C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Needed to vent a little

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:21 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Needed to vent a little

Needed to change the throttle valve cable on my 87. So, with part in hand, out comes the FSM and boy does it look easy. That right there should have had me suspicious. Disconnect at throttle lever. Lift car. Disconnect on transmission. Reconnect. Piece of cake. Until I actually got under the car. Someone put an exhaust pipe right where I need to be. I mean, right there! So, once again I reach for my FSM and proceed to whack myself over the head with it a few dozen times. Good thing its a softcover.

Thanks for listening C4 fam. I feel better.
Phil
Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 AM
cessnaguy1965
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Hear Ya!!

I feel your pain. Last spring I had to change out the master and slave cylinders on my 94 Coupe. After finally getting the car up high enough and secured on jack stands to actually fit my metric ton body under it, the slave cylinder was in plain view RIGHT ABOVE THE EXHAUST PIPE!! It was a delicate balance of getting the hose tight enough to bleed and not leak while also positioning that same hose in just the right place to get it to bolt up to the transmission. Oh, and did I mention the exhaust?? The other end was just as fun. Attaching the rod from the master cylinder to the clutch pedal with that funky clip that has to be spread open to slip over the pin. I got mighty personal with the interior on the drivers side to get that one done. Thankfully the local G.M. dealer still has stock on that clip, and I bought two of them after losing the first one. Still don't know where it went. But after all of the headache and a fresh oil change it is a great feeling to know you did the job yourself. Congratulate yourself for getting it done.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:07 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Oh, I'm far from done. I'll be dropping the exhaust tomorrow. Not really upset about it since I was going to be replacing it. Just wasn't planning on doing it until Dec. But since I have to take it off, might as well do it now. Leaning towards TPiS's system. Am willing to hear any and all opinions though. Oh yeah, I still have to figure out how I'm going to thread the cable through the mess of cables and hoses.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:17 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter mcfly
Oh, I'm far from done. I'll be dropping the exhaust tomorrow. Not really upset about it since I was going to be replacing it. Just wasn't planning on doing it until Dec. But since I have to take it off, might as well do it now. Leaning towards TPiS's system. Am willing to hear any and all opinions though. Oh yeah, I still have to figure out how I'm going to thread the cable through the mess of cables and hoses.
I had to drop the exhaust, c-beam, drive shaft, and remove the transmission three times on my '96 when I did my clutch and flywheel. It's really not that hard, at least on mine.

But yes, you have to watch that FSM. It will often say, remove x, see chapter y. Then to remove x, you have to remove y, and y always requires a special tool you don't have. lol

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 10-18-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Oh, I'm far from done. I'll be dropping the exhaust tomorrow. Not really upset about it since I was going to be replacing it. Just wasn't planning on doing it until Dec. But since I have to take it off, might as well do it now. Leaning towards TPiS's system. Am willing to hear any and all opinions though.
Don't forget Melrose, I put their headers and complete stainless system on my '85 and I have never installed a more well made set of pipes, they almost installed themselves. Not to take a thing away from TPIS, I'm sure they are great too but I'm not offering an opinion, just hands on, been there, done that fact.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Well, day two. Spent the entire day trying to break loose the two bolts on the bracket in front of the cat. Trying I say, because they're still there. Frozen in time. Threw everything at it except a nuclear weapon. All this to change a $35 cable. I'm beginning to believe there is a demon in my car trying to steal my soul... or my sanity. Where is Max Von Sydow when you need him.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I ended up having to grind them off, no force known to man will move them and they won't break.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:52 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

lots of liquid wrench, let it soak for a day. Go at it with a breaker bar and a rubber mallet. You can win that fight, never, never give up.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Anytime I have a stuck bolt I pull out the torch.. Heat will break things loose when nothing else wlll work...But with the luck your having, the torch will ignite the liquid wrench you sprayed on the bolt and you will burn the car up.....Maybe you had better just grind them off.. It's safer......WW
Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by WW7
Anytime I have a stuck bolt I pull out the torch.. Heat will break things loose when nothing else wlll work.....Maybe you had better just grind them off.. It's safer......WW
There is one very good reason for living in kali. (politicks not included)

No rust
Old 10-19-2014, 01:11 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
There is one very good reason for living in kali. (politicks not included)

No rust
No rust? What, have they put a ban on rust.....I know I'm geographically challenged, but isn't California near the ocean??.WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Well, they've been soaking all night in PB blaster. Gonna have some breakfast, head out to the garage, take a deep breath(exhale), and give it one more try. Then out comes the grinder.

And I just know this isn't over. Question is, what's going to happen next? I just know something else is not going to go the way it should. Never does.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:33 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Well, they've been soaking all night in PB blaster. Gonna have some breakfast, head out to the garage, take a deep breath(exhale), and give it one more try. Then out comes the grinder.

And I just know this isn't over. Question is, what's going to happen next? I just know something else is not going to go the way it should. Never does.
Scooter, If you have, or can get your hands on a "Impact Wrench" that may be your best bet..These things are great at breaking bolts loose...The only thing better is the torch ( but like I said above) the way your luck is going, you would melt the car down.......WW
Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Don't forget Melrose, I put their headers and complete stainless system on my '85 and I have never installed a more well made set of pipes, they almost installed themselves. Not to take a thing away from TPIS, I'm sure they are great too but I'm not offering an opinion, just hands on, been there, done that fact.
I am not happy with melrose right now. My headers came with no exhaust bungs had to grind on the frame and bolts that hit. I also had to have 6 hands to put the starter back in while holding the header in place and doing the jig. A 2hr job has turned into a battle.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:18 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by WW7
Scooter, If you have, or can get your hands on a "Impact Wrench" that may be your best bet..These things are great at breaking bolts loose...The only thing better is the torch ( but like I said above) the way your luck is going, you would melt the car down.......WW
Tried the impact wrench. First the small one, then the BIG one. No luck. Torch. Heated that sucker till it smoked. And like you said, don't want to light up the car. I'm just gonna have to cut/grind those bolts off I'm afraid.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I am not happy with melrose right now. My headers came with no exhaust bungs had to grind on the frame and bolts that hit. I also had to have 6 hands to put the starter back in while holding the header in place and doing the jig. A 2hr job has turned into a battle.
Have you ever noticed how everyone is always busy doing something when you need a couple of extra hands to work on the car? "Can't help you today, I'm counting grass blades in my yard. Think I lost a few."
Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Well, it's off. Holy sh...cow! What a job. Missed Talladega too. Luckily I recorded it. Definitely easier with two people...and a lift. Had to grind those bolts off. THEN the stud on the right side wouldn't come out. No head on the bolt, but it wouldn't come out. Had to put a large socket on top of the bolt (from above) then get a c-clamp and press it out. Front of the exhaust came out fairly easily. I say fairly because...well, you know. Nothing is easy. Now I have to detach the connector holding the TV cable. Needless to say, after the past few days, I AM TERRIFIED

Get notified of new replies

To Needed to vent a little

Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by WW7
..I know I'm geographically challenged, but isn't California near the ocean??.WW
We let the libs drive their prius's in the ocean.
The rest stay a bit more inland
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
We let the libs drive their prius's in the ocean.The rest stay a bit more inland
Sounds like a good plan........WW
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Wanted to let you know I checked out the Melrose headers and have decided to go with them. Going to order their entire smoothflow system in fact. Going to email them a few questions first. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Needed to vent a little