Corvette Salvage yards blow.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default Corvette Salvage yards blow.

I haven't tried to deal w/"Vette salvage yards much, but evey time I have, it's been more than disappointing. The service (if you could call it that) is atrocious.

Corvette Recycling: I've called them twice for something; first, a C4 frame. Called they didn't have a fully stripped car (? -don't they dismantle and inventory parts?) but they'd call me back when they did. That was two years ago. Never heard back.

Now, I'm looking for an EGR pipe. Called Corvette recycling again. First they were struggling to determine the difference between a TPI and LT1 (I have an LT1). Then they realized that they have one...but don't know if they want to sell it. Can't decide if they want to part the car. "When will you make that decision?" -I asked thinking maybe I'd call back. "Dunno". O.K.....
Engine and Drivetrain selection

Dino's Corvette Salvage and sales. He has one....$125. I told him that GM parts Direct has them brand new, for $85. "Well, you should buy it from them, then". O.K.....
Engine and Related parts

Contemporary Corvette. Has 'em, but don't want to sell it b/c he doesn't want to "part engines". Yeah, I get that, but the EGR pipe doesn't make an engine un sellable. The car the motor is going into probably has an EGR pipe on it too. Whatever.
Emissions parts

Just Corvettes; Waiting for a call back so the jury is still out...but look at the web site when you click on "C4"! Terrible!
C4 parts

Also, has anyone seen the web sites for these places?? They're total garbage! Look at the links I provided above...look at all the parts options. Seriously?? That is all they have in stock for engine parts/emissions parts?? I find that hard to believe. It's like these places don't want to actually sell, a part. Places are worthless, as far as I can tell. All of them.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM
fpnmf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried http://www.vette2vette.com/ yet??
Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

oh, and some parts, buy new... especially the EGR tube!

I agree 100% with vette2vette.com.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-sparky.html

Corvettenutz always willing to go the extra mile. Shawn even spent time on the phone with me when I was doing my LS swap so I got the right parts.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can understand why they wouldn't want to sell an EGR pipe since, it makes better sense to sell the engine complete and not strip all the little parts off of it.

But, they could have a better attitude about it!...

I have also, used Vette2Vette to buy a rear wheel well liner, with no problems...
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I haven't tried to deal w/"Vette salvage yards much, but evey time I have, it's been more than disappointing. The service (if you could call it that) is atrocious.

Corvette Recycling: I've called them twice for something; first, a C4 frame. Called they didn't have a fully stripped car (? -don't they dismantle and inventory parts?) but they'd call me back when they did. That was two years ago. Never heard back.

Now, I'm looking for an EGR pipe. Called Corvette recycling again. First they were struggling to determine the difference between a TPI and LT1 (I have an LT1). Then they realized that they have one...but don't know if they want to sell it. Can't decide if they want to part the car. "When will you make that decision?" -I asked thinking maybe I'd call back. "Dunno". O.K.....

Dino's Corvette Salvage and sales. He has one....$125. I told him that GM parts Direct has them brand new, for $85. "Well, you should buy it from them, then". O.K.....
Engine and Related parts

Contemporary Corvette. Has 'em, but don't want to sell it b/c he doesn't want to "part engines". Yeah, I get that, but the EGR pipe doesn't make an engine un sellable. The car the motor is going into probably has an EGR pipe on it too. Whatever.
Emissions parts

Just Corvettes; Waiting for a call back so the jury is still out...but look at the web site when you click on "C4"! Terrible!
C4 parts

Also, has anyone seen the web sites for these places?? They're total garbage! Look at the links I provided above...look at all the parts options. Seriously?? That is all they have in stock for engine parts/emissions parts?? I find that hard to believe. It's like these places don't want to actually sell, a part. Places are worthless, as far as I can tell. All of them.
try fparts on Ebay near Phila.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:38 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

I’ve used Taber Corvette Parts, located in Indiana.

They’ve gone as far as walking the lot for me right before closing to locate six specific screws I was looking for (this was this past August). The guy helping me even stayed a little over to confirm these were what I needed (can’t remember his name).

Everything I have ever received from them was well protected when shipped. Never experienced a bad attitude.

I’ve even sent photos of what I was looking for and they were able to match up exactly what I needed. They have always reported the realistic condition of the parts and have not falsely represented their descriptions.

https://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/

Good luck on you parts hunt!

B17Crew
Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Try finding an early C4 egr pipe. Lol. Not many left.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:50 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I have gotten a bunch of things from Vette2Vette. Jason has been pretty good to deal with, but I live close enough that I have just gone there instead of shipping.

He has a mix of prices where I have got some stuff at really good prices, but passed on a couple others.

