Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:11 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Default Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...

This past Friday I spent the day looking for a new insurance company that could handle both my homeowners and auto insurance, and I found out some very interesting things....The 2 companys I visited, Stare Farm, and Erie, both now have Collector car insurance with agreed values... This is something I didn't know and was glad to find out...The reasons I didn't go with National Corvette Museum, Hagerty or most of the other collector car insurers was because they had mileage limitations of 3000 to 6000 miles, and I sometimes like to drive my car more then that a year , so this wouldn't work for me...The stipulation is you must have your other daily driver cars insured with both State farm and Erie to get the Collector car insurance with them... Im now paying $262.00 dollars a year for full coverage 100,000/300,000/100,000 with a guaranteed payout of $14,000 if the car is totaled..And here's the "BIG SURPRISE" , There is no mileage limitation , so I can drive it as often as I want....There were also no other stipulations on use except I couldn't use the car for work..The girl at Erie told me alot of insurance companys are now offering this type of insurance as incentive to draw more customers to the companys...Just thought I would let you guys know there are now some new options out there......WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-21-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 AM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
This past Friday I spent the day looking for a new insurance company that could handle both my homeowners and auto insurance, and I found out some very interesting things....The 2 companys I visited, Stare Farm, and Erie, both now have Collector car insurance with agreed values... This is something I didn't know and was glad to find out...The reasons I didn't go with National Corvette Museum, Hagerty or Grundy was because they had mileage limitations of 3000 to 5000 miles, and I like to drive my car up to 8000 miles a year sometimes , so this wouldn't work for me...The stipulation is you must have your other daily driver cars insured with both State farm and Erie to get the Collector car insurance with them... Im now paying $262 dollars a year for full coverage 100,000/300,000/100,000 with a guaranteed payout of $14,000 if the car is totaled..And here's the "BIG SURPRISE" , There is no mileage limitation , so I can drive it as often as I want....There were also no other stipulations on use except I couldn't use the car for work..The girl at Erie told me alot of insurance companys are now offering this type of insurance as incentive to draw more customers to the companys...Just thought I would let you guys know there are now some new options out there......WW
Good to know and glad you found coverage that meets your needs.
However, for edification purposes, Grundy doesn't have mileage stipulations other than you cannot drive it to work or as your DD.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
Good to know and glad you found coverage that meets your needs.
However, for edification purposes, Grundy doesn't have mileage stipulations other than you cannot drive it to work or as your DD.
Noted and corrected........WW
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I need to look into that.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:07 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Thank you for that info
Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
This past Friday I spent the day looking for a new insurance company that could handle both my homeowners and auto insurance, and I found out some very interesting things....The 2 companys I visited, Stare Farm, and Erie, both now have Collector car insurance with agreed values... This is something I didn't know and was glad to find out...The reasons I didn't go with National Corvette Museum, Hagerty or most of the other collector car insurers was because they had mileage limitations of 3000 to 5000 miles, and I sometimes like to drive my car more then that a year , so this wouldn't work for me...The stipulation is you must have your other daily driver cars insured with both State farm and Erie to get the Collector car insurance with them... Im now paying $262 dollars a year for full coverage 100,000/300,000/100,000 with a guaranteed payout of $14,000 if the car is totaled..And here's the "BIG SURPRISE" , There is no mileage limitation , so I can drive it as often as I want....There were also no other stipulations on use except I couldn't use the car for work..The girl at Erie told me alot of insurance companys are now offering this type of insurance as incentive to draw more customers to the companys...Just thought I would let you guys know there are now some new options out there......WW
Couple of questions here Wayne...
What do you mean by FULL coverage?
Comp
Fire
collision
Theft
Glass
Spare parts in the garage
Flat bed towing
Is there a deductible...

Just asking..
Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Couple of questions here Wayne...
What do you mean by FULL coverage?
Comp
Fire
collision
Theft
Glass
Spare parts in the garage
Flat bed towing
Is there a deductible...

