Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Just went online a received a quote from NCM, as my policy is up for renewal at the end of October.

I was quoted an ANNUAL rate for (2) Corvettes, a 1996 Collector Edition Coupe and a 2004 Coupe that is less than I was paying for 6 months with another company!

Need to call them to confirm the coverage and deductibles, but to me NCM seems to be the most viable option for me at this time.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:36 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca

Stated Value says that the insurance company will pay "Up To" the Stated Amount. If you read in between the lines you have honestly no real protection at all. You are paying a premium based upon a certain amount, but have to prove that the car is really worth that amount at the time of the loss. You will be hit with depreciation.

We, too, have Unlimited Mileage. Often times we can fit someone into a mileage plan. We typically sell the following mileage plans 1,000, 3,000 or 6,000 miles per year. This includes trip interruption coverage, $2,000 in spare parts coverage, etc. .
I just got off the phone with my Erie insurance agent about what you just posted , and she said if my car is totaled I would get $14,000 paid to me.( Period) and that the value of my car will not change unless I call and change it...In other words it will stay at $14,000 with no depreciation as long as I pay for it to be at $14,000...

When I emailed you the end of last year you told me that the highest mileage you had on your policies was 6000 miles, and if I needed more miles then that I would have to find another company...Now your saying you have unlimited mileage??? Has something in your company changed or is your maximum mileage still 6000 miles...WW
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by WW7
I just got off the phone with my Erie insurance agent about what you just posted , and she said if my car is totaled I would get $14,000 paid to me.( Period) and that the value of my car will not change unless I call and change it...In other words it will stay at $14,000 with no depreciation as long as I pay for it to be at $14,000...
What is the verbiage in writing?

When I emailed you the end of last year you told me that the highest mileage you had on your policies was 6000 miles, and if I needed more miles then that I would have to find another company...Now your saying you have unlimited mileage??? Has something in your company changed or is your maximum mileage still 6000 miles...WW
We have been given a lot more flexibility within the last 9 months. We approve the Unlimited Mileage on a case by case basis, and not everyone qualifies. If we feel like the customer interprets Unlimited Mileage for Unlimited Usage then we typically will not write it. We attempt to limit the exposure as much as possible.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

What is the verbiage in writing? .
I will have to let you know on how it's written, I haven't recieved my policy yet...I just signed up on Friday...I do know the guy from the company came out and shot pictures of my car today.

We have been given a lot more flexibility within the last 9 months. We approve the Unlimited Mileage on a case by case basis, and not everyone qualifies. If we feel like the customer interprets Unlimited Mileage for Unlimited Usage then we typically will not write it. We attempt to limit the exposure as much as possible.
Well, then you can't really claim unlimited mileage, unless everyone has access to it...When we see it listed on your site as an option, then you can say you have unlimited mileage....WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-21-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by WW7
I will have to let you know on how it's written, I haven't recieved my policy yet...I just sighed up on Friday...I do know the guy from the company came out and shot pictures of my car today.
Sounds great, let us know...

Well, then you can't really claim unlimited mileage, unless everyone has access to it...When we see it listed on your site as an option, then you can say you have unlimited mileage....WW
Oh I disagree. Not everyone qualifies for the low APR rates that are thrown around all the time either. It all has to go through an underwriting review. On our website we list 1,000, 3,000 and 6,000 miles per year. The quote tool does offer the Unlimited plan, and we honor that when it works for both the customer and we feel like the customer doesn't take advantage of it.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Sounds great, let us know...

Oh I disagree. Not everyone qualifies for the low APR rates that are thrown around all the time either. It all has to go through an underwriting review. On our website we list 1,000, 3,000 and 6,000 miles per year. The quote tool does offer the Unlimited plan, and we honor that when it works for both the customer and we feel like the customer doesn't take advantage of it.
Well , Im not going to argue the point , but if only certain people can get it, then it's not really available to the public as far as most are concerned...There are a few companys that offer unllmited mileage, and you don't have to jump through hoops to get it . All you have to do is pay your money to get it.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-20-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Adam, Let me just say that NCM insurance is a great option for some people , and I do think support for the NCM is important...But I tried 2 times to get insurance with you, and both times I found things that didn't work for me. ...Mileage limitation was one of them ..NCM is a good company , but it's not the only company... I started this thread to let people know that some of the other insurance companys are changing, and will now insure our older cars at reasonable rates.....This thread was not a challenge of any kind...I just wanted to put this out there so people could see that they could now get decent insurance for there classic cars, and wrap it into there policys with there "Home owners" and "daily driver" insurance........WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-20-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No worries at all! Thanks for the clarification.....We understand that we are not for everyone.....Life is full of choices, that's what makes this world great!

Adam
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I like the "agreed upon" value I have with Grundy. It take all of the guess work out of it if something happens. In addition they have inflation riders for the annual coverage for the vehicle- in other words $14,000 won't be the same in five years as it is now.....
Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just switched my DD ins out from Safeco to State Farm.
Way more coverage 0/100 deductible and am saving almost $50 a mo

Just signed with Adam Boca for my Camino cant beat the coverage for the money and have the option to drive it in to work if there was just no other way there (rather miss than drive it in)Actually got it insured where I dont feel at risk driving it without getting cornholed
Only driven it 200 mi in 3 yrs so dont need a lot of mileage allowances

In fact he looked over my DD policy and informed me how underinsured I was with the DD (even with full coverage)..I can be ignorant with some things. Phone calls emails returned promptly and took the time to explain all the little stuff/options that counts for a lot w/me.