This spring I got a driver's side window switch from Taber in IN. For some reason it was on sale, but it was about 1/3 the price I could find elsewhere. Shipping was quick and the part looks to be good condition.

I would consider using them again too.

Last edited by QCVette; 10-22-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added Taber experience (I forgot earlier)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:02 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

I'm guessing this is the right side AIR pipe that you need and I doubt it's even available new and I believe is a '92 - '93 Corvette only application. I think I'd do a wanted to buy here on the forum for maybe someone parting a car. Anyone(salvage yard) with a "running" LT1 wouldn't want to sell off parts and I don't believe you would either.

Right side AIR I believe attaches to the rear of the intake with a 2 bolt flange and likely has a shield made to it.

Oreilly actually offered up an image of it:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2121&ppt=C0018

If this isn't the part then I've missed something.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by B17Crew
I’ve used Taber Corvette Parts, located in Indiana.

They’ve gone as far as walking the lot for me right before closing to locate six specific screws I was looking for (this was this past August). The guy helping me even stayed a little over to confirm these were what I needed (can’t remember his name).

Everything I have ever received from them was well protected when shipped. Never experienced a bad attitude.

I’ve even sent photos of what I was looking for and they were able to match up exactly what I needed. They have always reported the realistic condition of the parts and have not falsely represented their descriptions.

https://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/

Good luck on you parts hunt!

B17Crew
I live about 2 miles from Taber. Easy to deal with. If you need anything from them I may be able to help. Just PM me.
Sea4parts sells on here. Prices are great. Shipping was a little slow but the deal was unbeatable.
I have an early C4 EGR flex if its what you need.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Thanks for the tips. I will give the options that I was unaware of, a try.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'm guessing this is the right side AIR pipe that you need and I doubt it's even available new.

Right side AIR I believe attaches to the rear of the intake with a 2 bolt flange and likely has a shield made to it.

Oreilly actually offered up an image of it:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2121&ppt=C0018

If this isn't the part then I've missed something.
You are right on all counts. That IS the part. It is NLA from GM. GP Parts Direct and O'Reilly show it as available, but when I called O'Reilly, they couldn't give me a price or shipping date.

I have posted a WTB in the classifieds section.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I've dealt with Contemporary Corvette multiple times. I think they're over priced.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Engine and Related parts

Emissions parts

C4 parts

Try this http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts/Cars-/...=p4634.c0.m322

they specialize in used corvette, camaro, and firebird parts
Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Just bought one from Corvettenutz. (taber and v2v are closed right now). Place was great though. Guy walked out in the yard, found one, took a pic and texted it to me...just exactly the type of transaction that I was looking for.

Interestingly, he doesn't list this part on his site b/c he sells out of them already anyway.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Just completed a great deal with Randy at CORVETTE CORNER SALES AND PARTS. 1540 POTTSVILLE PIKE SHOEMAKERSVILLE, PA-19555 and couldn't be happier.

Sure couldn't hurt to give him a call and see if he has what you want or might have a led... 1-484/824-3143.

good luck
Rog
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I've used Dino's Corvette Salvage for some interior bits on my old C6. They were great, and I couldn't complain at all. I'd say the issue comes down to the part you're looking for, and the time to remove it as well as the cost to tear down a complete engine and no longer had a complete engine when you sell it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Salvage yards blow.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd venture a guess that most salvage yards are old school sorts of places. Taking the time and money to get a web site up and running is not an expenditure many of these places can afford.

Granted the old saying you have to spend money to make money is many times very real, but in these days it's also tough to come up with the resources.... jmo

But, phone calls are not that terribly difficult either....

Engine and Related parts

Emissions parts

C4 parts

Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Some pics I took of Jason's Vette2Vette shop while writing an article for Corvette Enthusiast magazine.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Some interesting things I learned about Jason and his business: Gordon Killebrew never had a son and has told everyone that Jason is his "adopted" son. Gordon has built test equipment for Jason and visits his shop on occasion. He has passed on his knowledge of C4s and ZR-1s to Jason and is usually available to give Jason advice.
The Vette2Vette shop is located in Streator, IL and is in an old Coca Cola bottling plant. There is plenty of room to dismantle the C4 and C5 wrecks he buys and to keep all the parts inside and out of the weather.
Jason usually gets his cars by bidding on insurance cases but has bought a few from private owners. He told of a mature widow that had purchased a new C4 back in the day for her younger lover. Boyfriend called late one night to say that he had been drinking and ran the car into a pole. She discovered that the young stud was with another woman when he wrecked the Vette. She had it towed to her home and took a hammer to the car so that he would never be able to drive it again. Jason bought that one for cheap and sold all the useable parts!
Jason also said that front end parts are usually the hardest to find and most wrecks involve the front end.

Quick Reply: Corvette Salvage yards blow.