Just asking..
No problem Mike...
I have the same coverage on the Vette as I have on the other 2 cars Collision, comprehensive,Liability, fire, theft , glass replacement, I didn't get towing because we have "AAA plus".This is a 12 month policy....I'll just post a photo of that part of my policy so you can see for yourself, it's easier then typing it ..Where it says "Stated Amount" is the $14,000 agreed amount which will be on the actual policy, this is just a copy/quote from the agent, they have to send someone out to photograph my car before they issue the actual policy stating $14,000 agreed value.....Vehicle #2 is the Corvette....By the way, if anyone is looking for coverage for all your cars, Erie insurance beat 21st Century insurance by a little over $600.00 a year,and that was with just liability on the Corvette with 21st Century , not full coverage. State Farm was $75.00 higher for the same coverage..."Shop around".....WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-19-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Noted and corrected........WW

That's who I have my Vette insured with- and American Family wanted an appraisal on the car to insure it for what I wanted to insured it for- yeah, right......that I would pay for it.....ain't going to happen....

I did however have to submit color pictures of the car for underwriting ........no problem there....

I've great coverage now with no deductible, cut my insurance rates by nearly half and have a worry free mind when I back it out of the garage.

But yes, no dice on driving to work, has to be garaged, no one under 21 years could drive it............easy to say yes on all of those for me......
Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Heysailor
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WW7... I switched to State Farm several months ago for my insurance on my 96 Lt1, my DD Trail Blazer and my homeowners. The Vette total coverage is only... are you ready for this... only $12.72 per month ! My total insurance package was much lower in all categories.

Without going into all the details,... clean driving record, I'm retired, no claims, live in eastern Missouri, etc. etc... State Farm has some great policy options available for C4 owners. If you are considering a change in your insurance policies check out State Farm Ins.

When reviewing my options I checked all the routine C4 carriers, Grundy, NCM, etc. and the best for my area was State Farm. I was with American Family for over 10 years and they couldn't even come close to the C4 coverage.

Good Luck...
Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Mark8801
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow! We pay over 3 times that for three vehicles with the lizard company. We do have a teen age driver on our policy, but still.

Thanks for bringing this up. It's been something I've been meaning to look into.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Insurance

Sounds like what I have through Continental Western Group (part of Berkley Classics) on my Vette & T-Bird. Agreed value, no mileage limit if over 20 years old and is not a daily driver. They seem to insure just about any type of vehicle whether sports car, muscle cars, fire engines, replicars, exotics, even tractors and motorcycles.
They don't write in every state though so it depends on where you live.
I did have to submit a couple of pictures of the car during the underwriting.
Easy to work with and I have no complaints. I think mine averages just over $200 a year per vehicle so I'm happy.
The more options/info we have, the better chance of getting affordable insurance for your vehicle and style. Thanks for sharing your info.

Last edited by hcbph; 10-19-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Heysailor
WW7... I switched to State Farm several months ago for my insurance on my 96 Lt1, my DD Trail Blazer and my homeowners. The Vette total coverage is only... are you ready for this... only $12.72 per month ! My total insurance package was much lower in all categories.

Without going into all the details,... clean driving record, I'm retired, no claims, live in eastern Missouri, etc. etc... State Farm has some great policy options available for C4 owners. If you are considering a change in your insurance policies check out State Farm Ins.

When reviewing my options I checked all the routine C4 carriers, Grundy, NCM, etc. and the best for my area was State Farm. I was with American Family for over 10 years and they couldn't even come close to the C4 coverage.

Good Luck...
Nice.....I see you are nearby- O'Fallon, Mo. here....

State Farm is a reputable insurance company- the only thing about them is, they are quick to UNinsure (cancel your policy) if they feel you are "high risk" at some point- like when you have a claim(s).....
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default State Farm

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Nice.....I see you are nearby- O'Fallon, Mo. here....

State Farm is a reputable insurance company- the only thing about them is, they are quick to UNinsure (cancel your policy) if they feel you are "high risk" at some point- like when you have a claim(s).....
They will also redline you very quickly. Lived in St Louis north of Gravois about 1/2 block, been a customer for about 10 years and got a letter they wouldn't insure me in that area. I moved on and haven't looked back even when they solicited me a few years back. While laughing, told the agent why they were wasting my time.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Heysailor
Advanced

All of the above comments are realistic... insurance companies and their coverages are like a "rolling ball"... they are always changing their positions. What is good today, is lousy tomorrow.

They are in business to make a profit and as a client I'm always looking for the best deal. So, I have no great allegiance for any of them and do my due diligence periodically when reviewing my coverage needs.

This is too important of a "requirement" in today's society to just buy some coverage policies and let them collect dust in your desk drawer and hope they will be adequate when and if needed.

