiper mortor just broke..replaced it about 15 months ago..grrr.
I just use the truck when it rains ; which is thankfully infrequent out here. That is something I simply do not wish to deal with.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

My goodness! How do you keep that under carriage so clean? The engine looks great with the headers on. You can see it! Means I'll have to clean that too. Geez. Does the alternator on the 85 bolt to the manifold? Any issues with it attaching to the headers?
I have personally cleaned every inch of that bottom side with my arms, shirt sleeves and whatever else comes in contact with it. Your alt. bolts to the front of the head, it does have a bracket that bolts to the front bolt on the header flange but I tossed it years ago with no ill effects. There is another tube style bracket that bolts to the header flange at the 3rd bolt if I recall, that one handles any support that is needed.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:36 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default dude this is awesome

I thought I had it bad wrestling with my frikken ac compressor. you crack me up and put a smile on my face.

Well, day two. Spent the entire day trying to break loose the two bolts on the bracket in front of the cat. Trying I say, because they're still there. Frozen in time. Threw everything at it except a nuclear weapon. All this to change a $35 cable. I'm beginning to believe there is a demon in my car trying to steal my soul... or my sanity. Where is Max Von Sydow when you need him.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I thought I had it bad wrestling with my frikken ac compressor. you crack me up and put a smile on my face.
I would rather go back under my car and wipe it down again 10 times over working on the a/c compressor, especially that damn bolt under the pulley.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:31 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

HA! I had to do the AC compressor a month ago. Had to replace the water pump. And I'm probably going to have to do it again to remove the exhaust manifold. Definitely going to be tool shopping. FSM forgot to mention that hidden bolt on the bottom. Now that I know what's involved, should be a snap. Still have to figure out how I'm gonna thread th TV cable down through the mess of pipes, parts, and poo poo that is my engine bay. Any ideas out there?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Was the wire too short to reach? What year is your car?
I have a 91 with an LS in it. The headers I bought are made for LS swap C4s.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/84-96...-swap-headers/

LS requires at least 2 O2s. They had one and it was pointed right at the trans. Not what you would expect from $900 headers.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Well, was able to snake the new cable through. Had to remove the brake vacuum line off the manifold. got the old cable off. It's a 10mm bolt. then proceeded to spend the next HOUR trying to get the new cable to hook onto the clip inside the transmission. There is NO room to see and work at the same time. Only one hand will fit. And transmission fluid is all over! I think I threw everything in the garage, except the car, out into the street! Typical of everything, what should be difficult goes easily, and what SHOULD be easy...
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Woo Hoo! It's on. What a job! I don't NEVER want to have to do that again. In the mean time...
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM
cessnaguy1965
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOW I can say, congratulate yourself on getting it done!!

Enjoy the next few weeks scraping the scabs off of your fore arms....Battle scars build character.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Next up is the exhaust. Since it's off the car already I figured why not replace it. So I went and ordered the Melrose complete header/exhaust system. $1386 with shipping. Includes ceramic coating and cat option. Can't wait to see what's going to go wrong with this.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

I have a 91 with an LS in it. The headers I bought are made for LS swap C4s.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/84-96...-swap-headers/

LS requires at least 2 O2s. They had one and it was pointed right at the trans. Not what you would expect from $900 headers.
See, this is what I'm talking about. Nothing goes the way it's SUPPOSED to go. There is always something to test your patience . It just aint fair I tell ya!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Next up is the exhaust. Since it's off the car already I figured why not replace it. So I went and ordered the Melrose complete header/exhaust system. $1386 with shipping. Includes ceramic coating and cat option. Can't wait to see what's going to go wrong with this.
Hopefully, nothing goes wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Needed to vent a little

Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

A 2hr job has turned into a battle.
Umm, I find that's the first three rules of DIY!

One of the best uses for a digital camera is shooting pics to know how things get reassembled!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:43 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Umm, I find that's the first three rules of DIY!

One of the best uses for a digital camera is shooting pics to know how things get reassembled!
LOL I know how to work on a car but that is always a good Idea. Taking pictures of the old manifold are not going to magically move a brace add O2 bungs ETC..

I didn't have to do any of this to put on my $300 Headman elites.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-videos.html

Last edited by ch@0s; 10-28-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

I'm going to try and upload some pics showing all my aggravation. When the exhaust system comes, I'll start a new thread to document my progress. Those of you who did install the Melrose, I imagine you had to remove the starter. Did you go with a mini? How's the fit?

Quick Reply: Needed to vent a little