Thumbs up to Adam.

Last edited by cv67; 10-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

I have usaa....they say they have collector's car insurance...mine is insured normally but i'm going to check their's out.....got mine in the central highlands 1967
Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I've talked to a few of the discount insurance carriers and was honest.

This last summer, I put a little over 2000 miles on my C4. Perfect driving record. I have another car, but I only drive the Vette in the summer and yes, I drive it to the store, it's supposed to be driven. I am retired, so I don't drive to work.

None of the "classic" insurers will cover me because it's considered a daily driver for taking it to the store...
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Brewsky

This last summer, I put a little over 2000 miles on my C4. Perfect driving record. I have another car, but I only drive the Vette in the summer and yes, I drive it to the store, it's supposed to be driven. I am retired, so I don't drive to work.

None of the "classic" insurers will cover me because it's considered a daily driver for taking it to the store...
That is a common thread among "classic" car insurers. If you have two drivers in the home and only one other car then often the "classic" is considered a daily driver. I've accepted those restrictions as both my wife and I have daily drivers. With NCM the restriction is the same. However, I cannot run errands. Going to the store is an errand. But I can take my vette to work no more than twice a week.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Brewsky

So, let me get this right. If I had "classic car" insurance and was out for a drive, and decided to stop for a soda or a pack of cigs, what would happen if something happened to the car during the stop and I needed to place a claim? Since I would have been at a store when the incident happened, couldn't the insurance company claim that I was running an errand and not cover the damages?

BTW, I have regular insurance though the "Lizard", and it's pretty much $500 ded full coverage (minus rental) daily driver for $462 every 6 months. And it's already paid for itself when my lexan targa top came apart riding down the road (no-fault claim, $968 check)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
So, let me get this right. If I had "classic car" insurance and was out for a drive, and decided to stop for a soda or a pack of cigs, what would happen if something happened to the car during the stop and I needed to place a claim? Since I would have been at a store when the incident happened, couldn't the insurance company claim that I was running an errand and not cover the damages?
That's EXACTLY what NCM told me when I was denied. I use my C4, as tbirdsps precisely put it, to run any errand around town.

Far too much grief and aggravation IMO getting into a pissing match with any insurance company over a claim...YMMV.

I put my winter ride in storage over the summer and drop all coverage except Comp, light up full coverage on the C4 (from Comp), and then drive it in the spring, summer and fall. At the end of the year, it works out to be the same as if I only insured one car.

No knock on the "Classic" Insurance Company, just a heads up to the unsuspecting.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've looked into many of the Specialty Ins company's over the years and found that although many have unlimited mileage ask them about coverage on trips of leaving the car in a motel parking lot overnight, most will say not covered. I even have a home in Fla. that has no enclosed parking and was told would not cover. So read the policy very well if you enjoy driving on trips or out of town shows.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally

BTW, I have regular insurance though the "Lizard", and it's pretty much $500 ded full coverage (minus rental) daily driver for $462 every 6 months. And it's already paid for itself when my lexan targa top came apart riding down the road (no-fault claim, $968 check)
If you are coming back from a scenic cruise, car show, club event, etc then you are 100% fine to quickly swing in and out. If your sole purpose is to go run errands then standard auto coverage is what the car should be placed with.

It is all risk vs reward. 99% of the time the price is 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of standard auto coverage, BUT the owner of the car should use the cars within the policy guidelines. We get that no everyone fits the program. No need to be unhappy about that, it just doesn't fit for your situation.

I had a couple Vettes several years ago (1969 Vert and a 2000 Coupe). I used the 2000 wherever and whenever I wanted....The 1969 is my baby, so it is not used for errands. I couldn't write my own coverage for the 2000, but could for the 1969. My 2000 stayed with my standard carrier and the 1969 was on our collector policy.

Thanks!

Adam Boca
www.ncminsurance.com

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

We are located, owned/operated by the National Corvette Museum. 100% of the commission goes directly back into the museum to support our mission, and not an agents pockets.
That's something to consider when I'm up for renewal.

When I last shopped, the NCM price was a bit more for my 86 & 04.
If the price was a bit less, I would have jumped on it.
Just saying that saving a few bucks will make a difference when it comes time to decide.

Does your policy cover glass breakage?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
That's something to consider when I'm up for renewal.

When I last shopped, the NCM price was a bit more for my 86 & 04.
If the price was a bit less, I would have jumped on it.
Just saying that saving a few bucks will make a difference when it comes time to decide.

Does your policy cover glass breakage?

Give Bobbie Jo or I a call directly, our online rater doesn't have all of the discounts built into it. We should have no problem being very competitive.

We have glass breakage on the $0 deductible and if you have a deductible we have a full safety glass coverage available for a small fee.

Thanks!!

Adam Boca
www.ncminsurance.com
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Quick Reply: Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...