Do your "homework" and you"ll generally save some bucks in the long run.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

I can't complain since I have Hagerty Insurance. I have my 2 Model A's and my 88 verte insured with Hagerty and my total cost is $425.00 a year. They have never asked me how many miles I drive and I have complete collision and comprehensive coverage with no deductibles. I must admit though, I do have an advantage as our statewide Hagerty rep. lives about a mile from my house and we are good friends. Course there are times I have to help him at his booth at car shows. This year I have to help him at the Good Guys event in Scottsdale but it not hard since all I have to do is hand out goodie bags and give prospects his business card.
Tommy
Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good morning, just wanted to step in and offer some other information.

According to the photo of the coverage page you have what's called Stated Amount. This is much different that Agreed Value coverage.

Stated Value says that the insurance company will pay "Up To" the Stated Amount. If you read in between the lines you have honestly no real protection at all. You are paying a premium based upon a certain amount, but have to prove that the car is really worth that amount at the time of the loss. You will be hit with depreciation.

With Agreed Value Coverage the Agreed Value is what you are paid. No depreciation at all.

Plus, you are dealing with people who understand what your car is all about. Most of the claims adjustors out there are dealing with Toyota Camry's, Cobalts, etc. I wouldn't want them touching my C4 with a clam shell hood, or trying to put a reman part on my car. Our adjustors are company owned and know collector cars. They are subcontractors working for several companies.

We are located, owned/operated by the National Corvette Museum. 100% of the commission goes directly back into the museum to support our mission, and not an agents pockets. This is a great way to support the hobby while purchasing something you must have.

We, too, have Unlimited Mileage. Often times we can fit someone into a mileage plan. We typically sell the following mileage plans 1,000, 3,000 or 6,000 miles per year. We don't believe that everyone fits in a one size fits all policy. Options = GOOD!

I just ran your quote on our side and with a Agreed Value of $14K, $500 deductible and the same levels of coverage with Unlimited Mileage we would be around $244.34 per year. With the 6,000 mile plan you would be at $223.22 per year.

This includes trip interruption coverage, $2,000 in spare parts coverage, etc.

If anyone else would like to talk or check us out please go to www.ncminsurance.com for a quote or call 877.678.7626. We have a great team ready to assist.

Last edited by Adam Boca; 10-20-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:27 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Good morning, just wanted to step in and offer some other information.

According to the photo of the coverage page you have what's called Stated Amount. This is much different that Agreed Value coverage.

Stated Value says that the insurance company will pay "Up To" the Stated Amount. If you read in between the lines you have honestly no real protection at all. You are paying a premium based upon a certain amount, but have to prove that the car is really worth that amount at the time of the loss. You will be hit with depreciation.

With Agreed Value Coverage the Agreed Value is what you are paid. No depreciation at all.

Plus, you are dealing with people who understand what your car is all about. Most of the claims adjustors out there are dealing with Toyota Camry's, Cobalts, etc. I wouldn't want them touching my C4 with a clam shell hood, or trying to put a reman part on my car. Our adjustors are company owned and know collector cars. They are subcontractors working for several companies.

We are located, owned/operated by the National Corvette Museum. 100% of the commission goes directly back into the museum to support our mission, and not an agents pockets. This is a great way to support the hobby while purchasing something you must have.

We, too, have Unlimited Mileage. Often times we can fit someone into a mileage plan. We typically sell the following mileage plans 1,000, 3,000 or 6,000 miles per year. We don't believe that everyone fits in a one size fits all policy. Options = GOOD!

I just ran your quote on our side and with a Agreed Value of $14K, $500 deductible and the same levels of coverage with Unlimited Mileage we would be around $244.34 per year. With the 6,000 mile plan you would be at $223.22 per year.

This includes trip interruption coverage, $2,000 in spare parts coverage, etc.

If anyone else would like to talk or check us out please go to www.ncminsurance.com for a quote or call 877.678.7626. We have a great team ready to assist.
Adam,

What states do you "NOT WRITE" in? I believe that should be much shorter than the "DO WRITE" list. I would hope anyway.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...

Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here are the states we cant write in...

North Carolina
Mass
Alaska
Hawaii
New York (But my carrier can write it)

Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Here are the states we cant write in...

North Carolina
Mass
Alaska
Hawaii
New York (But my carrier can write it)

Thanks!!
Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus with NCM I can drive my Vette to work once in a while. 2 days per week which I don't.

Quick Reply: Insurance companys are changing...Check this out...