C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dash Buttons Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM
papatioman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Buttons Sticking

Hello all.....brand new here. I work on a variety of different cars and I am a member of several forums already. Forums are a great place to exchange ideas and get answers to questions. That being said, my first question. Just purchased a 1989 Corvette Coupe and I noticed that a lot of the dash buttons stick really bad, i.e. AC controls etc. If I push really hard they seem to break loose and work fine but are stuck again the next day. I don't know if a previous owner may have been a smoker causing a build up in the buttons or not. Is there a spray that I can use on these buttons to remedy this? Been considering WD40.

Thanks.............

Gary

Last edited by papatioman; 10-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Went
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a AC control panel (1989) with a mind of it's own. I pulled the panel and used MG Chemicals contact cleaner on it. Sprayed the whole panel with it and gently blew it out to dry several times. I sprayed the front around the buttons and into the back side through a couple small holes. The buttons work and the panel now works correctly.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
papatioman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Went
I had a AC control panel (1989) with a mind of it's own. I pulled the panel and used MG Chemicals contact cleaner on it. Sprayed the whole panel with it and gently blew it out to dry several times. I sprayed the front around the buttons and into the back side through a couple small holes. The buttons work and the panel now works correctly.
Thanks Went......I'm assuming the AC panel is removable by your post. Have not had a chance to take a long look at it. I just finished a MG restoration and my honey-do list got really long.....catching up now. Will take a close look at it this weekend.

Gary
Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by papatioman
Thanks Went......I'm assuming the AC panel is removable by your post. Have not had a chance to take a long look at it. I just finished a MG restoration and my honey-do list got really long.....catching up now. Will take a close look at it this weekend.

Gary
There is a sticky under the tech section 4th down from the top. I think it will cover your problem. Dave
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM
papatioman
Advanced

Originally Posted by davewhtt
There is a sticky under the tech section 4th down from the top. I think it will cover your problem. Dave
Thanks Dave......it is now the 5th one down and will change as new ones are being added. This sticky explains how to replace the buttons. My work fine once I get them unstuck. Just looking for a way to get them cleaned up so they no longer stick.

Gary
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
davewhtt
Pro

When working on electrical connections on my boats over the years ive had good luck with CRC cleaner. I finish it up with a thin coat of dialectric greese. My 93 will get a sticky button now and then but not bad enough to put it on my list...yet
Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM
papatioman
Advanced

When working on electrical connections on my boats over the years ive had good luck with CRC cleaner. I finish it up with a thin coat of dialectric greese. My 93 will get a sticky button now and then but not bad enough to put it on my list...yet
Thanks Dave,

I'm always looking for an easy way out. Do you think I can spray the front of the buttons while pushing on them or will I have to remove the suspect panel and do it from the rear side?

Gary
Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Thanks Dave,

I'm always looking for an easy way out. Do you think I can spray the front of the buttons while pushing on them or will I have to remove the suspect panel and do it from the rear side?

Gary
Id try it first the CRC quick dry is made to be used on plastics wont hurt them. I used it on my door jam switch and it helped for a while. I replaced drivers side a few weeks ago. Use the red straw and have at at. Good luck
Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
papatioman
Advanced

Id try it first the CRC quick dry is made to be used on plastics wont hurt them. I used it on my door jam switch and it helped for a while. I replaced drivers side a few weeks ago. Use the red straw and have at at. Good luck

will do....thanks for the help...will check it out this weekend.....
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

This

Name:  image-2194939381.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  64.3 KB

Computer pros use it to clean keyboards all the time.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:36 PM
papatioman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dt86
This

Attachment 47835351

Computer pros use it to clean keyboards all the time.
Radio Shack should have something similar....right?

Gary
Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Radio Shack should have something similar....right? Gary
Should have something similar I imagine.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Radio Shack should have something similar....right?

Gary
Yeah thats the stuff i get it at Wally world.

Last edited by davewhtt; 10-22-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Buttons Sticking

Quick Reply: Dash Buttons Sticking